The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Thermonic Culture box for "warming" digital sounds? Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Thermionic Culture Vulture
4 Votes - 40.00%
Thermionic Culture Rooster
2 Votes - 20.00%
Other - please state by replying
4 Votes - 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

Best Thermonic Culture box for "warming" digital sounds?

Hi,
Hope you can help.

I am in a market for my first piece of outboard valve pre-amp/distortion/saturator box, and I particularly like the offerings from Thermionic Culture - both Culture Vulture and Rooster 2 look very promising.

There is very little information comparing the two on Gearslutz so I thought I'll ask the question.

I specifically ask from a point of producing electronic/dance music with (samples, bass, synths, kicks, percussions, occasional vocals and acoustic sources).
CV seems to be popular among the dance music crowd (D. Ramirez, Matador, etc. use it in their studios to process drums, bass and synths).

My local shop has both CV and Rooster2 at small price difference, but they've suggested the Rooster as they claim most of the sounds on CV are unusable and unsubtle, while the Rooster's quite flexible EQ section as well as the triode and pentode mode around Attitude function gets you pretty much in the CV territory and more. So...Rooster being a pre-amp as well as more flexible CV with an EQ doesn't sound like a bad deal. Is that even a good way of looking it?
Therefore, Rooster 2 is what I'm leaning toward buying at the moment....

My question is...does anyone have any experience of using both Culture Vulture and Rooster2, and whether Rooster2 can achieve most of the blissful saturated/distorted sounds that CV can.
How do you use them in your productions and which would you recommend to purchase first?
Perhaps, you're fond of other character pieces that can get me in the teritory of CV/Rooster2 (valve pentode and triode modes seeming to be essential for key sounds), perhaps even something in the 500 series...

Thanks
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Take a look at Kerwax Replica too... tube saturation and warming at its best
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Have you asked your local shop if you could set them both up onsite and just test them out for a few minutes? Maybe the electronic sounds you are going for are different than what the sales rep there thinks.
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

_GLM_ - Kerwax looks sick! Slightly above my price range but a great looking box nevertheless.

Monsieur_R - Great suggestion, I'll be going to a local shop next week to check out the cultured boxes in person. In the meantime, I've been hoping to hear what Gearslutz crowd thinks the best options are. There could be other great boxes at this price which I haven't considered.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

I had the Culture Vulture and thought it was incredible. Never experienced a tool that could add harmonics so well to quick transients (and everything else too). Snares, hi hats, kick drums, synth stabs etc. I honestly don't know what they meant by saying the CV wouldn't be as adept at that as the rooster, but I haven't tried the rooster and can't speak to it. If I had the money I'd have the CV again in a heartbeat.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Kerwax Replica for what you want.

Price in USA is now $3000.
Old 13th October 2017
I've got the Vulture Mastering plus. I find it to be quite versatile and It's capable of very subtle to very over-the-top mischief
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Does anybody here own a Kerwax Replica? How does it compare to the culture vulture? Thx
Old 14th October 2017
HI the rooster is more of an all round tool.

If you choose not to drive it it is a really nice pre

But.... you can drive it and get a whole range of great harmonic tones.

I just love it for giving flavour for soft synths and recording bass through it is great.

But it can be a great nice pre if you watch teh levels too.

I sadly had to let mine go and regret it.

I have a Phoenix mastering + and you'd have to prize that from my dead cold hands. It's that good for mastering.

So a big thumbs up for the Rooster for me.

Never had a Vulture so can't comment would love one though......
Old 15th October 2017
The Blackbox HG-2 slays them.

The Kerwax looks lovely but the demos don't sound too great, the fuzz is nasty.
Old 16th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Blackbox HG-2 slays them.

The Kerwax looks lovely but the demos don't sound too great, the fuzz is nasty.
Yeah the Kerwax does look the part, dunnit? But I can never tell a thing about how something sounds until I get a hold of it in person.
Old 16th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReezon View Post
Yeah the Kerwax does look the part, dunnit? But I can never tell a thing about how something sounds until I get a hold of it in person.
That can be very true but I find with something as unsubtle as fuzz it's easier.
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Head

Some at this moment did already a comparison with the Culture vulture and the Kerwax?
Thank you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search