The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor reliability Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor reliability

I am about to pull the trigger on a SHMC but wanted to hear from other users about its reliability. I know a couple of people who have had issues with theirs, particularly in relation to the magic eye meter. Was this just the case with early production units and these issues have now been ironed out?

Any feedback is much appreciated!
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Bump
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict

Customer service (at least in the repairs department) has slipped over at Shadow Hills. Unorganized, slow and not thorough.
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe it's not the answer you want to hear, but for that cash I'd get 3 different compressors (SSL, API 2500 and a RED3 or a Vari Mu.. Or 3 compressors you might want) or for slightly more the UTA Unfairchild II.. and cover basically everything comes into your door without any issue..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Having mine for about 10 years now: I never had a single issue with it, besides one VU meter lamp blew. Once the PSU had a problem, but I got a replacement one in one day from my distributor for the time mine was in service. The SHMC itself is rock solid, built like a tank, inside is nothing that could easily break (e.g. no 23 valves). It is not the kinda gear you‘d really need to improve your mixes. You can do the same results with a Pendulum OCR plus an API/SSL/Red3.
But don‘t underestimate how impressed your clients will be when they see that monster. And it is certainly not only for the show - that machine sounds gorgeous! Is it worth it‘s price? No. Would I buy it again? Yes. Hope this helps.
One word of caution: Did you try the UAD plugin? You like it? Forget about it, the hardware sounds completely different, at least my one does!
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Maybe it's not the answer you want to hear, but for that cash I'd get 3 different compressors (SSL, API 2500 and a RED3 or a Vari Mu.. Or 3 compressors you might want) or for slightly more the UTA Unfairchild II.. and cover basically everything comes into your door without any issue..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
I agree on getting 3 compressors for the price of this one unit. If you have the other 3 compressors already and you want a special compressor......only then would I consider this one.
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies guys. We already own the other comps on the list, so this would be a new flavour.
Old 28th December 2017
I don't have the SHMC but... be aware that those winking eye valves simply don't last for ever. Just assume that you will have to replace it every couple of years as part of the maintenance costs of the unit.
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. We already own the other comps on the list, so this would be a new flavour.
Then I'd get the UTA or 2x Electronaut M97 or a Fearn VT-7.. not cheap, but at least they're VERY special, unique, built with very high quality standards. Very cleverly designed and engineered, a sort of re-innovation.

Good luck with your search,

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search