The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP 4816 or hybrid setup
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

Audient ASP 4816 or hybrid setup

So my non profit Freedom Soundworks, yes shameless plug look us up. Is nearing our studio upgrade and 2 schools of thought have presented themselves.
Everything’s based around a pro tools hdx system with an antalope 32 hd converter
We can either do an ASP 4816 console with a couple more more outboard preamps
Or
24-28 outboard pres with a dangerous audio summing mixer (the new one) and an S3 control unit
Both setups are similar in price and I’m leaning to the more traditional board.
Any thought??
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

How many channels of simultaneous recording do you need ?
Who would be driving the system ?
What is their workflow preference ?
I believe novices would be able to understand and learn signal flow better on a hardware channel strip of a console than the virtual one on a screen. Overdubbing and having channels return to make headphone and a monitor mix will be easier on a console
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

How many channels of simultaneous recording do you need ? I don’t see needing more than 24, the board has 16 pres so maybe a couple Daking or API pres needed on top.

How would be driving the system? Initially me but my studio will ultimatley be a school too. So there will be many hands on it.

What is their work flow preference? Currently I have a hybrid setup (without the summing mixer)
Running a black lion xb modded 002....yeah she’s old but she’s a beast......with and audient asp800 which sound great and a couple black lion auteur pres and a command 8 board. I’m maxed out at 16 ins and really would welcome the extra ins. I learned on a real board and I agree with the channel strip comment especial for teaching.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm guessing you're recording bands/ensembles as you recording upto 24 inputs. If that's the case, then a console is going to make things a whole lot quicker and easier. I have a 4816 and it's superb. I use a 3124 and an aurora gtq for the main sources and the rest get the audients pre's.

The ability to set up cue mixes in seconds or just grab faders and change the balance in an instant is just so handy. I hate doing that sort of thing in software, especially if I've got a band breathing down my neck. The workflow would be easier to learn for outsiders too. Just my 2p...
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

Ultraburner my thoughts exactly!!
Yes the most I foresee needing is for tracking drums and I’m kind of a minimalist so I don’t often use more than 10-14 mics for that. But the the ability to have more (what’s the actual in count for that board) available would be nice.
What’s the learning curve on the board?
I’ve been fascinated with this board since I first
found out about it.
What’s tech support at audient like? And I wonder do they have reps that can help with setup etc??
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtart View Post
Ultraburner
What’s the learning curve on the board?

What’s tech support at audient like? And I wonder do they have reps that can help with setup etc??
Learning curve? It does what it says it will do, but with almost digital-like transparency. Good routing with lots of headroom. Patchbay is a must.

Tech support hasn't been needed; it's been in use 3 years.
Old 8th October 2017
Here for the gear

Learning curve as in once it’s all patched how quickly are you comfortable with the digital routing etc. what is your thought on the main bus compressor.
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Maniac

The signal flow is pretty comprehensive; inserts everywhere, eq's can be split to either path etc but nothing crazy. It didn't take me long to feel comfortable.

The bus comp is ok, I use it to maybe shave a db or two nothing more. Most of the time it's doing nothing, just the occasional bit of g.r.

It doesn't sound great if you ask it to do more to my ears.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtart View Post
Learning curve as in once it’s all patched how quickly are you comfortable with the digital routing etc. what is your thought on the main bus compressor.
Another 4816 user here. Once it's all patched in its dead easy and logical. Don't get what you mean by digital routing as it's an all-analogue desk. You'll need a few patch bays though as you can patch directly from the consoles dedicated DAW inserts and returns as well as MIC/LINE inserts and returns, group and mix inserts and returns etc.

I have the seventh desk they built, been used constantly the past 5 years not a single technical issue. Audience support is first rate.

In addition to the console pres I have some Great River, Avedis and tube outboard pre amps patched in via xlr patchbay to several line inputs on the 4816 channels should i want to use some different 'colours' when tracking.

Re the buss comp, great when used sparingly I agree, but can really smash things should you wish too, it can really crush.
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Nut
I agree with the other here, for recording, I'd go for the console. Maybe get a Faderport in as a daw controller/automation. (It fits nice and well above the compressor. Great feature incidental Audient!)
I haven't used it much but I really like the very clean sound we got out of it. Very easy to use and to learn (even for non professionals.)
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

Awesome!! Thanks all defiantly have more lean towards the audient setup. Going to augment it with a poritico 5024 and a 4 channel daking pre.
Thanks again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search