The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PMC TB2 bryston, TB2 active, The Rock, genelec m040,
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

PMC TB2 bryston, TB2 active, The Rock, genelec m040,

I need a smaller speaker that still packs some punch. I have JBL 4328 right now and they are really boomy; and are overpowering my room. I don't want to miss too much bass content though. I do a lot of pop and urban. I've been noticing the more you spend on these little speakers, the more they sound as open as good 8inch driven active monitors. What would you recommend?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the PMC TBiis. They really shine in the vocal area and aren't too hyped in the highs. That said they're missing the last octave of bass like most monitors that size and so pair well with a subwoofer.

-B
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I feel like the m040 aren't really missing a lot of bass. If people feel those are missing the last octave as well I'd hop on the tb2...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Amphion One 15 100%

If mine can handle my 808s, they can handle anyone else's lol
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Amphion One 15 100%

If mine can handle my 808s, they can handle anyone else's lol
Everyone keeps talking about these
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
They’re amazing for mixing. I would 100% get them over the others you mentioned man.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They’re amazing for mixing. I would 100% get them over the others you mentioned man.
Yeah I think that's why Im not gonna get them... I don't want to hear toooo much. I think Im gonna get the PMCs. A partner of mine has IB2s, and while these are not ib2s... I've heard its in the same family. Just hearing the NS10s in with the bryston ST combination and I'm hearing things I didnt know an NS10 could produce. Im happy with quick mixes on NS10s... they're translating better than anything I've ever used.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I think that's why Im not gonna get them... I don't want to hear toooo much. I think Im gonna get the PMCs. A partner of mine has IB2s, and while these are not ib2s... I've heard its in the same family. Just hearing the NS10s in with the bryston ST combination and I'm hearing things I didnt know an NS10 could produce. Im happy with quick mixes on NS10s... they're translating better than anything I've ever used.
In regards to hearing "too much", I know what you mean, however, these aren't like that. These will make you sell your ns10s.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In regards to hearing "too much", I know what you mean, however, these aren't like that. These will make you sell your ns10s.
I bet it's lit. Trying to stay on budget, and it isn't my studio. lol I'm in that camp that really enjoys music coming out of NS10s. very nostalgic, and I got them brand new, they sound noticeably different from the other ones, a lot fuller and once. I broke em in the mids became more robust. They're so simple, I love them. I could actually make a trap record on them without a sub, I've already learned them. If I see a 115s in a nice price range I'll get them
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amphion One15
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I think that's why I’m not gonna get them... I don't want to hear too much. I think I’m gonna get the PMCs.
I would definitely suggest demo-ing both in your space before making that decision.

FWIW I did just that exact shootout for several weeks last year: Amphion One15 vs PMC TB2+...

(Arguably the One15s would probably be more fairly pitted against the DB1s, with the One 18s being more comparable to the TB2s, but still.)

Conclusion - compared to TB2s, I found the Amphion One15s faster, more accurate, better soundstage, smoother, much easier to position in a smaller space and translate better/quicker. They just don't seem to impart a 'sound' on anything - they just let it through pure and unaltered. Comparable in some ways to the NS10s I used to use but way, way superior and much more enjoyable to work with. Astounding.

The only area where the TB2s 'won' for me was in bass extension - with good amps/cables/stands and placement it's crazy how much usable low-end information you get out of these boxes. (Transmission-line technology I've always preferred to ported stuff, which applies to the IB2s you mention too.) They're a bit more efficient too and so will go 'louder' with the same amp.

So if you like to track loud with loads of bass end and you have a space where you can experiment widely with placement/listening position then it might be TB2s.

But if flat-out accuracy for mixing is your thing I'd choose the One15s every time.

I've been working for years with the TB2s and I do love them, but the Amphion One15s as a mixing tool in a smallish space are breathtakingly good and I bought them. I soon stopped worrying about the subjective 'lack' of bass end as in fact they pump out a goodly/surprising amount of low info and the overall balance is so good (much like NS10s) that everything seems to fall into place easily and translates very well.

One year on, and I am glad of that decision every day I sit down to work.

(My venerable TB2s have been 'put out to grass' on the end of my living-room stereo so it's all good. )

Last edited by James Lehmann; 6 days ago at 09:15 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I would definitely suggest demo-ing both in your space before making that decision.

FWIW I did just that exact shootout for several weeks last year: Amphion One15 vs PMC TB2+...

(Arguably the One15s would probably be more fairly pitted against the DB1s, with the One 18s being more comparable to the TB2s, but still.)

Conclusion - compared to TB2s, I found the Amphion One15s faster, more accurate, better soundstage, smoother, much easier to position in a smaller space and translate better/quicker. They just don't seem to impart a 'sound' on anything - they just let it through pure and unaltered. Comparable in some ways to the NS10s I used to use but way, way superior and much more enjoyable to work with. Astounding.

The only area where the TB2s 'won' for me was in bass extension - with good amps/cables/stands and placement it's crazy how much usable low-end information you get out of these boxes. (Transmission-line technology I've always preferred to ported stuff, which applies to the IB2s you mention too.) They're a bit more efficient too and so will go 'louder' with the same amp.

So if you like to track loud with loads of bass end and you have a space where you can experiment widely with placement/listening position then it might be TB2s.

But if flat-out accuracy for mixing is your thing I'd choose the One15s every time.

I've been working for years with the TB2s and I do love them, but the Amphion One15s as a mixing tool in a smallish space are breathtakingly good and I bought them. I soon stopped worrying about the subjective 'lack' of bass end as in fact they pump out a goodly/surprising amount of low info and the overall balance is so good (much like NS10s) that everything seems to fall into place easily and translates very well.

(My venerable TB2s have been 'put out to grass' on the end of my living-room stereo so it's all good. )
I agree with this 100%
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found the Amphion One15s faster
Exactly what do you mean by "faster"? Damping? Transients? Can you define that in either musical or technical terms?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks a lot that's exactly what I figured. I'm doing okay with rough mixes on the ns10 maybe I'll get the one15 to replace the ns10s in the future

Question, are the tb2+ and the tb2s+ the same or no? They both read tb2+ on the back. I'm worried about amp to run them with.

I've been using bryston 4bst for some days and the bass coming out of the ns10s are insane... one problem, I prefer the mids of the 70 dollar peavy m2600. It's so depthful in the mids. I never noticed reverb on a specific vocal till I tried the m2600, and of course I can't have my cake and eat it because the peavey has some hiss lol. Not only did I hear the reverb I could decipher it was a delay that was reverberated and equed at 1.5-2k. The bryston is more depthful on the low mid, low end and quiet, rarely gets hot. any alternative amps to get the best of both worlds?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe I'll get the one15 to replace the ns10s in the future...
As per my first post, in my experience (i.e. I've done exactly that) you could replace both the TB2s and the NS10s with the One15s when the time comes.
Quote:
Question, are the tb2+ and the tb2s+ the same?
To the best of my knowledge they are sonically identical, the only difference being the external finish; 'vanilla TB2s have a wood finish, while the TB2S (S = Studio) have a sort of harder-wearing plasticised finish. As you already know, the '+' denoted a tweeter upgrade which was fitted to new models and could upgrade the older ones.
Quote:
I've been using bryston 4bst for some days... any alternative amps to get the best of both worlds?
I think you'll struggle to make a subjective 'quality' improvement to the revered Bryston. That said - check out the main NS10 Amplifier thread for all sorts of alternative suggestions, many reasonable and some outrageous (like you need 1000W a side to 'get the best out of the NS10s'!). The Amphion thread has some good general advice on amps & cables too.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 5 days ago at 12:04 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As per my first post, in my experience (i.e. I've done exactly that) you could replace both the TB2s and the NS10s with the One15s when the time comes.

To the best of my knowledge they are sonically identical, the only difference being the external finish; 'vanilla TB2s have a wood finish, while the TB2S (S = Studio) have a sort of harder-wearing plasticised finish. As you already know the '+' denoted a tweeter upgrade which was fitted to new models and could upgrade the older ones.

I think you'll struggle to make a subjective 'quality' improvement to the revered Bryston. That said - check out the main NS10 Amplifier thread for all sorts of alternative suggestions, many reasonable and some outrageous (like you need 1000W a side to 'get the best out of the NS10s'!). The Amphion thread has some good general advice on amps & cables too.
A best of both worlds would probably be what I use with my Amphions, an Adcom gfa545 (mk1) modded by Jim Williams (cost about $400 total with amp and modding), perfect amp imo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search