The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Redd 47 or Retro Powerstrip Condenser Microphones
Old 1st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Chandler Redd 47 or Retro Powerstrip

Hi gearslutz community,
I am willing to purchase one of these preamps. I´m aiming towards a more colored sound. At the moment I have the 1073 DPA, LA610 (SE) , TRP and soon SMP-2 at my disposal. Actually I don´t really need a channel strip, because I always record w/o eq & comp. but the built in eq and comp from the powerstrip might get handy during mixing.
Some people here on gearslutz describe the Redd47 sound as big and 3D. The more 3Dness, the better.., thats what I want. And this 3Dness is something I could hear impressively on a compressor shootout from vintage king

Thats why I am going to buy the RS124 comp soon. My music style is very broad, from old school hiphop to pop and rock.

Anyone compared these two preamps? What are your impressions?

Thanks
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Maniac

any opinions?
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

I have the REDD.47 and the RS124 from Chandler - love them both. But I don't have the Powerstrip (or any Retro gear). Perhaps there are very few with both who can give you a fair comparison so your not getting a lot of posts here. I'm sure the Retro gear is great also.
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

I have 2 Retro Powerstrips and I bought them for the very reason that you cite—they are handy during mix down with the EQ and comps.

Well, I say they are. They are kind of a PITA because neither of the line level inputs works. I bought these used from two different sources, so there are only a couple of possibilities I can think of as to why:

1. There's something different about this unit that means that I can't just plug a line level source into the line level input and expect it to work like all my other rack gear (and yes, I know to select "line" on the front).

2. There's an incredible coincidence at work in which case both of my units that came from different sources have the same problem and neither was disclosed by the seller. Or they have a design flaw that makes that a common problem with these units.

In any case, I haven't had them long and have been just taking the signal down to mic level and running it through the mic input for mixing for a work-around until I find out what the deal is.

They sound great, which is the good news.

I haven't used the Chandler gear, although I will say that I have become a big fan of Chandler gear in general since I got a couple of the Zener limiters this summer. Now all I want for Christmas is a Curve Bender!

Addendum: Oh, one very cool feature of the Powerstrip is the HPF Sidechain. Makes a big difference in how it compresses, in a good way. Can make things big sounding.

Last edited by drpeacock; 10th October 2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

The Powerstrip and Redd are both big 3D sounds, but they have different tonalities / colors. Powerstrip is vanilla bean, Redd is rainbow sherbet. Powerstrip is more balanced, Redd is more forward.

But it sounds like you already know what you want.
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Maniac

thanks to all for chiming in. I guess I´ll get first the powerstrip and later the redd47. Pared with the LA610 SE Version I should get enough colored sounds to live a happy life but wait, API is something I also want to have. And the RS124 and Fearn VT5 are also on my list and waiting... patience is my biggest weakness
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear
I would look into a channel strip made by Chris at Hendyamps. His gear possesses a dangerous combination of 3dness, mojo, and clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
thanks to all for chiming in. I guess I´ll get first the powerstrip and later the redd47. Pared with the LA610 SE Version I should get enough colored sounds to live a happy life but wait, API is something I also want to have. And the RS124 and Fearn VT5 are also on my list and waiting... patience is my biggest weakness
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

The REDD's are very 3d. Use them almost everyday. They make my C12's jump out of the speakers when used on overheads. I honestly can't say I've ever owned or used a comparable pre to the REDD's. Highly recommend them and I dont think you'll be sorry, if you dont need the channel strip, then there is your answer.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Chandler gear just rules.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

I really like the Chandler TG Cassette, I'd definitely check it out and try to get your hands on one. Its definitely worth consideration

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TGCassette
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

That highland BG2 just killed all the rest of the compressors to me. Compressed while still sounding very big.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

The Tube-Tech CL 1B slayed everything else in that vocal shoot out
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I just posted my Redd in the classifieds. I have completed my TG channel strips and just cant afford to keep it for now. As soon as I'm able I will get one back. I think most would agree, its so good its just not fair to most other pres in the 'genre.' Pair it with a RS124 and its certain mayhem. Put a Pultec after the RS and kiss all other comparables goodbye. Heavy!
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
any opinions?
I had both.
the powerstrip is a versatile all rounder.the eq and comp are super nice.
the redd pre sonically is bigger sounding more 3-d.
the Redd pres on overheads are wonderful.I use my pair all the time.
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Addict

Have both. If I could only have one it would be the REDD. I like both, but the REDD gets used more. It's clearer and a little bit more dimensional, while the PS is a little softer and rounder. I think they compliment each other nicely - can't really lose either way
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had both.
the powerstrip is a versatile all rounder.the eq and comp are super nice.
the redd pre sonically is bigger sounding more 3-d.
the Redd pres on overheads are wonderful.I use my pair all the time.
Had? What is your favorite and most used pre now? Why did you let them go?
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Had? What is your favorite and most used pre now? Why did you let them go?
Using Redds,old neve,API,Capi, flickingers and old vertical dakings.
They’re all cool in different ways.
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
The Tube-Tech CL 1B slayed everything else in that vocal shoot out
TubeTech retained the most detail and dynamics but others had more vibe or apparent loudness. They all sounded great to my ears.
Old 13th October 2017
These days I prefer my Bae 1073 mpf over my Redd, with the Cl1b too.
Old 24th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
These days I prefer my Bae 1073 mpf over my Redd, with the Cl1b too.
I'm little baffled with Helloheads posts. In another post Hellohead dislikes Bae, and other 1073s, quote:

"I used to use 1073s all the time, neve, Bae, Ams neve, and yes, the Bae 1073 is really comparable to a well maintained neve 1073, but as much as I've used all of them, that kind of sound got tired quick to me."

And strongly favors REDD:

"I dislike mixing anything I've tracked with the bae. Mixing anything tracked with the REDD is a breeze, and it comes out huge. The REDD is the preamp that I trust in my studio to get things done."

And finally suggests to steer away from the original design towards more modern approach:

"My suggestion is, get the avedis MA5 or the Aurora GTQ2 for that specific sound, in my opinion, it's a considerable upgrade over the original 1073 design."

Go figure?
Old 24th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu2001 View Post
I'm little baffled with Helloheads posts. In another post Hellohead dislikes Bae, and other 1073s, quote:

"I used to use 1073s all the time, neve, Bae, Ams neve, and yes, the Bae 1073 is really comparable to a well maintained neve 1073, but as much as I've used all of them, that kind of sound got tired quick to me."

And strongly favors REDD:

"I dislike mixing anything I've tracked with the bae. Mixing anything tracked with the REDD is a breeze, and it comes out huge. The REDD is the preamp that I trust in my studio to get things done."

And finally suggests to steer away from the original design towards more modern approach:

"My suggestion is, get the avedis MA5 or the Aurora GTQ2 for that specific sound, in my opinion, it's a considerable upgrade over the original 1073 design."

Go figure?
I've been reconsidering the sound that I want out of the c800g, and I find the c800g pairs better with the darker and more mid heavy BAE. Because of that, I'm selling the REDD so I can get the REDD microphone, it wasn't out when I first bought the pre. My most successful track was recorded with the c800g and REDD but I am more comfortable mixing songs tracked with the BAE. I just didn't know how to use it properly. I really like the Manley Ref C with the REDD though. i just sing better through the BAE. The Redd is too top heavy for the c800g. Makes it harder to sing.

All in all, I've gotten better at mixing and the BAE gives me the sound I'm looking for. The REDD is really big but also bright, so you need a darker mic with it.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Got the power Powerstrip yesterday, what a nice piece of gear!! Tested it with electric five string bass guitar in conjunction with RNDI, its own DI and as as a mixing tool so far. this thing is a beast. I guess I'll buy a second Powerstrip, for stereo applications and mix bus duties.
The next days I'll try it with several mics on different sources ... gotta be fun
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Post #21 by heliohead brings to mind how situational everything is, and subjective.

For example, in 1978 the Api sound was used extensively here in the US. 2005 not nearly as loved. In part because in 1978, the gear was tracked to tape. A very good symbiotic relationship for Api. In 2005 many a studio had less than optimal digi conversion, not nearly as symbiotic with API as with Neve. So Neve got the big push (greatly deserved). If one has the state of the art converters, the less reliant they are on a Neve type curve, and the better the Api sound will ring true.

Just one example of how situational things get. Not to mention all the other obvious and less obvious examples. This is one reason I like to hear from Roundbadge, he has been in the game for quite a while, and he gets his hands on most the top shelf gear, so he can better discern than most.

Me, I am still a fan of Neve, Api, Telefunken V72 and 76 preamps. Although, too many engineers that I know have said the Chandler tube pre is a hit. I may need to a get pair.

PS. Is there a correlation tween guys being honest and super cool, and their gear being just flat out better than most? For example, Avedis and Wade come to mind.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
I've been reconsidering the sound that I want out of the c800g, and I find the c800g pairs better with the darker and more mid heavy BAE. Because of that, I'm selling the REDD so I can get the REDD microphone, it wasn't out when I first bought the pre. My most successful track was recorded with the c800g and REDD but I am more comfortable mixing songs tracked with the BAE. I just didn't know how to use it properly. I really like the Manley Ref C with the REDD though. i just sing better through the BAE. The Redd is too top heavy for the c800g. Makes it harder to sing.

All in all, I've gotten better at mixing and the BAE gives me the sound I'm looking for. The REDD is really big but also bright, so you need a darker mic with it.
I use the Redd preamps everyday next to vintage neves.dont have any current run BAE stuff.(I also use the Redd mic everyday.fantastic).
It’s all subjective but they’re not bright to me.the litmus test for me was overheads/cymbals/percussion.Use them a lot on overheads.
Imo very well balanced and yes big sounding.and the 3 D-ness depth.
The other ones that blow me away every day are the Coil Audio tube pres.
Funny I only use the tube stuff on overheads now.
first test I put a coil and neve on two Bock u99’s as mono overs..I was floored at how much more depth and size the coils had over the 1084’s.a genuine “f*ck me” moment.the coil dudes were with me and just laughed at my reaction when we switched back n forth.
So yeah the redds and coils get used more than my vintage 1084’s.Come to think of it I now actually do more minimal drum micing because of these.
I currently have absolutely zero desire to chase vintage tube pres ie v76’s,RCA etc

Last edited by RoundBadge; 19th March 2018 at 06:31 PM..
Old 19th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I use the Redd preamps everyday next to vintage neves.dont have any current run BAE stuff.(I also use the Redd mic everyday.fantastic).
It’s all subjective but they’re not bright to me.the litmus test for me was overheads/cymbals/percussion.Use them a lot on overheads.
Imo very well balanced and yes big sounding.and the 3 D-ness depth.
The other ones that blow me away every day are the Coil Audio tube pres.
Funny I only use the tube stuff on overheads now.
first test I put a coil and neve on two Bock u99’s as mono overs..I was floored at how much more depth and size the coils had over the 1084’s.a genuine “f*ck me” moment.the coil dudes were with me and just laughed at my reaction when we switched back n forth.
So yeah the redds and coils get used more than my vintage 1084’s.Come to think of it I now actually do more minimal drum micing because of these.
I currently have absolutely zero desire to chase vintage tube pres ie v76’s,RCA etc
Love to hear a little more about those Coil Audio pres. Are you working with the 286's or the 70's? (both?) Any thoughts on how they compare? Very sexy. If I had 3u available I'd be looking pretty hard at that PS2 chassis.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Love to hear a little more about those Coil Audio pres. Are you working with the 286's or the 70's? (both?) Any thoughts on how they compare? Very sexy. If I had 3u available I'd be looking pretty hard at that PS2 chassis.
theres also an affordable single ch version coming I think.finalizing psu's.
running 2 channels of each in the big chassis.the 286's are slightly more hi fi more headroom I guess. on acoustic guitars,electrics,strings and overheads.
the 70's are thicker and self compress a little.oh also amazing on overs.
running one into another is a blast.first thing I heard was a DI'd tele that way,screaming big n fat.
love chaining the redds too.also the redd mic into a redd pre hot is just flat out rad.
also this stuff is super cool for driving DI synths.feels like I got the american and british tube thing covered.
dont miss my v76's at all
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Who wouldn't want all of these?
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

ok, short update: the retro powerstrip is a beast. what a nice sound, eq and comp are excellent, the best preamp for vocals & rap in my collection for sure. Today I ordered the Chandler Redd47, so I can compare them intensively. As soon I can get a good singer to make a big shootout, I will post it here.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
ok, short update: the retro powerstrip is a beast. what a nice sound, eq and comp are excellent, the best preamp for vocals & rap in my collection for sure. Today I ordered the Chandler Redd47, so I can compare them intensively. As soon I can get a good singer to make a big shootout, I will post it here.
nice.let us know
I found the Redd for me was giving me a bigger bolder picture when just comparing the pre amp sections.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

ok, here are 4 mics with the retro powerstrip.

no eq, no compression, but some reverb.

the next days here will come another video, same 4 mics on the same track with the redd47.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search