The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I Get 2nd Analogue Compressor or Hardware EQ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th October 2017
Here for the gear

Do I Get 2nd Analogue Compressor or Hardware EQ?

Hey guys, for my final ITB mixdown I love my Rupert Neve MBP. For some applications it's too transparent for me and I'm wanting more color from tubes that many say they love from the Manley Vari Mu (I've never used in my studio however). $3K is my current budget and I've read many posts from mastering engineers on GS about using the two to compliment each other (the vari mu after the MBP in particular).

I also know some other engineers who swear by running through a tube eq on the master buss.

For $3K would you recommend:

1) I get a Vari Mu (or better suggestion)
2) I get a tube eq (which I eventually want)
3) use my money elsewhere - my idea of 2 comps is redundant

Thanks for any feedback
Old 3rd December 2017
The Phoenix is very nice and works on a broad variety of music styles!
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotabound View Post
Hey guys, for my final ITB mixdown I love my Rupert Neve MBP. For some applications it's too transparent for me and I'm wanting more color from tubes that many say they love from the Manley Vari Mu (I've never used in my studio however). $3K is my current budget and I've read many posts from mastering engineers on GS about using the two to compliment each other (the vari mu after the MBP in particular).

I also know some other engineers who swear by running through a tube eq on the master buss.

For $3K would you recommend:

1) I get a Vari Mu (or better suggestion)
2) I get a tube eq (which I eventually want)
3) use my money elsewhere - my idea of 2 comps is redundant

Thanks for any feedback

Tube EQ and then add another compressor later
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

I would suggest getting something versatile like a used Hammer EQ and go from there.

I like the MVM very much but it’s is a luxury, a bonus piece for me that *sometimes* makes things subtly awesome in just the right way.

Whereas I find the Hammer always useful, always making my mix bus better in very immediate ways.

If you’re patient, and bought wisely on the used market you could maybe get that and an Avalon 747 for tube-y goodness, all close to your budget.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I would suggest getting something versatile like a used Hammer EQ and go from there.

I like the MVM very much but it’s is a luxury, a bonus piece for me that *sometimes* makes things subtly awesome in just the right way.

Whereas I find the Hammer always useful, always making my mix bus better in very immediate ways.

If you’re patient, and bought wisely on the used market you could maybe get that and an Avalon 747 for tube-y goodness, all close to your budget.
love the Hammer

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search