The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In praise of Daking
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

In praise of Daking

I recently purchased a Daking Mic Pre One and I can't get over how awesome this class A pre sounds. Its personally my favorite pre I've used and I've used a ton of pres. I feel like this company and pre are under the radar for some reason but they deserve a lot of love.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I recently purchased a Daking Mic Pre One and I can't get over how awesome this class A pre sounds. Its personally my favorite pre I've used and I've used a ton of pres. I feel like this company and pre are under the radar for some reason but they deserve a lot of love.
Welcome to the club! I love Daking Pres. I have many great pres and the Daking stack up with the best of them. I’ve used them on most every recording I’ve ever done. I also love the Daking FET II Comp. never fails to deliver.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

I constantly recommend the stand alone unit to people who just want a good mic pre for recording single instruments in their project studio. Geoff makes such great gear. These pres sound fantastic and have excellent headroom.
Old 3rd November 2017
I have 7 of the Daking mic pre/EQ channel strips. They are great for kick, bass, snare, vocals. Super fab!
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I have 7 of the Daking mic pre/EQ channel strips. They are great for kick, bass, snare, vocals. Super fab!
I think it would be bad ass to record an entire album with a bunch of Daking Mic Pre Ones and the mix it with some sort of passive mixer or summing box.
Old 3rd November 2017
Motown legend

I agree that it would be mighty hard to beat a dozen Daking Mic Pre Ones.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Welcome to the club! I love Daking Pres. I have many great pres and the Daking stack up with the best of them. I’ve used them on most every recording I’ve ever done. I also love the Daking FET II Comp. never fails to deliver.
I've got a mic pre one and an FET II that I use to track pretty much every vocal/overdub with. Great gear at a great price
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear
I bought a Daking Mic Pre (2nd generation) and was so impressed with it I ended up grabbing 5 more of the 1st generation (1992) mic pre/eq's, the ones with the concentric dials. They really are great sounding even after all these years. I also own a FET III compressor and am very happy with that as well. Geoff makes great gear, absolutely no doubt.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Guru

I got my first vertical lunchbox pair directly from Geoff in 1993.my gosh they’re vintage!
Still work perfectly and sound great.
Always a fav with Coles on overheads.
The 4 band eq and low/hi pass filters are awesome.
Never a single issue.
Had a pair of original A Ranges(sold)but almost 25 years later,the Dakings are still here and working flawlessly/happily alongside the old Neves,API’s etc
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Essentially brand new Trident preamps, lovely stuff indeed!
Old 3rd November 2017
Motown legend

Trident preamps with a more transparent input transformer and no output transformer. Back in the '70s, we wanted to eliminate as many transformers as we could and studio shops often modified the gear to accomplish it.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Works great with a Shure SM7b, or really any dynamic microphone.
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

I need to try it out with my SM7B.

I ran a mix out of my Hilo through the Mic Pre One and was happy with how it breathed some life and added a sense of punch to the mix.
Old 17th February 2018
Gear Maniac
i've had some of the original vertical daking modules, preamp/eqs as well as the comp/limiters....for years.

they've been the heart of most of my recordings.

always kick, snare, overheads and guitars.

a pair of coles into the daking pre/eqs is still my favorite drum overhead sound.

have yet to find a preamp i like better as a "works great on everything" kind of preamp.
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
a pair of coles into the daking pre/eqs is still my favorite drum overhead sound.
I just did the same with my Coles/52270s and I agree, the sound is great!
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
I just did the same with my Coles/52270s and I agree, the sound is great!
The Daking Mic Pre II is exactly two Daking Mic Pre One's in 1U. $1099 USMSRP

Try using the variable HP filter on a track to get the LF junk out. Its so easy to hear the right spot of getting a tack cleared up without removing to much low end. Geoff loves to do demos at trade shows with the "Brown Sugar" unprocessed guitar track and how it goes from unusable to beautiful using the variable filter.

Brad
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Big fan of my Daking Mic Pre IVs here - they're basically my go-to preamp. Good to have as many flavours as possible but nothing quite ticks as many boxes for me as my Dakings.
Attached Thumbnails
In praise of Daking-img_9219-1-.jpg  

Last edited by AlexK; 17th February 2018 at 09:50 PM..
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
The Daking Mic Pre II is exactly two Daking Mic Pre One's in 1U. $1099 USMSRP
That's a great new addition to the line up.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Big Daking mic pre fan here. Whenever I get a new pre first thing I do is put it up against the Daking to see just how good it is. The Daking sets the bar IMHO.

Ribbon Mics and Daking are a match made in heaven too! Glad to see the MP2 is out now because I’ve been wanting a couple more. Thumbs up!
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

My number one preamp is a Daking Micpre One. I have a pair of Neve 5012s, a couple APIs in a lunchbox 500 series and when I want it articulate, sensitive on the right vocalist my Neumann M149 goes into the Micpre One. It's a low cost piece of gear with a huge wow factor. Daking definitely needs a lot of love. I would go so far as to say it's probably the best micpre under $1000 you can find...and they can be found for $400.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Just purchased an MPII today. Glad this thread popped up because I wasn’t aware of the new 2ch. unit. I was intending to get the MPIV but really didn’t need an extra four mic pres. Lol, I dont really need another two pres but what the heck...these things are just that good. Thumbs up!
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Just purchased an MPII today. Glad this thread popped up because I wasn’t aware of the new 2ch. unit. I was intending to get the MPIV but really didn’t need an extra four mic pres. Lol, I dont really need another two pres but what the heck...these things are just that good. Thumbs up!
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get another Mic-Pre One or that, so let me know how you like it
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get another Mic-Pre One or that, so let me know how you like it
Not to speak for him, but mic Pre 2 is EXACTLY two mic pre ones in one box, with a shared 48v power supply, same as all other Dakings (such as mic pre 4). Same parts, same circuit, same pots, same control set.

Brad
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Not to speak for him, but mic Pre 2 is EXACTLY two mic pre ones in one box, with a shared 48v power supply, same as all other Dakings (such as mic pre 4). Same parts, same circuit, same pots, same control set.

Brad
Not to speak for him either, but perhaps he was just waiting for the discussion to get "really boring". lol

YouTube
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Guru

Dakings are great. I have a pair of MP 500's, and one MP1 left (I sold one). I could be happy with just Dakings. A great choice if you need some top quality preamps and never want to think about them again.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

How about this!!

Quote:
I think it would be bad ass to record an entire album with a bunch of Daking Mic Pre Ones and the mix it with some sort of passive mixer or summing box.
Well imagine doing your next project on one of these baby’s!! Sound of an A-range.. routing and features of an ssl. Amazing
Attached Thumbnails
In praise of Daking-fa30d873-5484-453e-ae14-f6573964e401.jpg  

Last edited by Skip Burrows; 21st February 2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip burrows View Post
well imagine doing your next project on one of these baby’s!! Sound of an a-range.. Routing and features of an ssl. Amazing

WANT
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Amazing!

Quote:
WANT
Yeah, it’s amazing to me that this new console doesn’t get the respect it deserves. When I heard this console and saw how complete the center section was, along with the insanely flexible routing I thought it would be on everyone’s mind. Everyone should want this baby. It’s very reasonably priced as well.
Old 22nd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Burrows View Post
Yeah, it’s amazing to me that this new console doesn’t get the respect it deserves. When I heard this console and saw how complete the center section was, along with the insanely flexible routing I thought it would be on everyone’s mind. Everyone should want this baby. It’s very reasonably priced as well.
I love the new Daking Console.

The architecture and structure is exemplary.
The console looks wonderful, too.
And I'm sure, btw the most important thing, the sound is brilliant.

But what's crucial, you need a good distribution with a great customer service and repair service.
Especially for a console like this.

R.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
I love the new Daking Console.

The architecture and structure is exemplary.
The console looks wonderful, too.
And I'm sure, btw the most important thing, the sound is brilliant.

But what's crucial, you need a good distribution with a great customer service and repair service.
Especially for a console like this.

R.
I agree 100 percent. I will say that Geoff has the best service anywhere. Imvho I believe this is perhaps the most forward thinking product in the console sphere. Just trying to figure why it doesn’t get more noise and respect. I’ve heard this thing and it’s really amazing. You can’t really make anything sound bad. Even if you try. That’s the mark of an incredible design. The channel comps are really cool. Always does what you need em too and the EQ , well it’s a Daking!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search