The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Same compressor/settings on every channel? Tree audio Roots console
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Head

Same compressor/settings on every channel? Tree audio Roots console

I'm very happy that my business partner and I are going to be picking up a 16 channel Tree Audio Roots Console!!

My question is about the opto compressor on every channel. We will be selling a lot of compressors to pay for this board and I'm wondering... Is it gonna sound weird if I'm using pretty much the exact same compressor on almost every channel? (That needs compression)

We will still have some 1176s/ distressors/ and Neve MBP/ hopefully dual vandergraph

The compressor has received rave reviews but has no attack release or ratio settings. I do believe it is program dependent.

I will most likely use the comps on drum overheads/ drum buss/ acoustic instruments/ vocals/ and bass.

Do you think we should give em a shot on close drum mics too?

Thank you
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

If anything having the same compressor on each channel of your Tree Audio console will help glue everything together. But that's in regard to a high end company's compressor. I wouldn't necessarily use the same compressor on every track with a below average compressor.
I personally would welcome a compressor with no independent settings. Let me concentrate on other maters. My goal is to use little or no EQ or compression if possible while tracking. Snare hitting the red? Turn the preamp down. Guitar track a little dull? Check the amp settings and guitar settings and then look at your mic placement. Chances are you can fix it with placement. And with all the crazy cool phase scopes in plug in land today, you have complete control of every mic you record in relation to all the other mics. Take a look at any of the super 70's big name consoles. Almost all had a phase scope.

Pat
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search