The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio in Seattle that can manage 1960's tones? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Maniac

Studio in Seattle that can manage 1960's tones?

Looking specifically for a studio in the general Seattle/Tacoma area that can manage recording 1960's tones.

Ideally the board would be Quad Eight or Neve or another era-correct board (not SSL, for example).

Would need to have a few ribbons, tube mics, LA2A's (not LA3A's, 1176's or VCA's - want mild, non grabby compression).

I've gathered London Bridge Studio and Electrokitty might be fits along these lines. Any others you know of?
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Check out Avast .. its state of the art.. 1968
Old 22nd September 2017
Litho has a bunch of vintage gear, not sure about their board.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Maniac

Chris Walla has a Quad Eight at Hall of Justice. Never worked there though. He has a ton of nice stuff.

Litho is an API with a BCM 10 sidecar. Since they've deadened the live room it is capable of dryer sounds in general. Has some vintage ribbons as well.

Avast's API (Studio B if memory serves) room is good and dead for some vintage dry stuff.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Nut

Quad Eight, Neve, and API are great, but they not very 1960s. Very seventies perhaps. In the sixties, a studio would have used tube mixers or a tube console custom built with parts by RCA, Altec, Gates, Collins, Langevin, etc.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

The Trident A-range and API 1604 at Avast offer plenty of flavor. and more vintage mics then you will ever need.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Maniac
Bear Creek Studio in Woodinville has what you are looking for last time I checked
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
Looking specifically for a studio in the general Seattle/Tacoma area that can manage recording 1960's tones.

Ideally the board would be Quad Eight or Neve or another era-correct board (not SSL, for example).

Would need to have a few ribbons, tube mics, LA2A's (not LA3A's, 1176's or VCA's - want mild, non grabby compression).

I've gathered London Bridge Studio and Electrokitty might be fits along these lines. Any others you know of?

Ah, 1960s tones. I remember all four of them.

The 1960s lasted a long time and consisted of a lot of records consisting of sounds that weren't remotely similar to each other. Describe record titles you are aiming to sonically approach with your own stuff. With exact titles, you may not get a Seattle address, but you'll possibly get better information. imo

"era-corrrect board" That's a good one. I'm an "era-correct engineer".

Last edited by thenoodle; 22nd September 2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks to the folks who answered my question - reaching out to a few mentioned.
Old 26th September 2017
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Bear Creek is nice.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search