The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fave vocal EQ Equalisers (HW)
Old 8th September 2006
  #61
AB3
Lives for gear
 

Sphere 920
Old 8th September 2006
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Siemens W295b
or
Neumann TEVa
or
Sphere 910 graphic
or
Quad Eight mm310

It depends, but those are the only eq's I have, so...
one of them usually helps more than hurts.
Old 8th September 2006
  #63
Gear Maniac
 

I usually use a pultec EQP-1r, and possibly some massive passive. Sometimes the Melcor GME20 rocks for a little "chest"... i dunno, this is SO case specific. ( what isnt? )
Old 8th September 2006
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
AdamLazlo's Avatar
 

Manley Massive Passive... still trying to justify it, considering my lack of EQ these last few years, and cost but... considering its versatility, channels, and price, it's worth it. The Maselec MEA-2 is also beautiful, beyond beautiful, but best for mastering.

When it comes down to 'cream-my-jeans': the GML 8200 is the most divine EQ I ever worked with... for tracking, mixing, 2-mix, or mastering.

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 8th September 2006
  #65
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
I rented a GML 8200 last week for a mix and it was A M A Z I N G!!!!!! Ran it from the 8200 through my Summit DCL 200 for compression and it worked out great.
Old 8th September 2006
  #66
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Shep SN8.. PEACE
Wiggy

Me Too! I get to use all the vintage Neves, APIs, new thsi, latest greatest that, blah-blah-blah. The Shep SN8s are SOOOO AMAZING! I love them. One of the best things ever made for recording.

They are my fav solid state boxes


my secret weapon
Old 8th September 2006
  #67
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Usually the EQ on a Neve or the Aurora GTQ2.... But, the Avedis E27 is the "go to" EQ for a lot of things nowadays, including vocals. Also, the Massive Passive, Pultec EQP1a's, API 550a/b, and the Summit EQP200 are also very good vocal EQ's.
Old 27th September 2010
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Surbitone's Avatar
Neumann MPE10 (nebula version) or Siemens W295b are my current favourite vox EQs (and acc guitar for that matter) Some of the stuff, particularly coming from Germany at that time is on another plateau!
Old 28th September 2010
  #69
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

of course the Harrison Series 12 EQ (console EQ) - occasionally the Little Freq or the Buzz Audio REQ
Old 28th September 2010
  #70
Lil FreQ or - yes - an 8200 here.

The De-Ess - almost as important as EQ to this guy - on the Lil FreQ is amazing. If I don't hit that, then I use an SPL.

-A
Old 28th September 2010
  #71
Lives for gear
 
airmate's Avatar
 

it is very interesting that the w295b has been mentioned more often than any other eq. i own a pair of them and they practically live on my background vocal buss. for leadvocals i have been getting great results with a 1084 or a great river harrison 32eq recently during mixdown.

when i record vocals myself i prefer to get along without eq, though.
my favorite chain as of late is either a u47 or m269c through a v72 and a 525. no eq necessary...

and don't underestimate the electrodyne 511! i own a pair, and if i wouldn't use them on the drum buss for most of the time, i would love to put some vocals through them. gotta get more of these!
Old 28th September 2010
  #72
Gear Addict
 
francois's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Neve 1081 is the bomb for me on vocals.. put the right comp in the chin while tracking, and I am way happy.. then just run the vox back through the eq section during mix and voila!. I really need to get one to live here permanantly..
What he said
Old 28th September 2010
  #73
Well since that got resurrected, these days it's usually an Oram Al Schmitt box, the compressor and eq are wonderful. For a month a had a Lil freq here and that was really really really nice too
Old 28th September 2010
  #74
Gear Addict
 
francois's Avatar
Also Pultec eq1 but since i do not own one I go for the next best thing Tube tech PE1c
Old 28th September 2010
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
Wow, this thread's a blast from the past.
Old 28th September 2010
  #76
Lives for gear
 
JCRockit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
it is very interesting that the w295b has been mentioned more often than any other eq. i own a pair of them and they practically live on my background vocal buss. for leadvocals i have been getting great results with a 1084 or a great river harrison 32eq recently during mixdown.

when i record vocals myself i prefer to get along without eq, though.
my favorite chain as of late is either a u47 or m269c through a v72 and a 525. no eq necessary...

and don't underestimate the electrodyne 511! i own a pair, and if i wouldn't use them on the drum buss for most of the time, i would love to put some vocals through them. gotta get more of these!
Wow so you like the GR Harrison lunchbox eq for vox ? I was thinking of getting one for my last lunchbox spot. I've been finding the API eq's a bit aggressive for vocals though they kick on guitar and drums and just about anything else.
Old 28th September 2010
  #77
Lives for gear
 
dhiltonlittle's Avatar
 

crane song ibis is lovely on vocals.
Old 28th September 2010
  #78
Lives for gear
 
JCRockit's Avatar
 

So for lead vox Sieman 295b or Harrison lunchbox eq ? anybody?
Old 28th September 2010
  #79
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
So for lead vox Sieman 295b or Harrison lunchbox eq ? anybody?
hmmm i never tried the harrison. but i have a w295b eq in my studio. dont get me wrong its a great piece of kit and i use it daily. but is it favourite vocal eq? not in my book. but still a very, very good (and amazingly inexpensive) eq.
Old 28th September 2010
  #80
Gear Maniac
 
Fabio's Avatar
Usually just a little bit of Avalon 737 eq
Old 28th September 2010
  #81
Lives for gear
 
JCRockit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
hmmm i never tried the harrison. but i have a w295b eq in my studio. dont get me wrong its a great piece of kit and i use it daily. but is it favourite vocal eq? not in my book. but still a very, very good (and amazingly inexpensive) eq.
So what do you like for vocals
Old 28th September 2010
  #82
Lives for gear
 
airmate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRockit View Post
Wow so you like the GR Harrison lunchbox eq for vox ? I was thinking of getting one for my last lunchbox spot. I've been finding the API eq's a bit aggressive for vocals though they kick on guitar and drums and just about anything else.
the harrison is great! pretty clean, but not in a boring way. i am not so fond of api-eqs on vocals either. what i like about the harrison is, that you can really carve out frequencies (or add a healthy amount of high freqs) without changing the character of the source material. the sound stays intact. a very nice eq that is perfectly balanced. unobtrusive and very effective.
Old 28th September 2010
  #83
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
the harrison is great! pretty clean, but not in a boring way. i am not so fond of api-eqs on vocals either. what i like about the harrison is, that you can really carve out frequencies (or add a healthy amount of high freqs) without changing the character of the source material. the sound stays intact. a very nice eq that is perfectly balanced. unobtrusive and very effective.
Seconded.
Old 29th September 2010
  #84
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Usually the EQ on a Neve or the Aurora GTQ2.... But, the Avedis E27 is the "go to" EQ for a lot of things nowadays, including vocals. Also, the Massive Passive, Pultec EQP1a's, API 550a/b, and the Summit EQP200 are also very good vocal EQ's.
I agree with this guy... The 4 years younger version of myself. heh
Old 29th September 2010
  #85
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

the strange thing with this mixing business for me is: if I compress stuff I wanna hear the compressor (most of the times) The compressor should put a bit of a sonic inprint on the signal while when I EQ I want the EQ to be unvisible ... A good EQ does not put its signature on the signal. This is where some EQ fail miserably and others shine. The Harrison S12 EQ has a bit of a sound but a very euphonic one (as a console EQ its just amazing) The Buzz REQ is one of the most neutral eqs (the Little Freq is somewhere in the middle but it has some very cool features beside EQ)
Old 29th September 2010
  #86
Wow after all these years the lead vocals still see the MP EQ first with some compressor combo in between followed by the Avalon E55 finishing it off.

Sounds like gold.
Old 29th September 2010
  #87
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Wow after all these years the lead vocals still see the MP EQ first with some compressor combo in between followed by the Avalon E55 finishing it off.

Sounds like gold.
aw you're just oldschool hehhehheh
Old 29th September 2010
  #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
aw you're just oldschool hehhehheh
Or maybe just old.
(especially if you go by my avatar).
Old 29th September 2010
  #89
Lives for gear
 
asagaai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
the harrison is great! pretty clean, but not in a boring way."......"what i like about the harrison is, that you can really carve out frequencies (or add a healthy amount of high freqs) without changing the character of the source material. the sound stays intact. a very nice eq that is perfectly balanced. unobtrusive and very effective.

Thirded-but with the note that when people describe it as being euphonic to my ears it adds an almost imperceptible "transformer" thickening/detail polishing/smoothing and the eq input is very smooth and non grabby.

For me my dream is to have a console with these eq's, for tracking and mixing, with some other eq's to patch in to do the caveman clubbing phase changes.

GJ
Newcatsle/OZ
Old 29th September 2010
  #90
Lives for gear
I like results I get from a Manley Massive Passive EQ. It sounds very smooth and musical on vocals - both male & female. I also like running vocals through a Doug Jane Neve 1073 clone.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
audiomichael / High end
62
Trebor Flow / So much gear, so little time
18
Cujo / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
15
Coldsnow / High end
39

Forum Jump
Forum Jump