The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fave vocal EQ Equalisers (HW)
Old 10th January 2004
par
Gear Head

GML8200
Old 11th January 2004
For me its usually a focusrite ISA 110, I've also dug the 52270b coming from an Elop.
Old 11th January 2004
Gear Head
Telefunken 251 through V76m through Blue Stripe 1176 through Pye comp through EMI mastering eq or GML 8200 - does not suck!
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear
Jon, I think you have a Tubetech SMC2. I've used it recently and I must say I was happy with the results. Of course the gml 8200 is magic if surgery is required.
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

I own the Massive but don't like it on vocals because you can't get anywhere close to a narrow Q bandwidth for notching out that 1k stuff. I mutch prefer 1081's for vocals.I also have had success with the Avalon 2055 and GML8200.
Old 13th January 2004
Capitol Studios Paris

My SMC2 is always on the mix 2 bus...

I may have up to 3 of the following on the lead vox:

SSL EQ
Neve 1073
Massivo
GML 8200
Millenia dual top in valve mode
Pultec EQP1A

And for compression up to 3 or 4 of the following :

SSL channel comp
LA2A
Distressor
CL1B
EAR
dbx 160 (rarely though)
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

The right mic and compressor.
Old 28th March 2004
Lives for gear

Another vote for Siemens W295b, the 15k is just wonderful.
Old 29th March 2004
Motown legend

Maybe I'm nuts but I really like the API 550s.
Old 29th March 2004
Gear Maniac

I guess I'm nuts too then!
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Guru

I'm the only person on the planet who hates the API EQ. The top end is nice but other than that I don't see their appeal.

My loss. They are quite affordable.

Love the Pre's though.

Peace
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher
I'm the only person on the planet who hates the API EQ. The top end is nice but other than that I don't see their appeal.

My loss. They are quite affordable.

Love the Pre's though.

Peace
I'd say so...

Which EQ btw...there's more than one. Or do you hate all of them?
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by rme uk
Would it make a big difference if it's the 550a or 550b?
With the addition of an extra frequency band from the original 550a equalizer and the addition of 7 new frequencies

Quoted from 550b description

Then there's the 560 graphic EQ...I love that thing but never used it on vocals as I don't EQ vocals very often..almost never.
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Head
The EMI 4 band mastering eq is the best eq I have ever heard.
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would it make a big difference if it's the 550a or 550b?
Hi,

I use 550a's all the time, I'm a really API fan.
The additional frequencies on the 550b are fine, but I never got the sweet highs as on the 550a

wolfgang

toolhouse studios, germany
Old 30th March 2004
Gear Maniac

This may not apply but I used the new neve and API plug ins and I loved the neve eq and thought the API was harsh and cold sounding...but I Love my BA 312's
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the 550a also fit into the new API lunchboxes?
Yes they fit in the new lunchbox

wolfgang

Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just heard there are different models of the API 550A. Can anyone enlighten me, please?
What do I have to look out for if I want the buy the *right* 550A, if there is something like that?

thanks!

Steve
Yes, there is also a 550A-1, which you could identify on the 2520 opamps.
The 550A-1 has only one, the 550A has two.
The 550A-1 are much cheaper. They are not bad as an equalizer, but they are not 550As. Don't be fooled, 550A-1s are not always labeled as A1s on the frontpanel.
So to be sure look inside.

Then there are 550 without a suffix. They have only 3 freq in the highs and some less freq on the other bands. They sound a bit more smooth to my ears (or our pair of 550 need service) than 550A. But they are a bit more limited.

wolfgang

Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

the 553 was a very sweet 3 band fixed freq...560's seem to be on kickin on kick
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just bought 4 Audix 35101 modules which I absolutely love on vocals. Very smooooth!
Anyone else using these babies?
Did you buy the rack from FJ London? I have a pair of 35102's and wish I had more ... god, never thought of letting them near a vocal. Attitude attitude attitude. Great for gtrs, bass, snare etc. But .. must try 'em sometime. My usual Vox goto is Focusrite 115.
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

the graphic EQ in the Avalon 747 is pretty much the bomb, the two high-freq shelves are as good as it gets. plus the tube-path adds some good to vocals....nice combo!

Rock on,
Pat
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah from Funky Junk.
I think they just selling another racked pair of 35102's if you are looking for more.
... not till my wife gets her new curtains.
Old 2nd April 2004
Lives for gear

I have been using either the EQ on my Chandler LTD-1 (which lately has been my "go to" pre for vocals and guitars), or my speck ASC-T. They are two completely different things, but both are really great imho.

I mix in Nuendo, so I generally use the UAD-1 stuff in there....the new Pultec Pro REALLY did the trick for vocal I was working on yesterday, and the Cambridge is quite nice as well. If the UAD-1 stuff doesn't quite get it, I will buss it back out to the LTD-1 or the Speck again. An API 550 is definitely next on my list....
Old 2nd April 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by jameslugo
This may not apply but I used the new neve and API plug ins and I loved the neve eq and thought the API was harsh and cold sounding...but I Love my BA 312's
It DEFINETLY does not apply
Old 3rd April 2004
Lives for gear

Surgical-Waves Linear EQ
Non-surgical-API 550/Trident 9066 on console/Neve 1064/1066
Utopian-none
Old 3rd April 2004
Gear Addict

After I track the vocals either thru my UA6176 or Amek DMCL into Digital Performer I use the UAD plugs - either the Pultec or the Cambrige and sometimes both. Just got the newest Pultec update the other day and used it on the entire mix of a rock tune and it put a kick butt thump on the bottom end and a really nice top end sheen - the engineer who took the instrumental track and recorded the singer on top of it asked me how the heck I got such a great bottom end and I told him alot of it was the Pultec plugin. He was the engineer on a bunch of Bon Jovi records and he is an excellent engineer and was really impressed with the mix - that Pultec is the bomb! Cambridge is surgical and the Pultec is just awesome! Between the two I've got it covered.

Robert
Old 7th September 2006
Lives for gear

I mostly shape the basics with the Pultec-style EQ of my UA 610 - sounds nice to me. However, you made me curios about the Siemens... I'd love to have a great, silky (dare I say velvet-y ) HF boost
Old 7th September 2006
Lives for gear

Ibis is definitely my "go to" for vocals, the color knob can often add just the right "magic". I keep meaning to try one of the Buzz ARCs on vox, but I can't bring myself to take them off the drum busses...

Scott
Old 7th September 2006
Gear Nut

usually either an API 550b or Sphere 920 - depending on the vocalist
Old 7th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Telefunken 251 through V76m through Blue Stripe 1176 through Pye comp through EMI mastering eq or GML 8200 - does not suck!

I do a variation...

251 : V6M : Blue Stripe : Pultec EQP1a : VacRac TSL-3 : GML 8200

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search