The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Dutch & Dutch 8Cs are remarkable speakers..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrremlin View Post
I'm sorry, Matthijs, that you have taken offence from me calling you what you had called yourself. I hope that you won't do it again.
I’m sorry you feel the need to post such a gracious comment, trying to make point even after the self-depreciation nature has been explained. Your posts in this topic are quite negative, but perhaps I’m more of a glass-half-full kinda guy (ie appreciating the participation of several D&D members online). Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA View Post
I’m sorry you feel the need to post such a gracious comment, trying to make point even after the self-depreciation nature has been explained. Your posts in this topic are quite negative, but perhaps I’m more of a glass-half-full kinda guy (ie appreciating the participation of several D&D members online). Cheers
I apologise. I was trying to be playful, but in retrospect I can see that I didn't do too well.

If I have caused offence, I apologise again - to all concerned.

Best wishes,
Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrremlin View Post
I apologise. I was trying to be playful, but in retrospect I can see that I didn't do too well.

If I have caused offence, I apologise again - to all concerned.

Best wishes,
Pete
Great to hear
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Then just jump back to the topic and again appreciate the time of the D&D folks discussing with us
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

BTW: Who is using Allo Bridge to use Roon over the D&D?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernstein View Post
BTW: Who is using Allo Bridge to use Roon over the D&D?
How would the Allo bridge be connected, I thought digital AES in (or -when available- LAN in) is preferable? (minimum conversions)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
How would the Allo bridge be connected, I thought digital AES in (or -when available- LAN in) is preferable? (minimum conversions)
Via SPDIF to AES Converter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ah thanks, you mean the Allo DigiOne (the ‘bridge’ has an USB out). I haven’t got experience with Allo I’m afraid. Personally I’m most interested to listen at AES digital-in vs LAN-in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ah thanks, you mean the Allo DigiOne (the ‘bridge’ has an USB out). I haven’t got experience with Allo I’m afraid. Personally I’m most interested to listen at AES digital-in vs LAN-in.
Yes the Digi One! You can use a converter to AES.
I hope D&D will implement Roon as best as possible and will make solutions like Allo obsolete...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone using the AES input on the Dutch with an Uaudio Apollo (which has SPDIF), if so how are you converting to AES?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladvin View Post
Anyone using the AES input on the Dutch with an Uaudio Apollo (which has SPDIF), if so how are you converting to AES?
I don’t know if this would help:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...2--hosa-odl312
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic View Post
The SPDIF is RCA outs, not the optical.

I just ordered the apollo, hoping I can find a solution, hahaha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The SPDIF is RCA outs, not the optical.

I just ordered the apollo, hoping I can find a solution, hahaha
There is an equivalent box by Hosa with RCA SPIDF. There are also smaller and less expensive adapters by Canare and Nuetrik.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
There is an equivalent box by Hosa with RCA SPIDF. There are also smaller and less expensive adapters by Canare and Nuetrik.
Canare should be good to convert spdif to aes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Canare should be good to convert spdif to aes.
I wonder if the converters also convert the protocol properly, I was reading on rane.com that you can convert the electrical interface, but the protocol used in AES3 and SPDIF is not exactly the same....

"The basic data formats are identical, but there is a bit in the channel status frame that tells which is which, and assigns certain bits different meanings."

I guess i'll just buy the converter and see if it works.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I wonder if the converters also convert the protocol properly, I was reading on rane.com that you can convert the electrical interface, but the protocol used in AES3 and SPDIF is not exactly the same....

"The basic data formats are identical, but there is a bit in the channel status frame that tells which is which, and assigns certain bits different meanings."

https://www.rane.com/note149.html

It should if the converter is well made. Canare?
Maybe the D&D guys could give us an answer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://www.rane.com/note149.html

It should if the converter is well made. Canare?
Maybe the D&D guys could give us an answer?
There are often settings on sound cards and interfaces (RME, for example) that allow sending either AES or SPIDF data out through a SPIDF output. So definitely check your interface settings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Many devices ignore the channel status bits for AES or have a menu option to do so (I was looking at SSL stuff the other day and it had that settings option.) In many ways it's depreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I like this solution for the Dutch & Dutch
https://www.liedtke-metalldesign.eu/...0%28DIVA%29%22
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The difference is only in the metadata sent along the audio, there's no need to worry about it.

A passive converter (75Ω to 110Ω impedance transformer) should also suffice, and in our testing it does, although not everyone seems to have success with it. The signal level of S/PDIF is quite low (0.5Vpp), although it gets bumped a bit by the transformer (to 0.6V minus insertion loss) and our receivers only require 0.2Vpp. At the very least it will reduce the margins available for coping with any signal imperfections. A transformer may itself also degrade the signal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I quite like the John Darko video reviews, for those who find it interesting, now he has an ETa for his 8c review:

“the Dutch & Dutch 8c review, having endured two false starts and a long delay in between, should see the light of day before the end of June.”

Looking forward watching it and see what thinks of them. I’ll have my first listen at the 8c’s next week, very curious :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does he explain the reasons for the false starts?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I quite like the John Darko video reviews, for those who find it interesting, now he has an ETa for his 8c review:

“the Dutch & Dutch 8c review, having endured two false starts and a long delay in between, should see the light of day before the end of June.”

Looking forward watching it and see what thinks of them. I’ll have my first listen at the 8c’s next week, very curious :-)
Where did you get that quote?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
Does he explain the reasons for the false starts?
From what I know the 8c were damaged while shipping. But I didn’t know that this was two times...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Where did you get that quote?
Here you go: https://darko.audio/2019/05/into-tomorrow/
Old 3 weeks ago
As an owner of the 8Cs now for almost six months, I have to say these are very good speakers. A family member (and fellow music aficionado) was blown away after a recent visit. I'd like to share some photos/REW measurements soon.

On a side note, have any other 8C owners noticed intermittent creaks/pops from the speakers? I get the impression that it's related to the room's slight ambient temp fluctuations, when the AC kicks in and stuff. Is this normal?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfaction2009 View Post
As an owner of the 8Cs now for almost six months, I have to say these are very good speakers. A family member (and fellow music aficionado) was blown away after a recent visit. I'd like to share some photos/REW measurements soon.

On a side note, have any other 8C owners noticed intermittent creaks/pops from the speakers? I get the impression that it's related to the room's slight ambient temp fluctuations, when the AC kicks in and stuff. Is this normal?
Cool Feedback!

Does it appear when the compressor of the AC kicks in? Maybe it creates a lot of noise in the power network in your house? Are they connected to the same line?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I get small little ticks when changing sample rate with the AES inputs. Are you using AES or analog inputs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have this problem too. It goes away and then it comes back. It's annoying. It doesn't seem connected to any fluctuations. I'm using AES but I don't think the sample rate is changing when it happens.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGarrett View Post
I have this problem too. It goes away and then it comes back. It's annoying. It doesn't seem connected to any fluctuations. I'm using AES but I don't think the sample rate is changing when it happens.
The guys of D&D should investigate in that. Does it happen when you start a track and a Moment before starting the playback or does it happen during I would think this is something about the software and muting the amp/dac.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search