The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In praise of Daking
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
On a recent thread, Daking said that their new (and awesome) 16 channel console is the product for a small studio.

It's out of the reach of most project studios, both for cost and size, but they don't seemed that focused on a "consolette" like the Box.

I think small footprint tabletop consoles are in high demand.

For example:

I think that's an old Neve... and a very nice studio
I hear ya. The 16 and up channel console looks, and more importantly, I bet sounds amazing. I'm just not big time enough to be able to consider one of those. I guess that's why there's rackmount units to kind of piece by piece achieve or acquire a smaller setup. Still think something along the lines of a "consolette" as you call it would be sought after and successful. Very cool Neve by the way. Thanks for posting. Well, I'm saving up for some Daking products regardless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAUTOMATIC View Post
Thanks for replying. I'm referring to the single space rack mount mic pre/eq units. Just checking if the new different color green ones are different at all internally from the older ones.
No- exactly the same. we just changed from painted to an overlay as we were having trouble with the painted ones getting scratched.
Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear ya. The 16 and up channel console looks, and more importantly, I bet sounds amazing. I'm just not big time enough to be able to consider one of those. I guess that's why there's rackmount units to kind of piece by piece achieve or acquire a smaller setup. Still think something along the lines of a "consolette" as you call it would be sought after and successful. Very cool Neve by the way. Thanks for posting. Well, I'm saving up for some Daking products regardless.
Yup. If they cloned the exact footprint of that little Neve and built a modern Daking version of it, that would pretty much be the greatest.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Really like these mini tutorials by Fab DuPont.

He knows Dangerous gear quite good.

Cheers

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot Brain View Post
In lieu of a sidecar, I've actually been thinking lately how sick it would be to have 16 ch. mic pre/eq, then sum that to a pair of FETII's.

Anyways. Just ordered my 2nd mic pre/eq, so that's 2 of those and 2 FETII's. Stoked.
I have a couple of customers with side cars of Mic Pre EQs (like Mark Needham). Funny what people say about them, how they like them better over time because they are so dynamic.

Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

i have 2 mic pre IV's and these are my favourite pres. I never feel the need for something else (except maybe another 4 channels). they are just magic with coles 4038's and old Neumann solid state mics. I'd love a compact (portable) 16 channel desk with line ins and eq only, 2 stereo auxes, 4 patchable comps, 4 fx return channels for the verbs, summed to one 2 bus...
Old 4 weeks ago
I have the MicPre/EQ and the Fet 3. Can't say enough good things about them

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FET II all day.

- c
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you’ve pretty much nailed it here. I have far less Daking products than I would like, but I mostly operate with an overdub/mix room. If I’m ever in the market for more preamps I’d almost certainly go exclusively Daking. The FET II also gets used on almost everything I track - if I didn’t track it, it gets used in the mix. A smaller sidecar/“consolette” type thing would be a dream come true for most people who had the opportunity to use it.

I’m guessing an 8 channel sidecar/mini console with a center section and pre/EQ/dynamics on each channel would be ~ 20-30k, so still not practical for most home studios.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I think you’ve pretty much nailed it here. I have far less Daking products than I would like, but I mostly operate with an overdub/mix room. If I’m ever in the market for more preamps I’d almost certainly go exclusively Daking. The FET II also gets used on almost everything I track - if I didn’t track it, it gets used in the mix. A smaller sidecar/“consolette” type thing would be a dream come true for most people who had the opportunity to use it.

I’m guessing an 8 channel sidecar/mini console with a center section and pre/EQ/dynamics on each channel would be ~ 20-30k, so still not practical for most home studios.
It would have to be $15k
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
It would have to be $15k
Yeah I agree. If Daking could produce variations in the 10-15k range it would be attainable for many seeking a real quality set up. I must admit, the more I look at API's The Box 2 I must say I'm impressed. They seem to have got a lot right with that. I mean I wish they threw in at least 2 eq's in that thing to get you started, but otherwise it seems like a winner.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I agree. If Daking could produce variations in the 10-15k range it would be attainable for many seeking a real quality set up. I must admit, the more I look at API's The Box 2 I must say I'm impressed. They seem to have got a lot right with that. I mean I wish they threw in at least 2 eq's in that thing to get you started, but otherwise it seems like a winner.
I have The Box and API did get it right, it's everything you need with the ability to expand in many ways if needed. It would be great to see Daking bring a similar mini console to market.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When this thread was young I got my first Daking, the Mic Pre II. Since then we have come to truly love it and we now lovingly refer to it as Da King.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
When this thread was young I got my first Daking, the Mic Pre II. Since then we have come to truly love it and we now lovingly refer to it as Da King.
This thread was old when I got my Mic pre II about a month ago. All can say is that the praise is warranted.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search