The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Console 4000 E/G+ Or 9000J, or Bunch of Outboard Gear for Hybrid Mixing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeenajro View Post
I thought so, and I've read that the console maintenance is not as much as people make it seem to be, the person who's offering me the SSL 4064 E/G+ shared with me he doesn't spend much on the bill, and he turns off the console every night without issues, and I must say his console is in very good shape from what I was able to see and hear. but you guys are right... I'd miss my outboard gear, but that's where I think plugins can aid a bit.

I'm also looking at it as a business stand point, I know the console would draw in more clients and raise my prices due to pedigree of owning a console and I'd slowly build back the outboard gear collection again, but I can't help to wonder... so many consoles at "great deals" now.. makes me think maybe they're becoming a thing of the past... so you guys say stay hybrid? forget the console?
I do studio tech work, mostly on SSL installs and service. Turning them off and on will not save you any money in the long run, it may cost you more. The analogy we always give is that a lightbulb usually blows when you first turn it on. The console remaining on will cost more in electrical, but there is less stress on the electronics staying on than power cycling them.

Having an actual physical console is far more impressive to the average person (your clients) than having a bunch of rack gear. People have an idea what a recording studio looks like, and that image revolves around a recording console. It may be fun to have a bunch of different toys, but why when you can have those same tools on every channel? Like you said, you want to add some flare here and there it will be much easier to do so down the line than the other way around.

The thing I would recommend is having an experienced tech check out your console before you purchase it. A console report could save you a lot of money in tech work afterwards by avoiding someone else's headache. I have seen a few consoles delivered to studios that require a full recap because someone decided it did not need AC and left it cooking all the time, or just worked around all the accumulating faults for years. They may not have noticed the issues, because maybe they don't use anything but two faders. Just saying. My vote is for a large console if it is in the budget.
Old 1 week ago
Some good real world info there. It certainly CAN be done - you do slightly gloss over the aircon which may or may not be a big issue depending on your personal circumstances - an air conditioned closet is not common as far as I’m aware, and let’s remember the OP is early 20s - to be honest the issue of where the console would go has not been mentioned!

My advice to the OP hinges on 2 things - firstly he’s never even used an SSL it seems so doesn’t necessarily have the hardware focus many do, and secondly his ambitions professionally - you don’t mention if you work commercially mixing for others, but most engineers who do are moving in the opposite direction for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Sound View Post
Just for the record I own my ssl 4048g+ se for 3 years. Two years original psu ( never down once) 1 year with atomic. Down once.

There has never been a problem that has stopped me from working.
Basic maintenance I do and I’m boarderline ******** with a soldering iron.
My power bill isn’t 1k a month like some of the key board cowboys say.

A matter of fact in a home Studio
4 bedrooms house
Central ac for three floors
Two seperate ac units one for the mixroom the other “big word” machine room, Or as I like to call it the closet.

Racks of gear on 24 hours a day. Wife who shuts nothing off.
My bill with the atomic never goes over 500 and I’m in NY

I’m also replacing the original computer the end of this month with a THD labs modern day automation system that looks pretty slamming. That should lower my electric more and take care of some of the typical issues using old computer technology such as an ssl computer.

I would recommend you find a place that has a console your looking for give yourself an slotted time frame with neat clean tracks and mix yourself a session. Then do the same ITB in the same Studio with the same time frame. . Then you make the call as far as sound is concerned. My issues with recall the few they were will be handled by the new automation system.

When I shopped and was in the decision making process I was very worried. Tons of opionions by a lot of people who probably couldn’t turn a console on. Some of the pros on here have there reasons and there valid but I would be very careful on who you speak too. I was so worried and after I pulled the trigger 90 percent of what i heard was garbage. The other ten percent I worked around and it make me a better mixer because of it.

If you move forward my recomendations.

1. Get a good tech to look over the board get a full report.
2. Make sure you do your diligence with planning

If you some concerns you can pm

I’m not a wizard just a guitar player who knows what he likes when he turns some knobs
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Sound View Post
Just for the record I own my ssl 4048g+ se for 3 years. Two years original psu ( never down once) 1 year with atomic. Down once.

There has never been a problem that has stopped me from working.
Basic maintenance I do and I’m boarderline ******** with a soldering iron.
My power bill isn’t 1k a month like some of the key board cowboys say.

A matter of fact in a home Studio
4 bedrooms house
Central ac for three floors
Two seperate ac units one for the mixroom the other “big word” machine room, Or as I like to call it the closet.

Racks of gear on 24 hours a day. Wife who shuts nothing off.
My bill with the atomic never goes over 500 and I’m in NY

I’m also replacing the original computer the end of this month with a THD labs modern day automation system that looks pretty slamming. That should lower my electric more and take care of some of the typical issues using old computer technology such as an ssl computer.

I would recommend you find a place that has a console your looking for give yourself an slotted time frame with neat clean tracks and mix yourself a session. Then do the same ITB in the same Studio with the same time frame. . Then you make the call as far as sound is concerned. My issues with recall the few they were will be handled by the new automation system.

When I shopped and was in the decision making process I was very worried. Tons of opionions by a lot of people who probably couldn’t turn a console on. Some of the pros on here have there reasons and there valid but I would be very careful on who you speak too. I was so worried and after I pulled the trigger 90 percent of what i heard was garbage. The other ten percent I worked around and it make me a better mixer because of it.

If you move forward my recomendations.

1. Get a good tech to look over the board get a full report.
2. Make sure you do your diligence with planning

If you some concerns you can pm

I’m not a wizard just a guitar player who knows what he likes when he turns some knobs

Coooool! thanks for the advice and sharing !

mind sharing some pictures of your desk in your bedroom studio?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Some good real world info there. It certainly CAN be done - you do slightly gloss over the aircon which may or may not be a big issue depending on your personal circumstances - an air conditioned closet is not common as far as I’m aware, and let’s remember the OP is early 20s - to be honest the issue of where the console would go has not been mentioned!

My advice to the OP hinges on 2 things - firstly he’s never even used an SSL it seems so doesn’t necessarily have the hardware focus many do, and secondly his ambitions professionally - you don’t mention if you work commercially mixing for others, but most engineers who do are moving in the opposite direction for good reason.
yes the console would go in my home built studio in my garage... it's pretty professional and nice sounding, I'd have a few hardware pieces, but not a lot, maybe a BAE 1073 with EQ, a Tube Tech CL 1B, and some warm audio stuff WA76, and WA Pultec. the rest would be the desk.. and if I need more processing, plugins.. which I have many of.

I'm "commercial" I have a few people who come in to record, mix and master, my clientele is growing, and I just want to provide the best of the best quality of SOUND, because that's what we sell, well that and skills and style.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
yes the console would go in my home built studio in my garage... it's pretty professional and nice sounding, I'd have a few hardware pieces, but not a lot, maybe a BAE 1073 with EQ, a Tube Tech CL 1B, and some warm audio stuff WA76, and WA Pultec. the rest would be the desk.. and if I need more processing, plugins.. which I have many of.

I'm "commercial" I have a few people who come in to record, mix and master, my clientele is growing, and I just want to provide the best of the best quality of SOUND, because that's what we sell, well that and skills and style.
If you did take the desk option, you'd probably want to add a decent rack of outboard FX too - again which can be had relatively cheaply, again for good reason! It's hard to service some components (although not all).

I still don't think it's a good idea - financially it's definitely NOT an investment, BUT if it were to make it's money back over a few years it might be worthwhile. 35k is a lot in any currency though - and that really is the starting point, not the final figure. If you can't charge upwards of $500/day for the room alone (ie not including your services), you're not going to make your money back on it, and it becomes a vanity purchase, not a business one. You might be selling "sound" but you don't want to be effectively giving it away.

Mixing commercially, especially remotely, on a console is becoming unrealistic for most - which is why (as I've mentioned) even the top guys are moving away from it, either by losing the console entirely or by using it as a summing console and keeping most things recallable ITB or on fixed hardware chains. Even with attended mix sessions - is your time better spent finessing the mix, or spending an hour recalling the desk for a minor tweak the client took a week to get back to you about?

(I should also say that I don't think recalls can be done well from stems - some tweaks can be done with well thought out stems, some can't - by the time you've printed detailed enough stems to be able to recall, you might as well have reset the desk properly!).

It's also not a smart idea to put a big console in a room aimed (in part at least) at mastering..but that's another issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm going through this exact process now.

Booking sessions on the consoles I'm considering, using a few specific mix sessions of different genres.

In some cases I bring my own rig in if the ADDA are sub par
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

I still don't think it's a good idea - financially it's definitely NOT an investment, BUT if it were to make it's money back over a few years it might be worthwhile. 35k is a lot in any currency though - and that really is the starting point, not the final figure. If you can't charge upwards of $500/day for the room alone (ie not including your services), you're not going to make your money back on it, and it becomes a vanity purchase, not a business one. You might be selling "sound" but you don't want to be effectively giving it away.
I know of a studio that purchased a Duality and although the studio raised it's rates it wasn't near enough to cover the actual purchase. And that is how it is these days, you make highend gear purchases for your own sake, not for the clients. I know im operating at a low tier level but the bands we see through doesn't care about gear. If i put up a neumann km84 or a Oktava, who cares.

The rates between a mid level studio in Sweden, who have good pre's, mic's etc say gear for 30-50k, and good mid-sized rooms isn't far from charging the same rates as the few studios left in Sweden with high end consoles.

Studio Bohus, with a Neve 88 all the highend mic's you wanted charged like 370$/day before the closed down. Another one was IF Studios with an SSL and 120m2 live room, charged in at 300$/day. Both are now closed.

It's all about the producers name and fame, that is the one factor that will get you clients. My point is be smart spending your money, think it through.

Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post

It's all about the producers name and fame, that is the one factor that will get you clients. My point is be smart spending your money, think it through.

Good luck!

I've said it twice already and I can't reiterate this point enough. One's reputation is what brings in the big jobs. Nothing else IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I've said it twice already and I can't reiterate this point enough. One's reputation is what brings in the big jobs. Nothing else IMHO.
Oh? I always thought it was the pinball machine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good Luck!!

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I could get you in touch with a few people who don't want to be dealing with such things ever again.

AT ALL!!

Attached Thumbnails
SSL Console 4000 E/G+ Or 9000J, or Bunch of Outboard Gear for Hybrid Mixing-bigmess.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Good Luck!!

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I could get you in touch with a few people who don't want to be dealing with such things ever again.

AT ALL!!

I bet if they treated it like this, blow this PSU out once in a while wtf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight View Post
Can't fight technology.

Audio software is exponentially improving sonically.

Analog hardware with all its wonderful capacitor/phase mojo that can be mimicked by software is not.

And to the old school guys who think Taylor Swift & Co. music won't survive the test of time; you're probably wrong; it's the nature of popular culture for better or worse.

Unfortunately the music that I listen to made by kids in the ghetto glorifying urban American street life will probably not survive the "test of time" even when they got 6 million YouTube views in one week......
I have to agree with you.. Life does not go backwards.. Yes even though my brothers daughter asked me why is taylor swift 1st album vocal is so harsh .. it has become the norm..

I own a major facility www.MPSRecording.com and use to wrestle with this from time to time. I can accept the modern methods. I just happen to love quality Hi FI audio. But also there is value to being completely different.. I was never one to follow the crowds..

Respectfully its so easy to convert.. mix in the computer and make life easy.. wow really easy .. I think everyone has to follow there own passion or love for there energy to stay alive!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
I have to agree with you.. Life does not go backwards.. Yes even though my brothers daughter asked me why is taylor swift 1st album vocal is so harsh .. it has become the norm..

I own a major facility www.MPSRecording.com and use to wrestle with this from time to time. I can accept the modern methods. I just happen to love quality Hi FI audio. But also there is value to being completely different.. I was never one to follow the crowds..

Respectfully its so easy to convert.. mix in the computer and make life easy.. wow really easy .. I think everyone has to follow there own passion or love for there energy to stay alive!
But I also have a little different philosophy. I believe clients would be interested in paying for better quality if they made more money on there music sales.. Of course we all don't know if this will happen anytime soon.. But one thing I do know for sure, when you make a lot of money in your business, you usually don't want to make your own food..or drive a cheap car, or live in a bad area... sort of speak..

I know a few major artists, installing classic consoles in there private studios, I cannot mention names.. they know the ITB is NOT the best sound.. These are some heavy current hitters.. Which goes with my philosophy .. who would eat at White Castle if you were rich?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd strongly recommend the OP actually spend some time mixing on a console before deciding on one. How does he know he'd prefer an SSL to a vintage Neve/API etc..? How does he know he'd fare better on a console than itb?

There's no way I'd recommend buying a console to someone who hasn't used one. It's an expensive/detailed endeavor. It's not something to do on the fly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I know of a studio that purchased a Duality and although the studio raised it's rates it wasn't near enough to cover the actual purchase. And that is how it is these days, you make highend gear purchases for your own sake, not for the clients. I know im operating at a low tier level but the bands we see through doesn't care about gear. If i put up a neumann km84 or a Oktava, who cares.

The rates between a mid level studio in Sweden, who have good pre's, mic's etc say gear for 30-50k, and good mid-sized rooms isn't far from charging the same rates as the few studios left in Sweden with high end consoles.

Studio Bohus, with a Neve 88 all the highend mic's you wanted charged like 370$/day before the closed down. Another one was IF Studios with an SSL and 120m2 live room, charged in at 300$/day. Both are now closed.

Good luck!
About a year ago, I did a cost/benefit analysis for a friend who had an investor, who was looking to buy a Duality/outboard gear. The guy already has a personal Protools TDM rig with outboard in his personal rig. I asked how much he thought he could charge for his personal rig vs the studio he was planning on building. When I broke the numbers down, he was going to spend a few hundred K's to make an additional $30/hr.
Despite what the numbers said, he still argued for why it would be a good move.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First, ok its expensive, but so is a new car, rolling out from the store... price on second hand is cut in half, ppl do this crazy stuff every day... THAT is crazy

In comparission, buying an SSL 4000 for 35$, not so crazy

If it fuels passion and makes better mixes to who uses it, and you can afford it, wtf is the problem?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you're tracking acoustic instruments and vocals in your studio the first thing to address is the acoustics.

After that start at the top of the signal chain. Microphones.
If I was looking for an improvement in quality this is where i would start. If you don't have at least a U87, a Km84, an SM7 and a 121 or equivalent plugged into very good mic pres like a 1073 then I don't see how an old SSL console is going to help improve your sonics

After putting together a competent mic and mic pre cabinet I would look at a couple of good hardware compressors (CL1b, LA2a etc) to optimize the levels to "tape"

Everything beyond this point afaic can be handled more than adequately itb. I'm still surprised at how good plugins like the UAD massive passive is.

If you really want to capture more analog feel especially while your mixing down then a real nice summing mixer would be a good addition. I Loved the Great River MixMaster 20. It's an outstanding box that imparts some of that big iron feel.

The nice thing about about buying used U87s U67s 1073s etc is that if you buy smart and things don't work out you'll more than likely get your money out rather quickly. If you don't like your SSL good luck trying to arrange a sale

If however you are so used to mixing on an SSL and you also have a great sounding room, a big mic cab, loads of outboard and need a place to rest your Larc then buying one might be a reasonable purchase. If this does apply to you I think you are on your way toward a very expensive not to mention possibly frustrating lesson. There's a reason why vintage mics have gone through the roof while with rare exceptions vintage desks have plummeted. Don't chase a false bargain.

Quote:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
There's a reason why vintage mics have gone through the roof while with rare exceptions vintage desks have plummeted. Don't chase a false bargain.
So how much is an SSL these days? idk, we bought our 4056 for 30k euros many years ago
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
So how much is an SSL these days? idk, we bought our 4056 for 30k euros many years ago
Ranging from like 20-45k in Sweden. (De 3 senaste på vend.se har legat på 200-350k)The price is dropping, a good late 90's G+ is still pretty expensive but like i wrote before that is what you should buy.

I agree from abow posters, vintage mic's and preamps are still a good investment and will sell easy, atleast the well-known ones. A well filled hybrid desk, Sterling modular/Custom design etc will still impress people, prob as much as an ssl desk.

It's all about presenting yourself in a profesional manner, acousticly designed space, nice interior and ofc be good at what you do! Im still baffled sometimes when i see allot of highend gear and those ugly black cheap reflectors. Having like 50-100k invested in gear and not even 10k on doing the acoustics, whyyy!!!??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight View Post
Can't fight technology.

Audio software is exponentially improving sonically.

Analog hardware with all its wonderful capacitor/phase mojo that can be mimicked by software is not.

And to the old school guys who think Taylor Swift & Co. music won't survive the test of time; you're probably wrong; it's the nature of popular culture for better or worse (isn't that why people all fuzzy & over sentimental about Public Enemy??????)

Unfortunately the music that I listen to made by kids in the ghetto glorifying urban American street life will probably not survive the "test of time" even when they got 6 million YouTube views in one week.

I got a a hunch that that track it was not mixed on an SSL, API or a neve......
It's precisely because of technology that we're having this discussion, if there was no DAW, there'd be no $30k SSL. The industry chose recall as a sonic comprimise, because the nature of what we all do for a check shifted. This biz ain't what it used to be.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I do have a u87 ai... I'd have a few staple outboard pieces obviously, but I wouldn't have a lot of options... u87 ai, 1073 BAE 19" rack with EQ pre, CL 1B, LA-2A, Distressor EL8X, pair of Warm audio 1176, pair of Warm Audio pultec EQPA1, and I wanted to add the console or add more outboard flavours
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I do have a u87 ai... I'd have a few staple outboard pieces obviously, but I wouldn't have a lot of options... u87 ai, 1073 BAE 19" rack with EQ pre, CL 1B, LA-2A, Distressor EL8X, pair of Warm audio 1176, pair of Warm Audio pultec EQPA1, and I wanted to add the console or add more outboard flavours
Get a nice mic collection, a few hw eq for tracking. Get it second hand and you will be able to sell it off later with little or no loss.

30k will get you a nice modern highend studio and since you already got some nice hw pieces you will have everything covered spending half of wht that console will cost you.

Maybe a sidecar would be an option?

Otherwise 1 great vocal mic. Neumann u67?
Doing drums? Neumann km84, coles etc

If you already have nice rooms great! If not design them properly.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
First, ok its expensive, but so is a new car, rolling out from the store... price on second hand is cut in half, ppl do this crazy stuff every day... THAT is crazy

In comparission, buying an SSL 4000 for 35$, not so crazy

If it fuels passion and makes better mixes to who uses it, and you can afford it, wtf is the problem?
A new car is not necessarily a business decision. You don't buy a new car expecting to make money on it or sell it for a profit.

A new car is a status symbol for some, for a company it means warranties and reliability.

A 25-30 year old desk is none of these things.

Fuels passion - yes, inspiration would be a good thing.

"makes better mixes" - well, the OP has never even mixed on a desk. They may hate it; chances are there'll be aspects of their work which will go downhill, at least temporarily whilst they adjust.

can afford it - well, the OP's already said they'd need to sell gear to afford it, which doesn't bode well for the commissioning or the aircon for the machine room - servicing and running costs aside.

Other downsides - speed, recalls, Flexibility. With ITB or hybrid, you can generally fill up more time with more work. I rarely spend whole days doing a mix start to finish, I'll usually get a rough going, and refine it over another session or two, and then do a recall once I've lived with it for a few days. If you have to start a mix, and finish it before moving on - you'll limit your flexibility and as well as the purchase and installation cost, your speed (and thus hourly rate) could actually decrease!

(or of course you might find you mix quicker - I don't but others might).

Whether it's a bad idea for any given potential purchaser is open to debate, and their personal circumstance. For the OP, it's a very bad idea - again given his requirements, finances and experience. IMO.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A new car is not necessarily a business decision. You don't buy a new car expecting to make money on it or sell it for a profit.

A new car is a status symbol for some, for a company it means warranties and reliability.

"makes better mixes" - well, the OP has never even mixed on a desk. They may hate it; chances are there'll be aspects of their work which will go downhill, at least temporarily whilst they adjust.

can afford it - well, the OP's already said they'd need to sell gear to afford it, which doesn't bode well for the commissioning or the aircon for the machine room - servicing and running costs aside.

Other downsides - speed, recalls, Flexibility. With ITB or hybrid, you can generally fill up more time with more work. I rarely spend whole days doing a mix start to finish, I'll usually get a rough going, and refine it over another session or two, and then do a recall once I've lived with it for a few days. If you have to start a mix, and finish it before moving on - you'll limit your flexibility and as well as the purchase and installation cost, your speed (and thus hourly rate) could actually decrease!

Whether it's a bad idea for any given potential purchaser is open to debate, and their personal circumstance. For the OP, it's a very bad idea - again given his requirements, finances and experience. IMO.
ok
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Appreciate the advice and experience on the matter
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate the advice and experience on the matter
Even though Psycho Monkey is giving you good advice (much of which I agree with by the way, so no disrespect intended) I say don't let it stop you from getting a console if it brings you joy! Go test drive one and see if you vibe with it. I'm seriously regretting selling mine a couple years ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I second Psycho's advice, given the info you have provided it doesn't make sense to buy a $30k SSL desk at this time. The obvious reason is budget and your usage needs. Remember it's not just the desk costs but you will need an interface(s) to handle the larger track count as well as one channel of conversion for each channel you are running from the DAW to the desk for mixing. Add in patchbays / cabling / etc. and that will get you closer to what the real cost is going to be.

The biggest downsides of analog desks are some recall and space they take up. While recall might not be any concern to you, just how big is your garage control room? The other downside of spending $30k on ANY Studio purchase is if you are going to make your money back somehow. The good news on many used analog desk purchases is that they have been fully depreciated and likely will retain their 5% to 15% of original price you paid for them well into the future (some may even go up a bit if any market for those sonics take hold in the future).

Now given your needs and budget you may consider other desk options that will be much more budget friendly yet still get you to the different sonics / workflow you seek. Some of my personal used favorites are the AMR 1600 or 2400 (under $2.5k) the D&R's (under $3k) and the Neoteks (under $8k). Of course there is a much larger list of lower budget used nice desks to read up on in our many old threads here on the subject.

As for outboard, you can get some great budget friendly key pcs. regardless of whether you grab a desk or not. Just remember there is no one "magic box" that does it all.

So as others have said, this looks like for you it's better to get your toes wet and have a better plan (read up on and/or audition - try out mixers / outboard before buying anything then refine your plans).
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Even though Psycho Monkey is giving you good advice (much of which I agree with by the way, so no disrespect intended) I say don't let it stop you from getting a console if it brings you joy! Go test drive one and see if you vibe with it. I'm seriously regretting selling mine a couple years ago.
I’d actually say I’m not saying don’t get one - I’m saying make very certain you want one, can afford this one and have thought everything through before doing so!

And also that it’s NOT an investment - it’s a want not a need (certainly a 35k ssl).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d actually say I’m not saying don’t get one - I’m saying make very certain you want one, can afford this one and have thought everything through before doing so!

And also that it’s NOT an investment - it’s a want not a need (certainly a 35k ssl).

Agreed. Thanks for clarifying. There are some really cool consoles out there for way less than 35k. If I were in the market I'd jump on something like this Wheatstone (for $5K) or this Soundtracs IL-3632 (for $3.5K) without hesitation! Have the power supply rebuilt and you're flying. Big Soundtracs fan here myself. Fantastic pres and EQ's in their upper tier products.

https://reverb.com/item/1735411-vint...tstone-tv-1000

https://reverb.com/item/6357709-soun...charcoal-black
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
yeah man you're right I'm going to lock myself and mix some of my due projects in a room with one, they're just so look cool, let alone sound great
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search