The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8341A Studio Monitors
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I’m full time self employed as a sound designer, composer and producer. I earn enough to pay the bills and have a good life, but it’s not making me rich by any stretch of the imagination. Buying a pair of monitors for €5000+ is something I absolutely can’t do right now if I wanted to. And I don’t use Creditcards to fund stuff if I don’t have the funds.
Simple, charge your clients more or get more business. Word of mouth is a big thing in the industry, you should have a full book of work to keep a good cashflow situation. I Amortize my equipment and get tax write offs as well.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head
My 8341s have paid for themselves because they enable me to work quickly and confidently knowing that my output is always as broadcast ready as I think it is.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Okay they got installed. One big ol sweetspot with the 8341 and even more details revealed. They are damn good monitors. Definitely worth the price of admission. Amazing how far Studio monitors have evolved and the fact they can pack so much in a small space.
Old 25th January 2019
Has anyone compared these to the Barefoot Footprint? I know they are nearly twice the price, but am curious how they compare.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eromain View Post
My 8341s have paid for themselves because they enable me to work quickly and confidently knowing that my output is always as broadcast ready as I think it is.
I noticed that I can work long hours with zero ear fatigue at the end of the day. I have never been able to find the perfect monitors when it comes to eradicating listener fatigue till now. And I have experienced plenty of different monitors in my life.

I have always been very sensitive to this issue where others do not seem to suffer from it. Finally I found something that works. I wonder if it is the coaxial design?
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Interesting experience with the 8341s. I took them from my Treated studio room to the office, place them and was meh. These 8341s suck in an untreated room. I figured maybe time to calibrate and actually open up the GLM Kit (I never used GLM before).

I set it up and did the calibration routine and saw how horrid the office is, I am talking real ****. so clicked on optimize and send the settings to the speakers, played my refrerence songs etc. and I was amazed at how good they work in my ****ty office

Genelecs will reveal right away a crap environment.

Mistake bringing them to the office, now I want a pair for the desk.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear
Love these monitors, so easy to work with them. The problem is you get used to working easy and now get addicted to them, I want pairs for the rest of the rooms and a pair for portable field work

BAD BAD BAD Genelec. What an ingenious idea to design a coaxial in such a fashion.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

I keep hearing such great things about them. Certainly has piqued my interest. Let me guess, I'll probably end up bringing a pair of 8351s home one day
Old 20 hours ago
Here for the gear

I feel I must chip in here: just my 2p-worth...

I bought these last summer, not soon after the B's came out.
They have double the amount of frequencies over the original "A" (8351)

I have the 8341's, figuring that I wouldn't need the extra SPL of the 8351's, but wanted the later calibration capabilities that the "B" appeared to offer. The 8331's seemed a little TOO small to me at the time.

I also opted for a pair of the 7350A subs: with the benefit of hindsight, I reckon I could have been better of getting a pair of 31's with the subs.

The 41's on their own, after calibrating with the GLM, at normal monitoring levels (80-90db in room) can deliver decent low end.
I'm thinking that with the subs, and tuned using GLM, the 31's would be fine?

I totally agree with the above comments, especially the ultra-near stuff.

These monitors are staggeringly good. A lot of people will be put off by the price, for sure..but most of these people , if not all, will never have heard them and be going on the opinions of those who also have never heard them IN THEIR OWN ROOMS!

Just because a set of monitors sound great in one room doesn't mean they'll sound great in yours...and you NEED to make sure your room is sorted before spending out on monitors like these, for sure.

And that leads nicely on to this: iirc, the GLM software can only CUT frequencies, not boost?
Now this IS a sensible thing, as it emphasises the need to sort out any large nulls you may have in your room.

When I was buying these, the sales guy tried to put me off the GLM, favouring the Sonarworks calibration kit, saying that "you can boost with this: the GLM can only cut"as if that makes it better..?!

We all know that boosting a deficient frequency by 18db to "fill in the gap" is a pointless exercise.

So, given these monitors are very pricey, it makes sense to dedicate a decent amount of time / money / effort to get your room as good as possible before treating yourself.. :-)

But, once you have them set up correctly, and your ears have acclimatised to them, I think I would find it VERY difficult to go back to anything else..I just wouldn't trust them anymore....?

Just my findings.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search