The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC SCM10 Signature Edition, anyone?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ATC SCM10 Signature Edition, anyone?

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
He said he's not fond of Class D amps for distortion reasons. I wonder what he'd think of the Amphion amps?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Distortion???
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Desperately wanted a pair of these when they came out - such a gorgeous design...

I suspect you'd have issues with headroom if you wanted to use these in the studio. SCM7s (and the old SCM10) are stunningly refined, especially for such a small two-way speaker, but that's exactly what they are and there's no way a <5" driver is going to kick out enough bottom end to really feel what's going on without donking the voice coil.

Mind you though I do sometimes like to monitor fairly loud at certain points during a mix...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Distortion???
At the 3:27 mark in the video.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
He said he's not fond of Class D amps for distortion reasons. I wonder what he'd think of the Amphion amps?

I wonder what you'd think of a pair of Amphions with an ATC amp?
Brad
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
Has anyone listened to the ATC SCM10 Signature edition?

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/l...ature-edition/

Seems to be the greater achievement of ATC, or at least that's what ATC founder says:

Thanks
This SCM10SE speaker sounds very close to the SCM7 consumer speaker. SCM7's sound very much like the 20's, just not as loud. So for a very small bedroom system or small living room, they are awesome. I use them for surround channels at home.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Lunde; 2 weeks ago at 09:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
I wonder what you'd think of a pair of Amphions with an ATC amp?
Brad
Not sure. I have the Amphions here. If you want to send the ATC amp, I'm game

I've wondered how they would sound out a decent A/AB. Like the new Bryston cubed amp perhaps with their BP17 cubed.

What do ATC speakers users typically go with in hifi and pro? ATC actives or ATC passives with ATC amps? I'm guessing the first is the preferred.

Besides ATC active design and amps, I don't see much, if any, focus given to the ATC pre-amps.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This SC10SE speaker sounds very close to the SCM7 consumer speaker. SCM7's sound very much like the 20's, just not as loud. So for a very small bedroom system or small living room, they are awesome. I use them for surround channels at home.

Brad
Have you listened the SCM10 SE?

best
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
Not sure. I have the Amphions here. If you want to send the ATC amp, I'm game

I've wondered how they would sound out a decent A/AB. Like the new Bryston cubed amp perhaps with their BP17 cubed.

What do ATC speakers users typically go with in hifi and pro? ATC actives or ATC passives with ATC amps? I'm guessing the first is the preferred.

Besides ATC active design and amps, I don't see much, if any, focus given to the ATC pre-amps.
Sounds like you are talking from a hi fi perspective.

ATC active is always better than ATC passive with ATC amps. ATC amps are good, certainly on par with other large amplifiers like Bryston. They are not exotica, where you can find a class d that sounds amazing but costs 30K. ATC preamps (example, CA2) analog will run with the big boys in hi fi; ATC is an international exporter and in some countries having a matching system you know all sounds good together is a priority. A preamp with multiple unbalanced inputs is not useful in pro so there would be little discussion of it here.

Oh on the amp, in Canada call HHB and ask for an amp demo.

Brad
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
Have you listened the SCM10 SE?

best
No. We did not import any to the US. It was purely a high end hi fi speaker for the high end consumer crowd-no application in pro.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Lunde; 2 weeks ago at 09:58 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

No, but thanks for video link, I'd not seen it before, enjoyed seeing the old master talking about his creations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Sounds like you are talking from a hi fi perspective.

ATC active is always better than ATC passive with ATC amps. ATC amps are good, certainly on par with other large amplifiers like Bryston. They are not exotica, where you can find a class d that sounds amazing but costs 30K. ATC preamps (example, CA2) analog will run with the big boys in hi fi; ATC is an international exporter and in some countries having a matching system you know all sounds good together is a priority. A preamp with multiple unbalanced inputs is not useful in pro so there would be little discussion of it here.

Oh on the amp, in Canada call HHB and ask for an amp demo.

Brad
I'll go with active ATCs when the time comes.

I did find this comment about ATC's amp with Amphions:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12508744-post5132.html
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

seeing scm10se like a scm7 with polish is a mistake

scm10se is a very different kind of animal. Better high-freq driver than scm7 with larger magnets, different crossover, different materials, and not to mention the luxury casing. I guess mr. Woodman put his signature on scm10se to make a statement.
Now, listening: an acquintace of mine named scm10se "very clever speakers"; I asked what he meant by those words. He replied that the sound is unforced, silky, yet spacious, complete, detailed, seeming forgiving, yet extremely detailed - a paradox, he said. The only thing missing was the grand bass, spatial, gutty low bass. SCM10SE delivers a quick and deep bass (linear down to 50Hz), lower than SCM20SE (I had those, too; had many brands before, like Raidho, Dynaudio, Spendor, Harbeth, Elac, than SCM11, than 19, than 20, than 10SE, and stopped). Oddly, SCM10SE sounds better than SCM20SL, and seems to get as low as 20s. Only the scale of bass is narrower, but in small room (up to 15 sqm) the 10s are perfect. Just to emphasize the lower bass lines, I intend to acquire a pair of powered subwoofers (closed box, of course); not for the noise, but for the impact.
Every musical genre is faithfully displayed by SCM10SE, everything is there, even the lowest bass, but in small audible amount.
Bref: SCM10SE is truly a gem. But,
10s require truly a vast amount of power AND current. I have ATC P2 (2x300w/8ohm), and it seems to ask for more. Also, 10s require the best behind them: cables, sources, preamplifier, amplifier have to be exquisite, in order to enjoy the quality of the sounds that can be heard through SCM10SE.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saureign View Post
scm10se is a very different kind of animal. Better high-freq driver than scm7 with larger magnets, different crossover,
Same crossover at 2.5kHz for both SCM7 and SCM10SE
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Same crossover at 2.5kHz for both SCM7 and SCM10SE
May be different components, quality-wise

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search