The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM45 vs Footprints 01?.. and other Nearfields Studio Monitors
Old 19th February 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Speaking only from my own experience - I’ve done direct shootouts between ATC 20s and Barefoot 27s with multiple engineers. We all chose the ATCs hands down. Barefoots are fun if you want to rattle some windows but the ATC was a far more defined and transparent speaker.

Interestingly the bottom octave was better defined (although lower in level) on the ATC.
Old 19th February 2019
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Speaking only from my own experience - I’ve done direct shootouts between ATC 20s and Barefoot 27s with multiple engineers. We all chose the ATCs hands down. Barefoots are fun if you want to rattle some windows but the ATC was a far more defined and transparent speaker.

Interestingly the bottom octave was better defined (although lower in level) on the ATC.
I would say it was a property of the room. While SCM20 have exceptionally tight bass (but very light), mm27 bass is even tighter but much much more extended and prominent (flat down to 20Hz in a room).

I will not say ATCs are better than Barefoots or the other way around. They both expose different aspects and frequency ranges. ATCs apart from SCM20s are reflex port enclosures and their low end is not as fast and tight as Barefoot. In general ATCs are slower and smoother than Barefoots.

Barefoots are blazingly fast and punchy and have really one of a kind transient response. They are more forward sounding. I will say I prefer low end on Barefoots to ATCs (and basically to any other speaker I have heard so far). But ATCs definitely have softer, more "musical" midrange than Barefoots, they are more creamy and slightly "slower".

I really noticed that love for Barefoots has vanished on GS in the last few years, but on the other hand I have used them on quite a few occasions in the last few month and was thoroughtly impressed apart from some other speakers which enjoyed major hype over here. Despite the fact that I like SCM20s and have had them 5 years ago, I would choose Barefoots mm27 over them anytime if I had at least decent room.

One good thing about SCM20 is that they are bass light and by setting them close to the untreated front wall you'll receive a boundary bounce that will just even out their shy low end slightly. They are therefore less room dependant. So imagine them in a way like being high-resolution gentle sounding NS10s. Barefoots mm27 on the other hand are superextended extra punchy modern NS10s (especially the Gen1, Gen2 are slightly more refined).

Barefoots mm27 are more like american muscle car, ATCs are more like english classic cars, Kiis and D&Ds are like Teslas and Genelecs are like german workhorse cars. Now pick your own flavour
Old 9th March 2019
  #33
Gear Head
 

During the last two years I listened to almost everything <= 4,5K euros for pair in my room: Neumann, Genelec, Adam, Amphion, PSI, KS Digital, etc... you name it

Here are some suggestions:
  • I don't like Adam, but S3V is very nice.
  • PSI A17 has a very precise and relaxed sound. Liked it very much. Definitely a candidate to listen to.
  • I had Amphion One15 for over a year and like Two15 even more. Very nice small mixing monitor I understand very well. They are overhyped a bit imho.
  • I don't like Neumann KH120, but KH310 are very nice monitors and I almost bought them. However I would hate to produce on them. Additionally guitars sound quite strange on KH310 for me.
  • APS Aeon2 delivers quite a lot for the price!
  • BTW Genelec is not my cup of tea. I don't understand these monitors.

However, after a day with Footprints I directly knew I found my next monitors.
They give you fun during production, but still staying very precise and translating very-very good. They also work very well as nearfields.
After half a year I like them even more. Surprisingly I use "NS-10" mode more and more while mixing.

BUT
I strongly suggest to listen in your room with your ears and ideally work a couple of days with the monitors.
Old 9th March 2019
  #34
Gear Nut
 

I’m sure the OP has made a decision by now, but if not or for anyone else looking at this thread for info I was also liking into the same monitors. Before trying anything I called a good friend of mine that has used almost every model of Barefoots available and asked his opinion. He said that if I was wanting any sub bass reference than I would probably want a sub with them and that for not much more I should do the MM27s.
I tried the MM27s and at least for my room they are the best speakers I’ve heard!

Now notice I said “for my room” your room response might be different, I was fully prepared to return the Barefoots if I did not like them and I think you should try a few until you hear exactly what you want in the room. For me that was the MM27. For you it could be ATCs or something else!
Old 10th March 2019
  #35
Lives for gear
 

I am quite in the same boat.
Hesitating between kh310a which I already heard and which are really good , and the Hedd type 20 which I never heard but technically looks impressive.
Best translation is my goal
Cheers
Sergio

Last edited by sergioelectro; 11th March 2019 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10th March 2019
  #36
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustboy View Post
During the last two years I listened to almost everything <= 4,5K euros for pair in my room: Neumann, Genelec, Adam, Amphion, PSI, KS Digital, etc... you name it

Here are some suggestions:
  • I don't like Adam, but S3V is very nice.
  • PSI A17 has a very precise and relaxed sound. Liked it very much. Definitely a candidate to listen to.
  • I had Amphion One15 for over a year and like Two15 even more. Very nice small mixing monitor I understand very well. They are overhyped a bit imho.
  • I don't like Neumann KH120, but KH310 are very nice monitors and I almost bought them. However I would hate to produce on them. Additionally guitars sound quite strange on KH310 for me.
  • APS Aeon2 delivers quite a lot for the price!
  • BTW Genelec is not my cup of tea. I don't understand these monitors.

However, after a day with Footprints I directly knew I found my next monitors.
They give you fun during production, but still staying very precise and translating very-very good. They also work very well as nearfields.
After half a year I like them even more. Surprisingly I use "NS-10" mode more and more while mixing.

BUT
I strongly suggest to listen in your room with your ears and ideally work a couple of days with the monitors.
Did you get to try the HEDD Type 20 or Type 30?
Old 10th March 2019
  #37
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Did you get to try the HEDD Type 20 or Type 30?
Not in my room, but they didn't impressed me much. (Generally I don't like ribbon twitter... with maybe exception of Eve 408 and Adam S3V).
Old 10th March 2019
  #38
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustboy View Post
Not in my room, but they didn't impressed me much. (Generally I don't like ribbon twitter... with maybe exception of Eve 408 and Adam S3V).
Ok. Thanks for response.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump