The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
900mm
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.styles View Post
900mm
Thanks! - I guessed as much.
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Switching between digital and analog

Hi al, I have just ordered some 8Cs and am very excited. I will be using them at home and am wondering how I should best integrate my turntable into the mix.

I currently have a Lumin to stream over AES/EBU.

In the (near/distant?) future I am hoping that I can set the 8c's up as a roon endpoint and have the turntable come in through the analog input on the back.

But in the meantime, is there a cost effective option to switch between the two (other than pulling cables in and out)?

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanDon View Post
Hi al, I have just ordered some 8Cs and am very excited. I will be using them at home and am wondering how I should best integrate my turntable into the mix.

I currently have a Lumin to stream over AES/EBU.

In the (near/distant?) future I am hoping that I can set the 8c's up as a roon endpoint and have the turntable come in through the analog input on the back.

But in the meantime, is there a cost effective option to switch between the two (other than pulling cables in and out)?

Thanks!
I use RME’s ADI pro, which can send a digital output to the 8Cs and attenuate it , I plug my phono stage into its analogue ‘in’.
Or if the Lumin has an analogue out, you could set the 8Vs to analogue ‘in’ and just use an ordinary preamp.
Keith
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks! That is very helpful :-)

I think i'll use my existing pre-amp initially and go analog in to the 8c's
Old 7th November 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Has anyone compared them to Genelec 8361A?
By the way what drivers are they using?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor noob View Post
Has anyone compared them to Genelec 8361A?
By the way what drivers are they using?
Compared them to the 8351 & 8351B's & kept the D&D 8C's.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Compared them to the 8351 & 8351B's & kept the D&D 8C's.
Can you explain why? Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
To begin with, the Genelecs sound great. But these models needed a sub (or 2?) to compete with the 8c's. And when matched the D&D's sounded a little more natural & balanced. After many hours of using, the D&D were less fatiguing than any speaker I've used.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
To begin with, the Genelecs sound great. But these models needed a sub (or 2?) to compete with the 8c's. And when matched the D&D's sounded a little more natural & balanced. After many hours of using, the D&D were less fatiguing than any speaker I've used.
Wow the lack of bass is really worrying.
Old 7th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you like the Genelecs & the subs were your only concern you can always add them.
Don't think the cost is worth it.
Who knows: Maybe the 8361's will match the D&D 8c's w/o a sub?
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Brokelyn View Post
Safari will recognize only one of the Dutch at a time, even though they’re on the same router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudwig View Post
only see 1 at a time when hardwired (it varies randomly which one will show up).
I finally got around to asking them for help. Was as simple as manually adding the speakers to Lanspeaker (did try this before, but putting .local on the end of the address was the missing link). Working great now.

I've attached the help document they sent me in case it's useful to anyone.
Attached Files
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ll chime in on this as well. I bought both the 8351s and the 8Cs (and also the Meyer Acherons, Amphion Two18s and ATC 45s). Everything went back except the Dutch & Dutch. I’m very particular about my speakers and the 8Cs are a winner. They are super detailed, super musical, super non-fatiguing and give you everything you need.

The Genelecs are great as well but they are a different kind of speaker. They are a good surgery tool. Very clinical under a microscope. But I wouldn’t call them musical or even enjoyable. The Dutch can be surgical enough but are way less fatiguing and are much more inspiring when tracking/producing/mixing.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Interesting you preferred the 8c over the Amphion. Could your provide more specific details? Is it the cardioid pattern that made the speakers more clear from less reflections? Or is your room already super treated? Was it the low end? Mid range? So many at GS love the Amphions and I’m sure they are great as well as the 8c. Would really appreciate any additional comments comparing them. Thanks!
Xnr
Gear Maniac

Also are you using them as nearfields or midfields?
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Amphions are lovely. But don't go nearly as low. You would need their bass system to get into the same ball park. Also the Dutch (IMHO) are more detailed and have more depth to the sound stage.

I've tried the 8Cs in 2 different rooms, one as mids and one as nears. Great in both.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ll chime in on this as well. I bought both the 8351s and the 8Cs (and also the Meyer Acherons,
Which specific "Acherons"?
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Which specific "Acherons"?
I think they were called the Acheron designers. Also fantastic speakers, but for the number of hours I put in they were a bit fatiguing. We use 5.1 Meyer systems in two of our other rooms and love them. But for our scoring/tracking/music mixing room I preferred the 8Cs.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’ll chime in on this as well. I bought both the 8351s and the 8Cs (and also the Meyer Acherons, Amphion Two18s and ATC 45s). Everything went back except the Dutch & Dutch. I’m very particular about my speakers and the 8Cs are a winner. They are super detailed, super musical, super non-fatiguing and give you everything you need.

The Genelecs are great as well but they are a different kind of speaker. They are a good surgery tool. Very clinical under a microscope. But I wouldn’t call them musical or even enjoyable. The Dutch can be surgical enough but are way less fatiguing and are much more inspiring when tracking/producing/mixing.
I actually like that about Genelecs, that whole clinical, surgical sound.
I've no doubt 8C are amazing, but i would still prefer the Genelecs.
Why?
Older company with proven reliability.
In 10 years I'm more sure that Genelec will still exist, D&D are a young company.
There were some bugs in the 8C software etc.
Obviously the 8C are still excellent and get rave reviews just about everywhere.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why?
In 10 years I'm more sure that Genelec will still exist, D&D are a young company.
Obviously the 8C are still excellent and get rave reviews just about everywhere.
Each their own 👍
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why?
I've had Genelecs (& still do) since the 1030 & 1031's. Really wanted to LIKE & BUY the 8351's (a & B) when I had them here - twice. But in the end decided to go with the Dutch & Dutch which, by the way, are very "analytical" & "surgical" but within a very musical context.
Throughout the 2 years of experience with the company I can tell you that the support is second to none (both domestically & internationally) & based on my own experience & the amount of sets selling I don't see this "young" company folding - at all. Plus, this technology is really the future & they are at the forefront of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
....the Dutch & Dutch which, by the way, are very "analytical" & "surgical" but within a very musical context.
I would 100% agree with this assessment.

Quote:
Each their own
Also agree with that ^
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've had Genelecs (& still do) since the 1030 & 1031's. Really wanted to LIKE & BUY the 8351's (a & B) when I had them here - twice. But in the end decided to go with the Dutch & Dutch which, by the way, are very "analytical" & "surgical" but within a very musical context.
Throughout the 2 years of experience with the company I can tell you that the support is second to none (both domestically & internationally) & based on my own experience & the amount of sets selling I don't see this "young" company folding - at all. Plus, this technology is really the future & they are at the forefront of it.
Can you compare 8351B and 8C and explain what made you choose the 8C? Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can you compare 8351B and 8C and explain what made you choose the 8C? Thanks.
I think I gave you some information on POST # 1929 that would suffice. If you need something more specific by all means state it & I'll try & answer it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think I gave you some information on POST # 1929 that would suffice. If you need something more specific by all means state it & I'll try & answer it.
Sorry, i got confused.
Can you compare just the bass? Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, the 8351's (a & B) needed a sub (or 2?) to fairly be compared to the 8c's
Old 15th December 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Got some arriving for a demo in two days :-D

(Not a helpful contribution I know but I couldn’t resist!)
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Holy Fudge!!!!!

Had these set up for about an hour and a half and Oh. My. God!

They're not set up with the room yet so no corrections to modes and they sound astonishing!

Clear and revealing like the PSIs but with all the weight and glue I was missing with them. To be fair they are the A21-Ms so a fairer comparison would be the A23-Ms but apparently they share the same basic characteristics.

Just listened on them so far, not mixed. Heard many references and some mixes I'm working on.

They sound so good but also seem so show up mixes for what they are including masking, and the lows go deep and clean. Incredibly fast transient detail without being clinical. I haven't experienced boxes anything like this in my room before now, even corrected with Sonarworks.

How I get on actually working on them and translation once they're calibrated is yet to be determined but Jeeeez!!!
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmundo View Post
Had these set up for about an hour and a half and Oh. My. God!

They're not set up with the room yet so no corrections to modes and they sound astonishing!

Clear and revealing like the PSIs but with all the weight and glue I was missing with them. To be fair they are the A21-Ms so a fairer comparison would be the A23-Ms but apparently they share the same basic characteristics.

Just listened on them so far, not mixed. Heard many references and some mixes I'm working on.

They sound so good but also seem so show up mixes for what they are including masking, and the lows go deep and clean. Incredibly fast transient detail without being clinical. I haven't experienced boxes anything like this in my room before now, even corrected with Sonarworks.

How I get on actually working on them and translation once they're calibrated is yet to be determined but Jeeeez!!!
Congrats, I've no doubt the three of you will be very happy together Nice to see another set in Essex too!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Congrats, I've no doubt the three of you will be very happy together Nice to see another set in Essex too!
Thanks!

I am unsure whether I will be going with these or another set or combo but my initial impression currently has me sitting in the WANT and NEED seat! If I can learn to mix fast on these, they translate well and I can manage the cost then I think I'll still be sitting there when the decision is made!

Was planning on spending about £5k but yeah.....

I have been hoping for something that is full range, sounds like music sounds in my head (Quested) but with fantastic clarity and speed (PSI) in one box and these certainly seem to deliver!
📝 Reply