The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speck Xtramix L/R panning problem
Old 1st November 2017
Speck Xtramix L/R panning problem

Been reading the docs and pushing buttons for hours, and I am stumped.

The 8 subgroups of my unit cannot pan to RIGHT ... when any subgroup is panned hard right there is no signal to the monitors nor headphones.

The weird thing is if I press the "solo" button on these subgroups, then it works totally normal! This solo button does combine the effect sends and inserts so I could just leave it enabled on all 8 groups. Still, I would like to find the problem.

The VU meters when selected to L/R do show a signal on left but not right ... but when selected to, for example, the 3/4 groups, the meters indicate a normal signal to each group.

I actually have two of these units and have used them for years, so I know them well. The other one unfortunately is not with me at the moment.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Been reading the docs and pushing buttons for hours, and I am stumped.

The 8 subgroups of my unit cannot pan to RIGHT ... when any subgroup is panned hard right there is no signal to the monitors nor headphones.

The weird thing is if I press the "solo" button on these subgroups, then it works totally normal! This solo button does combine the effect sends and inserts so I could just leave it enabled on all 8 groups. Still, I would like to find the problem.

The VU meters when selected to L/R do show a signal on left but not right ... but when selected to, for example, the 3/4 groups, the meters indicate a normal signal to each group.

I actually have two of these units and have used them for years, so I know them well. The other one unfortunately is not with me at the moment.
It's possible that the right mix insert jack is flaky. Try inserting a 1/4" plug into that jack a few times and see if the right mix bus comes back.
Old 15th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck View Post
It's possible that the right mix insert jack is flaky. Try inserting a 1/4" plug into that jack a few times and see if the right mix bus comes back.
Thanks for the reply vince @ speck, love your gear!

I delayed my response because I am setting up a lot of new gear and wanted to do a video with the Xtramix L/R audio to show this problem that has me stumped - why do the solo buttons allow L/R? I really wonder if I just need to push the right buttons.

I changed my cables several times. The headphone outputs do not have the problem.

Two details: Some of the pots are scratchy ... this is one of the last units made SN 011679. Is there a service manual to access the pots with a spray?

Other detail: At the end of the video you can see the master pot is busted off, its sitting in front of the unit. I never use those outputs. Not sure if its relevant. I always use the monitor outputs.

Unrelated question: I have two Xtramix, do you still sell the cable to link them? The docs show the wiring but thought I'd ask.

Thanks! See this video with the Xtramix L/R monitor outputs going to a Presonus Central Station, and then to the camera audio inputs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xVL...42EFb1U7h/view
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Thanks for the reply vince @ speck, love your gear!

I delayed my response because I am setting up a lot of new gear and wanted to do a video with the Xtramix L/R audio to show this problem that has me stumped - why do the solo buttons allow L/R? I really wonder if I just need to push the right buttons.

I changed my cables several times. The headphone outputs do not have the problem.

Two details: Some of the pots are scratchy ... this is one of the last units made SN 011679. Is there a service manual to access the pots with a spray?

Other detail: At the end of the video you can see the master pot is busted off, its sitting in front of the unit. I never use those outputs. Not sure if its relevant. I always use the monitor outputs.

Unrelated question: I have two Xtramix, do you still sell the cable to link them? The docs show the wiring but thought I'd ask.

Thanks! See this video with the Xtramix L/R monitor outputs going to a Presonus Central Station, and then to the camera audio inputs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xVL...42EFb1U7h/view
On the Xtramix the input channels are assigned to the group busses, then the group busses are mixed to the stereo master. You need to find out at what point in the signal path you are losing the stereo signal.

Check that you have signal at all group bus insert sends and group bus outputs. If all is well with the 8 groups then check that you have left and right signals at the mix insert sends. The insert send is at the "ring" of the insert jack. If you have signal to the insert sends but not at the stereo mix outputs you've narrowed down the problem to some where between the mix insert return, the stereo master pot, or the mix output line driver. The broken master pot may very well be relevant to your problem.

No service manual to spray pots. The pots are sealed but sometimes will sound scratchy if a lytic cap has failed and is passing D.C. voltage to the pot.

We no longer sell the Xtramix or expander interface cable. A tech can probably fabricate the cable. We'll be happy to supply you with the connector part numbers.

Last edited by vince @ speck; 18th November 2017 at 06:18 AM..
Old 21st November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck View Post
On the Xtramix the input channels are assigned to the group busses, then the group busses are mixed to the stereo master. You need to find out at what point in the signal path you are losing the stereo signal.

Check that you have signal at all group bus insert sends and group bus outputs. If all is well with the 8 groups then check that you have left and right signals at the mix insert sends. The insert send is at the "ring" of the insert jack. If you have signal to the insert sends but not at the stereo mix outputs you've narrowed down the problem to some where between the mix insert return, the stereo master pot, or the mix output line driver. The broken master pot may very well be relevant to your problem.

No service manual to spray pots. The pots are sealed but sometimes will sound scratchy if a lytic cap has failed and is passing D.C. voltage to the pot.

We no longer sell the Xtramix or expander interface cable. A tech can probably fabricate the cable. We'll be happy to supply you with the connector part numbers.
vince @ speck, thanks for the reply! I have two of these Xtramix because they are so awesome and I wanted a spare in case issues like these came up.

I was an audio gear tech for several years in my college days. I'll have some time during this holiday weekend (USA) to look at it. If you have part numbers for the master pot and the expander cable ... failed capacitors that sound scatchy, please share what you can.

Can I please ask a question about the LILO? The LILO has 4 aux sends compared to the 8 effect sends of the Xtramix, is that correct?

The one thing I am not clear on is how many subgroups the LILO has. The Xtramix having 8 subgroups with inserts, after the effect sends, is perfect for my work flow and makes the unit special to me.

I ask all this because I have a lot of effect boxes for the effect / aux sends, and compressors I attach to the inserts. Mixers with lots of sends and inserts allow me to avoid patch bays. Thinking about expanding with a LILO.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hi everyone. Had my Speck Xtramix and EQ overhauled back in 2011 before moving to Europe. I've only been using my studio sporadically for a few months because I didn;t have th right space until recently.

The mixer has been working fine but yesterday the first 6 channels of the EQ and channels 4 and 9 of the mixer started maing scratching noises, even when the pots are not turned. And the panning is weird as well.

I did not test the rest of the channels nor EQ chans 10-16 because I was interrupted before I could finish.

Would blowing out the insides of the mixer with compressed air be an idea I could start with or are these crackle noises symptoms of a larger problem?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search