The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..

I got a pair of Dutch and Dutch 8C loudspeakers for evaluation and am most certainly buying them after working on them for the last week. This is a new generation of speakers that has cardioid bass response via mechanical and DSP means (comparable to the Kii III on paper).
Before I go here know I have worked on or owned most of the normal High End speakers found in recording and mastering facilities.
I am crusty to the point where I built my own system with a designer...

So I unboxed and set the units up , dialed in the software Application via a router and set the side and rear boundary measurements for my room and went to work.
The first move was to pop in several reference tracks which was illuminating....
3d, punchy with low end articulation like a well calibrated set of Mains in a engineered room. (crazy from a box this size
These speakers have significant detail but not like the feeling of elements being deconstructed artificially.
The phantom center is freakish BTW but what is wild is that low frequency info is so easy to hear. ( I actually have never heard any system sound quite like this)
The Midrange is as detailed as an ATC but more pleasing to work on subjectively.
I do prefer slightly the Raal OEM ribbons of my custom 3 ways but the 8Cs perform better as a whole and are non fatiguing. (Every frequency band is translating better)
I remixed a song I had been working on for a while and went out to the car
to test and it sounded fabulous.
After doing several projects with these boxes both as a mixer and as a Mastering engineer I can say my workflow has been sped up significantly.
Beyond working faster, elements are sounding wider and deeper in the soundstage.
This is the most significant gear upgrade in practical application that i can remember.
Everything sounds better quicker and is quite obvious what elements need work
without chasing ones tail in micro detail.

Like many folks I have had a hard time justifying a 6 figure control room build these days and have modified a pre built space with decent dimensions. My tact up until last week was to use a custom built set of speakers based on the DEQX active crossover to take care of what can't be accomplished with trapping , diffusion and absorption.
The 8Cs just Dust my current system and bring a level of performance unheard of at the price.

Looks like I am writing a fat check...
Attached Thumbnails
The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..-img_1224.jpg   The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..-img_1228.jpg  
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks for the report, I've been watching for news or comments as these start rolling out. Glad they're working so well for you.

They're on my short list for sure, but D&D still haven't sealed any distribution deals where I live.

How are you going into them? Direct AES digital?
What's the latency like?
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

I am going analogue in at this time via a Pure 2..
I haven't measured the Latency yet as I am working on a bunch deadlines
and not tracking at this time.
I will get back to you on this...
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Addict

I talked with Martyn from dutch & dutch. Killer service, super fast response...demo on the way Can't wait to try those beauty!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

They are really nice folks!

Your Gonna love it.....

The Translation is spectacular.
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Addict

I feel (fear) that the next “Amphion” thread just started here...
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

I love the Amphions BTW.....
I really don't want to engage in classic GS Hype but these speakers have shaved a lot of time off my usual workflow whilst
making a large impact on the nature of the end product. I feel obligated to share with my slutty Brothers and Sisters!
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

This and the KII3 seem to be "the new boss in town".
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
This and the KII3 seem to be "the new boss in town".
I think you are right....

I thought I had the state of the art but I cannot deny that technology has marched on at this point beyond traditional speaker design even with advanced DSP.
The Cardioid Bass and superb phase coherency is a not so subtle leap for what we do as engineers.

I am now unfortunately am gonna take a bath on what I have into the old system..
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

I had a nice PM this morning with B Elgin who relayed the latency figure from the head Designer at Dutch & Dutch.
" latency measures 32ms for full linear phase response, and 1-2ms (depending on sample rate) for low latency mode"
I figured I would post this if folks are curious....
The Speakers continue to be a serious upgrade...
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Addict

My mistake, he said approximately 34ms, apologies.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Whats two ms among friends ....
Old 11th November 2017
Mine should arrive in a couple of weeks. As soon as I pressed play ...I've smiled and I've bought them. I believe for studio use, they are better than the KII's (and not just marginally).
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Excited for you Alex!

The pain of the big check has already worn off for me.

I am trying to be restrained with my gushing but they have transformed my work..
Old 12th November 2017
The thing is I went in to by the Kii's... Which I did already demo before... But after a couple of hours I was still not 100% sure so the guy asked me if I wanted to try the 8c... The rest is history
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mastering View Post
The thing is I went in to by the Kii's... Which I did already demo before... But after a couple of hours I was still not 100% sure so the guy asked me if I wanted to try the 8c... The rest is history
Would you be kind enough to share where you listened to both systems, in London?

Thanks.
Mev
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Addict

Mev I have both here, Alex came initially last year not long after we first had the Kiis, he came back to hear the Kiis again and I suggested he listen to the 8Cs as wel.
keith
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
Mev I have both here, Alex came initially last year not long after we first had the Kiis, he came back to hear the Kiis again and I suggested he listen to the 8Cs as wel.
keith

Hi Keith, thanks.
Old 12th November 2017
rsv
Gear Head

hi keith . how the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs compare to the kiis ? i still love my kii a lot in my home studio and in my living roon too . with kii control the are amazing speaker i was think it about to get another pair for my living roon .
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Addict

I still really like the Kiis they are superb loudspeakers, but if you can try and compare your ‘THREEs’ to the 8Cs , the last few listeners have preferred the Dutch&Dutch , also over here at least the 8Cs are a lot cheaper so worth considering.
Keith
Old 13th November 2017
rsv
Gear Head

thank you for the info keith. i gonna save money and i will email you in future to get one .
Old 13th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
I still really like the Kiis they are superb loudspeakers, but if you can try and compare your ‘THREEs’ to the 8Cs , the last few listeners have preferred the Dutch&Dutch , also over here at least the 8Cs are a lot cheaper so worth considering.
Keith
I thought the Kii THREE and the 8C were very close in price. Is the situation very different in England?
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Addict

Here the ‘domestic’ Kii THREE in standard colours have an SRP of £11k per pair, stands £900 ,Kii “control’ £1500 ,’custom’ paint a whopping £1500 extra!
The ‘pro’ version ( grey splatter paint) are £500 per per pair cheaper, I don’t know why the prices are no longer the same as the versions are identical.
The 8Cs have an SRP of £8995 inc vat , stands are custom designed to your specifications, couple of hundred pounds.
All the 8Cs parameters which include, boundary filters, bass,treble,cut/boost gain,input, and EQ including volume attenuation are set by ‘app’ .
Keith
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Addict

Dutch&Dutch visited by the ‘Ear’!
Dutch & Dutch | The Ear

Keith
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Addict

The Dutch&Dutch 8M monitor arrives this week, the 8M is cheaper than the 8C , I will post some thoughts on how they compare ,
Dutch & Dutch - Next generation sound systems

Keith
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Tech and price difference?
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict

Srp is Euros 5900 per pair inc vat, control, boundary, filter,EQ options are as the 8C I believe,
‘ The 8m is an ideal tool for discerning audio engineers. Its highly optimized baffle geometry ensures perfectly neutral sound, a wide sweet spot, and phenomenal imaging.

On its own, the 8m is capable of providing useful output down to well below 40 Hz. If that is not enough, subwoofers can easily be added: each 8m has a DSP-controlled output that can turn any active subwoofer into a Clerk-powered low frequency element.‘

I will add more as soon as the speakers arrive.
Keith
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Keith when will you have them for demo?

I’ve heard and loved the Kii but struggling to justify £9000 for my new room I’ll be putting together in February.

I’d love to hear the D and D against Kii as £5200 is a bit more amenable to the hip pocket

Wiggy
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Wiggly everything D&D8C/8M and Kii THREe, ATC active 50’s ,Manger,PSi will be here by next week, you would be more than welcome, It is actually really interesting hearing different listeners opinions on the loudspeakers, especially when critical listening/evaluation is their livelihood!
Keith
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Addict

Dutch&Dutch 8C in black just arrived.

Purite Audio London, UK, Kii THREE active loudspeakers,Kii Audio,Kii 3

Keith

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search