The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's needed to build a 4-6 channel high-end console / mixing desk Studio Headphones
Old 26th September 2017
Here for the gear

What's needed to build a 4-6 channel high-end console / mixing desk

Hi Gearslutz
Hope you can help.

I've been watching an interview with Luca Pretolesi who does a lot of mixing and mastering of dance music (major lazor, etc).

He has this small 4-channel console which he uses to EQ and saturate drum stems.
The console is built using a 4-channel sidecar from an old Rasma 1978 console.
Apparently, Nirvana's first album was mixed on it.

My question is...
If you only had a few individual channel strips from any old console, how
would you go about turning it into a standalone desk like what Luca has in his studio?
He mentions adding a power supply of course...what else would one need?
Any diy schematics anyone can share or just a general list of "here's what you'll need"?

I like the idea of sourcing a few channel strips from an old console and turning it into a small desk through which I can run my digital synths and other stems, to get a bit of an analogue vibe.

Picture attached.
Also, here is an interview where Luca talks about the desk at 8 minute mark:
https://youtu.be/RKhUs2wxuE4?t=7m52s

cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
What's needed to build a 4-6 channel high-end console / mixing desk-luca-pretolesi-4-channel-console.jpg  
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Just to be clear, it isn't a standalone desk, it is simply a housing containing 4 channels providing power and audio connections.
Old 27th September 2017
Here for the gear

Exactly.
If I have a mixer channel strip or two...what else do I need to make it receive, process and send audio?
- Power supply
- Audio connectivity

Does anyone has a clue how to connect a power supply and input/output sockets?

thanks
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear
crackercracker.blogspot.com/2010/01/racking-up-modular-console-preamps-diy.html?m=1
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Connect them to a summing mixer?
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Channel strips tend to have differing connector types on their backplane that would connect to a motherboard in the original console.

This means that there is not a one size fits all solution.

You would need to decide on the type of strips you want ( what model desk )
then purchase them, then build a proper power supply and rack to house them.

This is not exactly an easy project for a beginner - much simpler to have a Tech build you a solution, or at the very least, spec the power supply and appropriate wiring scheme.

Its not rocket science but it is easy to mess it up.

Personally I'd look at companies like funky junk UK or vintage king US to get some ballpark ideas.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizu View Post
Hi Gearslutz
Hope you can help.

I've been watching an interview with Luca Pretolesi who does a lot of mixing and mastering of dance music (major lazor, etc).

He has this small 4-channel console which he uses to EQ and saturate drum stems.
The console is built using a 4-channel sidecar from an old Rasma 1978 console.
Apparently, Nirvana's first album was mixed on it.

My question is...
If you only had a few individual channel strips from any old console, how
would you go about turning it into a standalone desk like what Luca has in his studio?
He mentions adding a power supply of course...what else would one need?
Any diy schematics anyone can share or just a general list of "here's what you'll need"?

I like the idea of sourcing a few channel strips from an old console and turning it into a small desk through which I can run my digital synths and other stems, to get a bit of an analogue vibe.

Picture attached.
Also, here is an interview where Luca talks about the desk at 8 minute mark:
https://youtu.be/RKhUs2wxuE4?t=7m52s

cheers!
to piggyback on dannymac .. you need to pick your channel strips then find a tech that can tell you / or make you the power supply, and edge connector (depending on type of channel) for all the connections .. or find the schematics and make it yourself - if you have those skills .. !!!

do you have any particular channel strips in mind ??
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

I just built one. 4 channels from a Ramsa WR- T820b recapped, custom wood box and power supply.
Let me know if you want one.

Thanks, Mike Binder
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search