The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iZ ADA II as master clock... how to Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

iZ ADA II as master clock... how to

I'd like to use the iZ ADA II as master clock.

I read somewhere that daisy chaining clock isn't the right way to do it. For ex:

ADA clock Out to HEDD clock In, HEDD clock Out to RME MADI clock In.

The HEDD isn't seeing clock. Should I be using T-connectors instead? For ex:

ADA clock Out to T-Connector which is connected to the HEDD clock In. T-Connector from HEDD to RME clock In, and should the RME be terminated?

Thanks!
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yes. T connector. Last one in link needs to be terminated. Don't use more than one T connector in any chain. So if the ADA II is the master, out of that into a T on the HEDD input (so the base of the "T" is connected to the HEDD input) and then the other leg goes to the RME input (where you terminate -- internally on that but if you couldn't do it internally, you can use a terminator on another T at that point.) Make sure your T connectors are 75 Ohm (50 Ohm can look almost exactly the same).

If you need to connect more than 3 things together via wordclock, you're going to need a clock distributor.
(also make sure you aren't over-terminating -- there should only be one terminator. I don't know if the HEDD has termination options but it should not be terminating if you are terminating at the RME)
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hey Pentagon, thanks for clearing things up. Here's what it looks like.

Strange, yesterday I removed the ADA II, and swapped it with the Orion 32HD and connected it to the HEDD and RME. The clock light lit up on the HEDD. With my current setup, the HEDD clock light isn't lit. Any thoughts as to why this isn't working? Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
iZ ADA II as master clock... how to-ada_hedd_rme.png  
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

If you are using the HDSPe MADI card, don't use a T connector and a separate terminator there. Run into the WC input on the RME card and depress the blue button on the back to engage termination.

Make sure on the ADA II from the menu system that Sync Ref Output is set to Wordclock and not Thru setting. (and, of course, make sure you have a solid green around Internal for Sync Reference)
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hey Pen, I PM'd you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Landon View Post
Hey Pentagon, thanks for clearing things up. Here's what it looks like.

Strange, yesterday I removed the ADA II, and swapped it with the Orion 32HD and connected it to the HEDD and RME. The clock light lit up on the HEDD. With my current setup, the HEDD clock light isn't lit. Any thoughts as to why this isn't working? Thx.
Hi Dean,

I'm in the search of an update for my mixing mastering setup.
I actually have 2 Prism Orpheus so 16ins and outs.

I'm short of outputs as I'm using outboard reverbs and analog summing.

I saw you have a ADAII, Orion 32HD and Hedd. What is your preference in sound quality?

also it seem's a lot of people are having problems with their orion, what's your experience?

Thanks.

Franck
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi Franck, I've tried several ADA's and the ADA II is definitely hard to beat. I also use its clock as master. The Orion is a good unit, but when I played my mixes through it and then the ADA II, I preferred the ADA II. But the Orion packs a mean punch for the price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Ok thank you Dean!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Franck, I've tried several ADA's and the ADA II is definitely hard to beat. I also use its clock as master. The Orion is a good unit, but when I played my mixes through it and then the ADA II, I preferred the ADA II. But the Orion packs a mean punch for the price.
hey Dean, hope you are well .. if you work at 48k only, do you have any use for an Aardsync II work clock gen, distributor .. ??? if this would help instead of using the "T's .. not sure would help you, but always thought a Distribution amp works better ..i have 2 sitting here .. PM me if you do ..

just on the other end of the valley !!!

cheers john
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi John, Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm all good to go. The T's are working out perfectly.

Cheers,
Dean
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi John, Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm all good to go. The T's are working out perfectly.

Cheers,
Dean
right on .. have a great weekend !!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search