The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Current 47 FET clones? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Current 47 FET clones?

Has anyone used - possibly compared - the current offerings in U47 FET clones?
As of this writing I‘m aware of the following:
- Neumann reissue
- Bock iFet
- Horch FM2J (VERY curious about this!)
- Wunder CM7 FET
Intended uses would mainly be bassdrum, bass amp, guitar amp and loud vocals.
(None of the threads suggested by the system had anything more recent than 2009)
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Warm Audio is about to release a 47fet for about 300$.

https://www.warmaudio.com/wa47jr
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

There's an advanced audio, something like CM48fet ve, that's supposed to be a fet U48-sounding mic.
Old 14th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
- Neumann reissue
- Bock iFet
- Wunder CM7 FET
(None of the threads suggested by the system had anything more recent than 2009)
Andy, i would not over look the Lawson mics.
i like-em.
Old 14th November 2017
My old mate Spencer Horton from Ipswich UK makes them in his shed, he uses a Canadian capsule and they sound very genuine to me.
Old 14th November 2017
Gear Nut
NEW FLEA 47 SUPERFET and FLEA 48 SUPERFET - FLEA - custom made microphones
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
My old mate Spencer Horton from Ipswich UK makes them in his shed, he uses a Canadian capsule and they sound very genuine to me.
Link please
Old 14th November 2017
The Horch is very, very good. Makes the Neumann sound like a cheap clone.
Old 14th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Link please
Mohawk Studios - Suffolk Recording Studio - Mohawk Studios
Spencer is the bloke.:-)X
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

For a 47 FET, the Advanced Audio is spot-on. Have an orig. Neumann and the AA and they get used interchangeably. Get the upgraded model. Great company.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

I Reviewed the Neumann Reissue along side 3 vintage specimens at the Chicago Recording company a few years back and it is a spot on recreation in every way.

I also am a huge fan of the Bock iFet which not only gets super close to the sound and feel of a real U47FET but also has a second voicing option making it very versatile.

On the highly affordable side the Roswell Pro Audio Mini K-47 is a great mic in this same vein, although its more of an all rounder and more open and not as true to the as Klause Heine calls it "cotton mouthed" sound as the Neumann originals and reissue.
Old 14th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
For a 47 FET, the Advanced Audio is spot-on. Have an orig. Neumann and the AA and they get used interchangeably. Get the upgraded model. Great company.
Yeah that's true. The AA has that same low mid sound with very little top. I just find it a little noisier is all.

Neither come close to the Horch FMJ2 in terms of depth and height.
Old 15th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Link please
VintageMicrophonepcbkit.com
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

3U Audio GZ47FET V. I've got 2. Damn nice mics, totally in the ballpark of a real 47FET (from memory, used to have engineers put 'em up in studios all the time years ago on lots of different sources), affordable, well-built. Couldn't be happier.
Definitely worth checking out.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

I just tried out the Advanced Audio CM47FET (the 'special' version) and it won the spot as my new 'go to' front-of-kick mic.

Definitely had plenty of punch and body, though I was a bit surprised it's not as uber-low as expected. According to their website there's an internal filter in the 'special' version that produces a response closer to the 'classic' 47FET (with a gentle rolloff under 100hz). The helpful rep told me there's a simple internal switch I can flip to see if I prefer the unfiltered response. But already I'm sold on this mic over the other affordable options. I'd still love to hear a Bock iFet, or an original or reissue Neumann, of course. But I can say that to my ears, the Advanced Audio CM47FET was a real winner and a great value.

Old 19th November 2017
Gear Head

Another vote for the Horch FM2J. It is very fast and an incredibly versatile mic. I recently used it for acoustic guitar and vocals and achieved excellent results.

Here is a german online review. The video shows a direct comparison with the Neumann. The voice wouldn't be a match for this mic. They also did the mistake to use the red mode (= "vocal mode"!) for recording kick drum. Clever..

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzel...fm2j-test.html

As a potent low budget solution for outer kickdrum I highly recommend a used CAD E100 MK1 (round badge). It is dirt cheap in the US and when you compare the frequency response with a U47fet, you will see some similarities.

Best,

Stephan
Old 19th November 2017
I'm cheap and went microphone-parts with a MCA SP-1 and the k-47 capsule. Sounds great, sorta like a U-47 fet with better Hi-Fi and lower noise.
Old 2nd February 2018
Horch FM2J very modern sound

The FM2J is one of my favorite LDC’s. I would go so far to call it one of my desert island mics. It does not sound like any vintage mic, despite its 47FET-like body. The Mic does not even have a big-basket resonant mid push. It has extended low and high ends. The response is smooth all the way through and it takes EQ well. The upper mids are slightly up-front without any of the nasal qualities of the U87. The FM2J’s high frequency reproduction of sibilance is unmatched by most mics. This ultra-clean up-front character is very unvintage-like. And it has all polar patterns. If I were starting over from scratch, the FM2J would be my first purchase. My three most used vocal mics, in order, are Pearlman TM1, Horch FM2J, and Peluso P-67. Four and five are AKG C414B-ULS and Neumann U87.

The Pearlman sounds as close to a U47 as any I’ve heard, to answer your original inquiry.

Last edited by rustyd100; 2nd February 2018 at 05:24 AM..
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

I use the Beesneez T3 and have been quite pleased with it. It's not particularly fast - I beat it in a 100 meter dash and I'm sort of slow - but it works great at capturing sound in all the places the 47FET is suppose to excel.

I've never compared it to it's competitors.
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'm cheap and went microphone-parts with a MCA SP-1 and the k-47 capsule. Sounds great, sorta like a U-47 fet with better Hi-Fi and lower noise.
Interesting. In have a couple of these SP1's that i modded with better caps, JFET, RK47..you know the drill :-). But the real winner is a modded MCA SP1 with a Microphone-Parts RK7. It's too bad they don't sell them anymore. That is dangerously close to U47fet.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Nut

Stam Audio SA-47F.

Has gotten great reviews thus far
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
- Neumann reissue
- Bock iFet
- Wunder CM7 FET
I've heard and worked with the Bock iFet, and I own and frequently use the new Neumann U47fet. The Bock is a great mic, but it has a grainy quality (to my ears) that some prefer and some don't. It comes down to sonic preferences. I like the new Neumann U47fet better, which is indistinguishable to the other runs of the Neumann U47fet (if the old ones are in good shape).

Additionally, I don't believe the Neumann should not be considered a clone, it is merely another production run. Klaus even considers it a perfect 1:1 reissue.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Nut

Is the Advanced Audio CM47FET/CE still considered the best sub-$500 U47 FET Clone?
Anyone have experience with it?

I’m highly considering buying one for kick drum and bass cab duties.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Addict

I am going to test drive the Warm 47jr.
Its cheap enough to put outside a BD and forget about it. Also on Toms where I now use Aston Origin...
will report when appropriate
Old 23rd April 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrek_clay View Post
Stam Audio SA-47F.

Has gotten great reviews thus far
I have about 12 of these left in stock
, same week shipping. I tried 7 capsules and 8 transformers on this one, the Maiku K47 and Cinemag transformer is the best sounding combination for a FET47 clone. It's an amazing mic and underrated!
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrek_clay View Post
Is the Advanced Audio CM47FET/CE still considered the best sub-$500 U47 FET Clone?
Anyone have experience with it?

I’m highly considering buying one for kick drum and bass cab duties.
I have the CE. I honesty don’t use it much and I’m not exactly sure why. I’ve never compared it with any fet 47 clone. It doesn’t seem to have a huge amount of bottom end. That may well be true to form with an original 47 fet. Can anyone tell me how to do that modification that gives it more low end. If true? I am using an AKG 414 on bass cab for the low end at the moment combined with Re 20. AKG seems to have more lows than AA fet 47. Once again, it may very well compare great to a real 47 Fet. It’s a fine mic. Not a criticism. I was just expecting something different I guess.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I have the CE. I honesty don’t use it much and I’m not exactly sure why. I’ve never compared it with any fet 47 clone. It doesn’t seem to have a huge amount of bottom end. That may well be true to form with an original 47 fet. Can anyone tell me how to do that modification that gives it more low end. If true? I am using an AKG 414 on bass cab for the low end at the moment combined with Re 20. AKG seems to have more lows than AA fet 47. Once again, it may very well compare great to a real 47 Fet. It’s a fine mic. Not a criticism. I was just expecting something different I guess.
Read the website, apparently there's a jumper on the inside which (by default) is a gentle bass roll-off to mimick the behaviour of the 47Fet. You can disable that rolloff to get more lows.

Herwig
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
- Neumann reissue
- Bock iFet
- Wunder CM7 FET
If you want a U47fet buy the original (ie: the Neumann reissue) - everything else is a copy.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
If you want a U47fet buy the original (ie: the Neumann reissue) - everything else is a copy.
I am still shocked at what a great vocal mic the U47fet can be. When paired with the right preamp, it can sound stunning.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

A real FET 47 is as I’ve saud many times before possibly the flexible mic around.

As John said get a real one or go home. I’ve both a residue FET and U67 on my shopping list this coming year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search