The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unconvinced on high end montiors Studio Monitors
Old 5th April 2018
  #451
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
And as is always true in life and st GS....
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/hand-...nail-bangers_o
Scores last place!!!

Seems like carpenters dont agree either...heh


Let me try and guess some of the arguments against said review of the greatist hammer...
Those guys wouldnt know a hammer if it hit them on the thumb...or how about
That reviewer is a shill for titanium hammer companies...etc
Lets not overlook the price of the winner...$272.00

Cheers
Eric
Well carpenter do not agree But the fact that the Dogyu hammer in that test is not the same Hammer I posted about , it is a 13" handle 20 oz head finnish hammer may have something to do with it not being liked as framing hammer . But hey why stick to facts when nonsense sells better
Old 5th April 2018
  #452
Lives for gear
 

Hammer Time!!!



Old 5th April 2018
  #453
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Well you did say "I don't care what the blind listening test showed " but anyway fwiw here you go : it was a properly controlled blind abx test , there links to the original study in the first post:

Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!? - diyAudio

Of course I am not saying subjectivity is bad just that it should be tempred with objectivism and that ignoring objective measurements is unusual in many other industres. Anyway - let's try and keep thing civil or I will respectfully withdraw (:
I already own the last and only studio monitors I am ever going to own so .....
Yes- I do not care what a blind listening test shows.
And what is not civil about asking if your are aware and suggesting you might be more aware, of what is actually on the links you post ?

BTW did you read the info in the new link or try any of the relinks ?? the only one that works apparently refers to paper presented by Siegfried Linkwitz not Geddes And involves some engineer named David Clark ?

And did you look at the paper and the pictures of the set up and read the actual methodology ?

It is in an untreated living room with speakers in different positions, testing studio monitors against hi fi speakers And with EQ being applied to the Behringers but not the Orions ? and with the speakers canted at different angles ? and with Sub being use on the Behringers and not the others ?
And it was conducted 2009 ....... Sorry but the methodology is highly suspect at best .

And Bottom line it has no relevance to real world studio monitoring comparisons today...

Last edited by KevWind; 5th April 2018 at 07:53 PM..
Old 5th April 2018
  #454
Lives for gear
 

As long as this Thread has gone on, do ANY of you REALLY care if Behringer Truths do or don't sound better than Linkwitz Orions?
Old 5th April 2018
  #455
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well carpenter do not agree But the fact that the Dogyu hammer in that test is not the same Hammer I posted about , it is a 13" handle 20 oz head finnish hammer may have something to do with it not being liked as framing hammer . But hey why stick to facts when nonsense sells better
Please actually read the review....It is not a trim hammer. It has a waffle head. They call it a checkerd head. The winning hammer only had a 15 oz head.
Why stick to facts indeed!!
Cheers
Eric
Old 5th April 2018
  #456
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
As long as this Thread has gone on, do ANY of you REALLY care if Behringer Truths do or don't sound better than Linkwitz Orions?
As much as I care whether they sound better than "Oxford X1s" or "Chimera Ardents" or "Gold Dragon GFXs."

I'm not sure language has been developed to usefully discuss the sound of monitors that I have heard. When you start adding names of things I haven't heard.......
Old 6th April 2018
  #457
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
Please actually read the review....It is not a trim hammer. It has a waffle head. They call it a checkerd head. The winning hammer only had a 15 oz head.
Why stick to facts indeed!!
Cheers
Eric
The point was the hammer reviewed was not the hammer I posted about and that is a fact.
Please read the review it is call a "Nailing" hammer not a "framing" hammer then the review states the 20 oz is too light for "framing" (which is highly debatable) and that a checkered head "rules it out for trim" (Which is also debatable), because I used a checkered head for trim (before guns came along) because I alway used a punch to sink the nail below wood surface .
Given that smooth hammer tracks are just as problematic as checkered tracks in stain grade finnish work, it renders the old wives tale that a finnish hammer has to be smooth, specious.

.. And in any case if the winning hammer had a 15 oz head then the statement in the Dogyu "review" is nonsense .. and that's just the facts

Trust me I used the long handled 22 oz Dogyu Framing Hammer for framing ( the one I posted about ) for almost 20 years and it is in fact a set-tap-drive... to sink 16 penny nails all day long day after day. The problem the so called reviewers had with the long head throwing off their aim is simply an excuse for lack of trying or more likely poor technique .
That is like blaming the scale length of a guitar neck not being able to hit the notes cleanly.

In any case people are free to believe whatever they want or feel they must .
I have made my case and see no future in circling the drain. Later

Last edited by KevWind; 6th April 2018 at 12:43 AM..
Old 6th April 2018
  #458
Lives for gear
 
rhizomeman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Sure, it would be nice. Impressive, luxurious, even cool. But what about the need part?
I upgraded from HR824s mk1 to Focal Twins and the improved quality of fidelity was extremely noticeable. If you plan on trying to make money by listening through a set of speakers, the answer is yes you are working at a disadvantage today without a fairly high end pair.

But, I would also like to submit the idea of passion to the discussion. When I listen to music on a good sound system, my "passion" for music is turned on, I get excited all over again about the thrill of being a musician. This excitement absolutely improves my awareness of what's happening in the signal and boosts my energy levels so I can work on music longer. I personally don't get that increased energy and awareness when I hear music on a shi**y system. In other words, the emotions a great sounding system can generate should not be overlooked or ignored.
Old 6th April 2018
  #459
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Hammer Time!!!



Hammer time! (other than Stanley Burrell)



Old 27th April 2018
  #460
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
I absolutely LOVE that this thread has morphed into a serious discussion about hammers.

Old 27th April 2018
  #461
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I upgraded from HR824s mk1 to Focal Twins and the improved quality of fidelity was extremely noticeable. If you plan on trying to make money by listening through a set of speakers, the answer is yes you are working at a disadvantage today without a fairly high end pair.

But, I would also like to submit the idea of passion to the discussion. When I listen to music on a good sound system, my "passion" for music is turned on, I get excited all over again about the thrill of being a musician. This excitement absolutely improves my awareness of what's happening in the signal and boosts my energy levels so I can work on music longer. I personally don't get that increased energy and awareness when I hear music on a shi**y system. In other words, the emotions a great sounding system can generate should not be overlooked or ignored.
Only very good recordings sounds good on high end monitors. Otherwise they sound ****ty. Thats caused by the amount of detail. Loudspeakers that miss some of this detail usually sound better on less great recordings.
Old 28th April 2018
  #462
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimoroc View Post
Only very good recordings sounds good on high end monitors. Otherwise they sound ****ty. Thats caused by the amount of detail. Loudspeakers that miss some of this detail usually sound better on less great recordings.
On the other hand, to offer as a critical' experienced listener a counter, I'm way more 'bugged -off-put', distracted?' by the majority of odd presentations from the speakers of the 'High fidelity' camp than record production issues.

One curiosity I ponder is the disconnect (it seems at least..) in this re; higher end audio world listeners.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump