The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking with Electrodyne 511 EQ 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Tracking with Electrodyne 511 EQ

Curious what your favorite tracking uses are with the Electrodyne 511 EQ.
Old 6th October 2017
I own a pair and I would call them indispensable.

I use them for adding size and depth to just about anything. They seem to change the sound of the instrument or vocal into something larger than the actual source. For instance, I find myself doing surprisingly large boosts at 500Hz with these things. I can’t think of another EQ I’d use to do that. And when I do, the sound jumps out of the speakers. Singers are suddenly standing in the room next to me.

The 511 is a magic tone shaper more than an EQ. That’s probably the best way to put it.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

500 hz? Really interesting.
Old 6th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
500 hz? Really interesting.
Yeah, I'm as surprised as you are. I just turn the knobs until I like it and then - whoa! I'm +6 at 500Hz. What?!

That's why I don't think of them like EQ's. They're more like mysterious tone-shapers.

If I need to EQ something in the traditional sense of the word, I'll reach for another box.

For example, my 511's are all over the lead vox on this: The Rocketboys - You and Everyone Else
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
Yeah, I'm as surprised as you are. I just turn the knobs until I like it and then - whoa! I'm +6 at 500Hz. What?!

That's why I don't think of them like EQ's. They're more like mysterious tone-shapers.

If I need to EQ something in the traditional sense of the word, I'll reach for another box.

For example, my 511's are all over the lead vox on this: The Rocketboys - You and Everyone Else
I’m getting a couple of the 511’s soon and I think I’m going to want two more after that! The music sounds very good vocals aside. Have you tried them on the mix bus?
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac
I've had the 2511 for a few months and it has been great on the two bus, for what it does. For high end lifts, sometimes a shelf from all the way at 1.5k can be transparent and beautiful. Bells at 250 or 500 can amazing at pushing or pulling bass or guitar. Yesterday I really brought a digital cold and thin jazz production to life by pushing a bell up at 1.5k and cleared a little low end mud with a bell at 100hz. It definitely is a magic tone shaper and it can be surprising what benefits a mix, sweeten the harmonic overtones. makes a good partner with ITB eq handling the surgical stuff.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I own a pair and I would call them indispensable.

I use them for adding size and depth to just about anything. They seem to change the sound of the instrument or vocal into something larger than the actual source. For instance, I find myself doing surprisingly large boosts at 500Hz with these things. I can’t think of another EQ I’d use to do that. And when I do, the sound jumps out of the speakers. Singers are suddenly standing in the room next to me.

The 511 is a magic tone shaper more than an EQ. That’s probably the best way to put it.
I second that emotion. I also own a pair and like to route tom's through them when tracking. I also like them on the guitar group when mixing. They simply add a thickness no matter what you run through them.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

I keep a pair in my mastering console... they come in very handy.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac
oops, I spaced out the OP question. tracking electric guitar is particularly great with this unit.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

wouldn't know i have the orig channel strips
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Q's

Quote:
This is how I feel about the original api 550 Non A eq's, they are magical sweeteners more than an eq, but an actual love booster.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search