The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux Equalux vs Sontec 250EX
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootiv View Post
Custom Audio Germany HDE 250 Sontec Clone Hassle Free with custom transformer option and M/S...
best bang for the buck and the most WOW factor gear I've ever had...

HDE-250A_temp – customaudiogermany

Yeah this is a great bit of kit.
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyuit View Post
“I especially refuse to compare hardware to plug ins”

It must be a reason to pay 1500 euros for a machine, i think.
Sound, depth, stereo image and how it compress are some reasons for i use my
Bg4
It was a joke. Saying that, DMG Equilibrium is very good.
Old 7th June 2018
I've never definitively heard that the Equalux of today is different than ten years ago, though the company was sold by Paul Wolff to PMI in that time. While I wasn't a big fan of the Equalux shelves (and I may be the only one), I thought the 1/3 octave notches were very nice. Elektra is a good call too, similar price in the US at least.
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Custom Audio Germany HDE 250 Sontec Clone Hassle Free with custom transformer option and M/S...

Million $ question is does it sound like one?
Old 7th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Too expensive i guess
I was looking for something simple, classic and by a commercial brand, not too much exotic and boutique stuff
And i don’t like clones
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't see a price listed on the website. How much are these going for?
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Million $ question is does it sound like one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyuit View Post
Too expensive i guess
I was looking for something simple, classic and by a commercial brand, not too much exotic and boutique stuff
And i don’t like clones
Nice questions, and I totally get your points, here's my answers:

Maybe I made a mistake naming the CAG HDE250 a clone...

At this point I can say the HDE 250 is not a clone anymore, it has its own sound, that is superb from my own point of view, but thats only my subjective opinion, of course it has the Sontec character (i know the original but can't compare with hde as i hadnt had the chance to compare them both at the same time), all based clones claim to be by their users a sort of "transparent" and "musical" eqs in an ideal proportion, but the HDE250 has also its own personaity... and exclusive features... as for example Knif Eksa has, based on Sontec, but not a Sontec anymore... and i think nobody would tell they dont like Eksa because its a clone, as its not a clone, its a HUGE EQ on its own ...

On the price side...I mention the HDE250 because its ridiculously cheap for what you get: 2100€... (worth an effort if you plan to invest between 1K and 2K...) IMHO it sounds as good or better sometimes than some well known mastering eqs twice as much expensive... so its a no brainer bang for the buck, and I'm picky.., after 15 years working in mix & mastering...

The real proof again to get sure is allways with a shootout, you can check Müller 250EX (a close version to the actual HDE250) in www.gearshoot.com against some BIG mastering eq and take your own conclusions... I made my own shootout too in real life situations against several more expensive and well known eqs... and this one won for me, but as allways, that's a matter of taste and needs, and I have to work in all genres so I allways look for versatility.

Also the M/S circuit and switchable Input and Output transformers makes it possible to behave in 3 different ways, and makes it far more versatile in most situations than an original Sontec MEP250, you can also upgrade it with detented ELMA switches and its price/quality has no rival, again, from my own point of view, needs, and taste. In my studio It works perfectly with a TK-Lizer, a Bettermaker 502 and a Silver Bullet, if that helps you see a bigger picture of my own setup.

Other than that, I also was afraid when you can't find info, but after taking the risk of asking to real users and finally contacting with Steff through Facebook customaudiogermany page, I discovered that is a great professional with a huge background and very kind to help you reach the gear you search, fitting your own needs, he's now about to launch the website: customaudiogermany – we build gear so Its probable that it will become well known in a near future, as I see his HDE 250 in more and more studios each day.

Happy to share something I feel lucky to have, but that's just my 2 cents, and I'm very aware of this subjective descriptions that we all make because of the language limitations to describe some sound nuances, so take my words with a grain of salt.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/memb...250-m-s-t.html

Cheers!
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Actually I bought the CAG Sontec clone which is great and very reasonable. I also picked up the Tonelux on eBay for peanuts and it also sounds very good. The CAG would be my first choice followed by the Tonelux. They are very different though. Other great eqs are the Miads, Knif and yes the Curvebender.
I see we share veeery similar tastes on gear, great to know!!

I combine the CAG HDE250 with Bettermaker 502P, a TK-Lizer, a Silver Bullet, and a Tube Tech SMC2B (that i use as a tone eq more than often)

Very happy with the combo!
Old 7th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
TKLizer?
I didn’t know TKLizer
I thought it was a member here
This eq is almost in the price range
It reminds me of the Hammer i had.
It could be an option as XFilter and Equalux.
HDE250 looks super.
But i don’t know why it seems to me too much “professional” in my context.
And anyway 2100 is too far from my budget.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Head
Can we revitalize this thread with everyones current best EQs / Mastering EQs.

Im thinking of the Equalux or Maag EQ4M myself. I only have space for 1 EQ + My SPL Viltalizer at that side of the rack so gotta get it spot on.
Thanks all!
Old 8th February 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

Having had both, I would get the Maag 1 unit high rack eq. Both sound great. The Maag is easier ergonomically.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Head
Proportional Q seems more interesting to me. Dont like that maag is fixed and only goed to 2.5k then airband.
But all ive heard is good things about it.

Apart from maag and equalux am I missing a great 1U EQ?

A 2U I would go for a Sontec, Great River, etc.
But the extra U eliminates another product.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search