The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux Equalux vs Sontec 250EX
Old 23rd September 2017
Tonelux Equalux vs Sontec 250EX

Wondering if anyone who has experience with these can compare them.

I've had a Tonelux Equalux on the 2bus for many years. The chain these days is typically: Passive sum>Pacifica>Tonelux>BAE10DC

I work on a fairly wide range of material here, but have focused my front-end + 2-bus choices to suit a 70s rock-folk-kraut aesthetic.

The Equalux has been a solid, effortless performer for shaping and occasional fixes. I like it a lot. While not sterile, it is fairly smooth and transparent, which is good a lot of times. But I think lacks a little excitement and oomph possible for this role. The shelves often don't knock me out.

But I'm not experienced with a lot of great EQs.

Recently Sontec has come on the radar. Where the Curvebender has been out of reach, this one could be obtanium. Perhaps even a better match for my already colorful rig.

Would the Sontec be a worthy upgrade? Can it cover Equalux territory and add another dimension of euphonic muscle?

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2017
bump. anyone who can compare these EQs?
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Guru

One of them is made by a guy with a long term reputation of not only great sounding gear, but availability should you need service or have questions. The other is a Sontec.
Old 4th October 2017
Lives for gear

Sontecs can get replacements and onwards connections DOA.

Perhaps try a gml 8200 or cranesong ibis if you're after a fully parametric that's sounds ace and is more repairable.

I love my 8200

Wiggy
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

A GML or IBIS are great EQs but a Sontec they are not.

As regard to the ToneLux - no idea, but I've just put it on my shopping list - love how much the bands overlap.
Old 7th October 2017
Thanks for the comments! Still would love an *sonic* comparison if anyone can make one. Maybe DannyMac will get a Tonelux soon, just to help me out The few examples I've found online of the Sontec impressed me as powerful, sweet and musical. I've heard that new Sontecs are better than they were re: reliability. But sure don't need any high maintenance gear.
Old 7th October 2017
I think the best deal ATM is the Avalon 2055. Sounds beautiful.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hard to find tho!

Never used one and Kinda rare SH.. Is the tone similar to the 747 albeit not a graphic like that.

I do like my 747
Old 7th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Hard to find tho!

Never used one and Kinda rare SH.. Is the tone similar to the 747 albeit not a graphic like that.

I do like my 747
They're 1800 ex demo right now as they've been discontinued. Sold my GML when I got mine. Better sound and build. Reverb has one. Nothing like the cheaper Avalon gear. Something else.
Old 7th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
One of them is made by a guy with a long term reputation of not only great sounding gear, but availability should you need service or have questions. The other is a Sontec.
Ha Ha, I wouldn't rely on either.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Ha Ha, I wouldn't rely on either.
Really...?

I thought Paul Wolff had a pretty good reputation.
Old 7th October 2017
Quote:
Really...?

I thought Paul Wolff had a pretty good reputation.
Yes but he sold up and jumped ship. It's now owned Alan Hyatt.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes but he sold up and jumped ship. It's now owned Alan Hyatt.
I didn't even realize that.
Old 7th October 2017
Quote:
I didn't even realize that.
Yeah it's a shame to see what could have been a great brand go down the toilet.

Old 9th October 2017
Quote:
I think the best deal ATM is the Avalon 2055. Sounds beautiful.
Interesting, this one was not on my radar. I found a nice clip of it. Seemed to have some of the Avalon hi-fi sound, the high end lift was very nice.

On the flip side, I'm also mulling equalux+electrodyne 2511 vs sontec. thinking the 2511 would have some tracking application . . .

my equalux was purchased right as PMI was buying tonelux. the timing of my order from Mercenary was such that the order was lost in the shuffle. Eventually I got a call from one of the Hyatts and they gave me a deal on a unit that Paul worked on and he signed the front panel.
Old 9th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
Interesting, this one was not on my radar. I found a nice clip of it. Seemed to have some of the Avalon hi-fi sound, the high end lift was very nice.

On the flip side, I'm also mulling equalux+electrodyne 2511 vs sontec. thinking the 2511 would have some tracking application . . .

my equalux was purchased right as PMI was buying tonelux. the timing of my order from Mercenary was such that the order was lost in the shuffle. Eventually I got a call from one of the Hyatts and they gave me a deal on a unit that Paul worked on and he signed the front panel.
I guess that makes it an Egolux

Yeah the high end and the low end on the 2055 is something else. The mids are really flexible too.

Do you have a Silver Bullet? The eq on that is great, not to mention it's huge host of other features. It does the smiley curve/boost better than most eq's I've heard. For tracking and mixing it doesn't get much more useful.
Old 9th October 2017
Quote:
I guess that makes it an Egolux

Yeah the high end and the low end on the 2055 is something else. The mids are really flexible too.

Do you have a Silver Bullet? The eq on that is great, not to mention it's huge host of other features. It does the smiley curve/boost better than most eq's I've heard. For tracking and mixing it doesn't get much more useful.
Heh!

Thanks for mentioning the Silver Bullet, also been looking at this one. Could serve a lot of functions. I'm curious how it would compare to Pacifica as make-up for passive summing. Dr Bill is bullish on this use and the variable mojo would no doubt make it versatile in that dept, of course along with the bax. . .
Old 9th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
Heh!

Thanks for mentioning the Silver Bullet, also been looking at this one. Could serve a lot of functions. I'm curious how it would compare to Pacifica as make-up for passive summing. Dr Bill is bullish on this use and the variable mojo would no doubt make it versatile in that dept, of course along with the bax. . .
If I only had 1 stereo processor it would be the SB.
It would be a perfect fit for passive summing and give a massive range of flavour for the buss whilst still allowing inputs for tracking.
You can probably tell I'm a fan.
Borrow one and try it.....
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hi everybody
Sorry, my english is not so good
Anyway i'm looking for a hardware stereo or dual mono equalizer:
for mastering and mixing but possibly for tracking too.
An all around tool, given it would be my only outboard eq.
I have had in the past A Designs Hammer, Dav Bg3 and Urei 546.
All beautiful machines.
After i went to digital good equalizers plugins but i miss an outboard tool and i'd like to get one to complete my very minimal analog chain: Adi2Pro (digital eq)-Dav Bg4 compressor-(stereo or dual mono equalizer)
Budget 1000-1500 euro
i'm considering
Elysia XFilter or Tonelux The Equalux (<--- reason why i update this topic)
Do you have any advice and opinion about?
About sound, versatility, customer care and assistance?
Also with regard to this topic and which has been already written?
Elysia, Tonelux or something else in this price range?
Thank you very much
KG

edit
I play, track and mix acoustic music and my instruments are: voice, acoustic guitar, electric guitar (clean), acoustic bass, snare-ride-hihat-brushes, synthesizer (pad and effects), trumpet
Old 6th June 2018
KG, this may or may not be helpful: in the end I got an Electrodyne 2511 and sold my Equalux. They are obviously very different, though both are smooth operators. The music I often make may be similar to yours. I found the 2511 to be much easier to use as a tracking EQ, with useful effects on the tone, especially of bass and guitar. For two-bus, I like that the 2511 shelves and bells are both very sweet and shape the tone in broad but lovely ways. The stepped controls are great, though the frequency choices and +/- obviously limited, so far I haven't been frustrated by them. Electrodyne has announced an update with many more selections.

The Tonelux has a lot of advantage in frequency selection with fairly transparent tone. Hard to hate or love it. Recall must be done by ear, as pots aren't stepped and the faceplate markings were hard for me to read. I didn't like the shelves that much, but overall it was a very forgiving tone shaper that rarely messed up a sound. I was not impressed enough with the tone to risk tracking with it, though I'm sure in the right studio it is a great general EQ for tracking.

On the two bus, I was surprised how much I could do with the two bands of the 2511 and I use digital EQ for anything more specific, which has been surprisingly little. So I think I get more analog benefit from the Electrodyne. A-designs has several 2511 on Reverb.com for just a little over your budget.
Old 6th June 2018
Actually I bought the CAG Sontec clone which is great and very reasonable. I also picked up the Tonelux on eBay for peanuts and it also sounds very good. The CAG would be my first choice followed by the Tonelux. They are very different though. Other great eqs are the Miads, Knif and yes the Curvebender.
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hi DiodeBridge
I didn’t know the 2511
But two bands are few for an all around equalizer
It would be my only outboard equalizer:
it should be at least a 4 bands parametric eq with possibly low and high shelf.
Recall is not important, actually i’m not a big fun of stepped knobs.
Thank you for your point of view and experience about the Equalux and for the infos about the 2511.
Anyway Equalux, XFilter or similar are more suitable for my purpose than 2511
Reverb is not in my country (Italy).
I prefer Thomann for new products.
Or MM for used.
In the price range between 1000-1500 euros Equalux and XFilter seem to be the best options.
Or i could get a Bg3 again but i’d like to look elsewhere.
Tonelux was intriguing me but this thread made me a little undecided.
While, reading online, Elysia XFilter could be a very good choice but in the practice i wonder how much it can offer compared to a very good plugin.
Thank you for your opinions and experience
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Paul
You said that Tonelux isn’t anymore like it was and to look for other brands
I’d like a 2055 but it is out of budget.
About Tonelux now you have another opinion?
Old 6th June 2018
I don't know it seems Tonelux clone old Sony microphones these days. The EQ I have is older. The Elysia is very good as is the Elektra by UBK. Depends if you want colour and vibe or some surgery.
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear

Ah ok
So you mean old Equalux, not new.
I was thinking about new Equalux or new Xfilter. I can find them only new.
Good for clean and transparency.
But in your opinion which are the benefits that XFilter can offer compared to a very good and clean plugin?

edit
Electra really interesting but not in the price range. Thanks anyway for the input. I didn't know this eq
Old 7th June 2018
It seems to be quite common here where people want something hi-end but really can only afford something good but commonplace. I especially refuse to compare hardware to plug ins

TKLizer?
Old 7th June 2018
AB3
Lives for gear

Maybe I missed it above- is the equalux being sold today, not the same as the equalux sold several years ago?

I had one years ago and I wish I still had it. It had an amazing sound.
Old 7th June 2018
Here for the gear

Yes i also have read good reviews about the Equalux and it is more or less the same price as the XFilter
My doubt is on the new one
Anybody else has experience about the new Equalux?
Same as the old one or different?
Other opinions about XFilter?
Old 7th June 2018
Here for the gear

“I especially refuse to compare hardware to plug ins”

It must be a reason to pay 1500 euros for a machine, i think.
Sound, depth, stereo image and how it compress are some reasons for i use my
Bg4
Old 7th June 2018
Custom Audio Germany HDE 250 Sontec Clone Hassle Free with custom transformer option and M/S...
best bang for the buck and the most WOW factor gear I've ever had...

HDE-250A_temp – customaudiogermany

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search