The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What hat do you wear the most?
View Poll Results: What hat best describes you?
Engineer
5 Votes - 11.63%
Producer
0 Votes - 0%
Producer/Engineer
24 Votes - 55.81%
Artist
1 Votes - 2.33%
Artist/Engineer
3 Votes - 6.98%
Artist/Producer/Engineer
6 Votes - 13.95%
Business Owner or Manager
4 Votes - 9.30%
Hobbyist
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th October 2002
Capitol Studios Paris

What hat best describes you?

What hat best describes you right now?

Do you see yourself doing the same in 5-10 years or moving into something else down the road?
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Engineer.

5-10 years down the road? I sure hope so. I just got some unsettling news about my job security ( or lack thereof ) and given that I am in a non market for audio work, I am currently hoping I can be doing this ( or anything) in 5-10 months.

guess this should be in the moan zone?
Old 20th October 2002
There is only one

i usually wear a black cap of one of the bands i worked with... i used to have a maroon hat with a B on it but i lost it in the pit during a clutch show.
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Milano 30X...silverbelly...4" crown, 9" brim...

I get quite a few jobs based on the fact that I play many instruments... So I guess Engineer/Producer/Artist...

5 years down the road? Engineer/producer I imagine...but if country returns to country and gets away from "Brittnay Spears with a banjo" mentality, I may reconsider.
Old 20th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

What about Business Owner/Producer/Engineer/Janitor/Director of Marketing/Bookkeeper/Raconteur/Man About Town? I didn't see a button for that...
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

..........theres no button for animal trainer......
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Producing

Still producing

I mix and record my productions, since I can´t find a engineer that´s better that me......

/Mr.GearZlut

One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
What about Business Owner/Producer/Engineer/Janitor/Director of Marketing/Bookkeeper/Raconteur/Man About Town? I didn't see a button for that...
Ditto. Sometimes I even play on peoples stuff and I get someone from the band to do punches for me.
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Genius would have been my first choice but it was unavailable.

"half the world is against me and the rest are in my way."
Old 21st October 2002
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Looks like producer / engineer is a popular combination and imho one that works best.

How I see myself in the future ? ..... succesfully finishing building the new studio is on my mind a lot lately so I guess that would be one of the most important things. That and keep growing like I have been over the last couple of years.
Old 22nd October 2002
There is only one

i think artist/producer/engineer works "best" because one is more aware of the fishbowl. i have always wondered how people who dont play any instruments even have a clue being in the red light.
Old 22nd October 2002
Capitol Studios Paris

Is that your category? Mine too.
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Maniac

clueless in the red light

I'm an engineer/ producer kind of guy, and forgive me alpha, I don't play no stinking instruments. Hey what's that red light ? are you lookin' at me?

I don't officially know how to play anything, but I do know how to communicate with musicians and make them happy most of the time. Knowing how to operate the studio gear is nice also.

But if I had it to do over again I would like to play an instrument or two. I also know a fair amount about certain instruments and amps, and musical terminology for a non-musician.

I think it's possible to be a decent engineer and/or producer without playing an instrument if you have sufficient knowlege of gear, musicians, music, and diplomacy. Having a decent ear for time and pitch is vital. If I could play an instrument it sure as hell wouldn't hurt though.

wurly
himself
Old 22nd October 2002
Gear Addict

Definitely in the A/P/E category myself. I often play any number of instruments during the course of a project.

I'm only particularily proficient at guitar, but I find I'm good enough at a lot of other things to bring a lot of other tones and textures to the party. Sometimes, I'll add some parts on the sly and then see if people point it out and like it. If not I just ****can it.

Not that I always get involved this way, but I think it's one of the things I'm better at. Soldering being one of the many things I'm not better at!
Old 25th October 2002
Capitol Studios Paris

The poll is still open....please vote if you haven't already!
Old 25th October 2002
There is only one

Re: clueless in the red light

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
But if I had it to do over again I would like to play an instrument or two.
its never too late to learn.

im sure there are ways around not playing instruments and knowing the feeling of being on the other side of the glass... hell, you could always just play some percussion tracks for ****s and grins w/o having to learn anything just to get that "feeling" that exists.

i just started knocking them out. began with piano at 5, then guitar at 14, bass, drums at 20... and even though i cant sing for ****, i will go play guitar and sing into the mic sometimes all drunk and high by myself just to hear whats going on. it really did wonders being able to work with singers who have no mic technique.
Old 25th October 2002
Gear Addict

usually when i am engineering i produce . and when i produce i engineer..i am a better producer than engineer. so i guess its producer/engineer.although i make most of my money mixing.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

I don't wear hats, my head's too big.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
Genius would have been my first choice but it was unavailable.
Well, yeah. That's because I already own it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search