The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Addict

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

There is an updated version of the Mytek Brooklyn called the Brooklyn DAC+:

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn/

I'm wondering if anybody has tried it? I'm curious if it's now at or close to the level of a Crane Song Solaris or a Dangerous Music Convert-2. Or if a similarly-priced RME ADI-2 Pro has a DAC of similar quality plus a fairly highly regarded ADC.
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
I'd be interested as well in this going forward. OP has already listed the DACs I'd want it to be compared with. I'd also add Benchmark DAC3. I don't hear much about that and where that stands.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
I'd be interested as well in this going forward. OP has already listed the DACs I'd want it to be compared with. I'd also add Benchmark DAC3. I don't hear much about that and where that stands.
Thank you, I forgot about the DAC3, I'm interested in that as well.
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

I can really only speculate, I had my Manhattan DAC upgraded to the Manhattan II which uses the same new DAC chip and some of the circuit refinements as the Brooklyn+ and it was a really big improvement. I think I had heard that the Brooklyn+ also has a better power supply.

At present I haven't heard anything more accurate than the Manhattan II, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new Brooklyn is really, really good.
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
...I had my Manhattan DAC upgraded to the Manhattan II...
How do you like it in DSD256?
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1ferrari View Post
How do you like it in DSD256?
Ok, here is where I am bummed. The Apple driverless USB protocol for DSD actually doesn't allow 256! It requires DoP (DSD over PCM) which uses a big PCM file as a wrapper, and for 256 it is something like 64/708khz, which is too big for anything to handle.

I'm going to need a PC to actually test out the DSD 256 capability.

I wish they would be upfront about the fact that you can't do Quad DSD on Apple without a custom driver, which Mytek isn't doing. They probably don't want to say "DSD 256 Capable* *Only on Windows machines", but that is the truth.

It sounds great at DSD 128. Maybe not the biggest and most three dimensional, but very clear, really smooth, and accurate.
Old 29th October 2017
Gear Addict

This is from the Brooklyn DAC Owner's Manual ver. 1.7 / July 2017:
SDIF3 DSD Input: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (natively)

Is this possible with your Manhattan II
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1ferrari View Post
This is from the Brooklyn DAC Owner's Manual ver. 1.7 / July 2017:
SDIF3 DSD Input: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (natively)

Is this possible with your Manhattan II
I think it is. I should try hooking up the Tascam DA-3000, it's the only thing I have with SDIF3.
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

My Brooklyn DAC+ will arrive this weekend....
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear
How do I do dsd? Even on Mac for a mix?
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I got it. It is a very silent and beautiful sound compared with Hilo.
The low range is tight and refined. Sound disappearance and rising are very clear. I immediately liked it.
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

Anyone have further experience with the DAC+? Especially interested in any comparisons vs RME ADI-2 Pro or the original Brooklyn.
Old 10th February 2018
Here for the gear

I have been using the Brooklyn DAC+ for a few months now. It easily bests the Bifrost Multibit it replaced. Sound quality does benefit from using an external LPS (I use Sbooster) and S/PDIF input using Schiit Etir. The built in headphone amp is not exceptional, my Vali 2 is better using HD800S phones.

I bought the DAC+ to have the option to stream MQA using Tidal and it fulfills that objective quite well. I consider it a neutral, transparent DAC that pairs well with the tube amps and phones I use. My unit has been trouble free left on 24/7 and customer service was quick to respond to some questions I had.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Hi @ mytek , or anyone else that can help.

Does anyone know the RCA output voltage after the -6dB attenuation (internal jumpers) has been engaged?

From Stereophile's measurements of the original Brooklyn:

"The maximum output levels at 1kHz were 9.84V from the balanced outputs and 4.9V from the single-ended outputs."

Does the -6dB attenuation cut these values in exactly half? So with the internal -6dB attenuation engaged (internal jumpers), the single ended output voltage is basically 2.5V?

4.9V output is definitely way too hot for me unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search