The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 Be 6.5" ques Studio Monitors
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Focal Twin6 Be 6.5" ques

Hi all

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Twin6Be

I am in upgrading nearfields mode. Went to a dealer yesterday, and listened to a bunch of stuff in the 4k range. In that room (which was not ideal), the best monitors were the Focal Twin6 Be. The Amphion One18 came in a very close second.

I bring the Focals home, and orient them as designed. Good. But not great. Then, I stand them up, tweeters out. Much better.

Q is whether or not anyone else has noticed the same, and "should" I do this? I am of the 'if it works for you do it' mindset - but to a degree. At the same time, I am also of the mindset that if you need to orient your monitors in a manner other than they were designed, you should probably consider another pair. Not sure which mindset is, well, more 'correct'.

I can grab the Amphions and bring them home when I return the Focals, but wanted to get some other opinions on this for now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd September 2017
It depends on the size and dimension of your room. The Twin work fine horizontal or vertical. Jaw saw of video of Nathan East studio and he has the Focal Twins sitting as his main monitors
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Wherever I worked with the Twins, they always sounded much better being placed vertically and I always positioned them that way. Center image was sharper and clearer and whole staging was more accurate. But it is the same with NS10M, I much prefer them in vertical direction.

I think you should listen to your own guts, but your observation definitely matches my experiences, that is to use Twins in vertical direction. And this orientation is also described in a manual so that means they were not designed specifically for horizontal orientation.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Head

I've been using these monitors for a long time. If they sound better vertically, do it. It is even recommended by Focal in the user manual.

It is definitely room-by-room case.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

Ah, so it says vert is ok in the manual? I have a demo pair, so no manual... Will look for one online.

Cheers.
Old 22nd September 2017
Here for the gear

Saw it on the site too. Last line.

https://www.focal.com/us/monitoring-...s/sm6/twin6-be
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythUndreamt View Post
See that now - thanks!
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Guru

Jeff, you say they sounded great at the store but not so much in your studio? What's the dimensions of your room and does it have any acoustic treatment? I have Solo6's with Sub6 in my room. I wanted the Twins but I think for my room size they would be too much.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Jeff, you say they sounded great at the store....
No - didn't say that They were the best monitors out of the lot. They sounded good there, yes, but not great, which I attested to the room not being ideal.

The room is 12x11x8... which of course is not ideal, but with treatment, I have made it work. Made it work, that is, with the Yamaha HS8s. I will prolly have to do more work once I decide on mons, but in the meantime, I am where I am

Cheers.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search