The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tubetech CL1B - Fixed Mode Curiosity Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Nut

Tubetech CL1B - Fixed Mode Curiosity

So I've had a CL1B for about a Year now and I absolutely Love it!

Awhile back i switched into "Fixed" Mode for Attack and Release While tracking a Female Vocalist just out of Curiousity and really Loved the Sound! to be honest since then i've mainly kept it in Fixed mode and just adjust the volume of My preamp get more or less dB of GR.

I guess my question is if anyone knows Where the Attack and Release Knobs would need to be set in order to achieve the same sound in "manual" mode as you would in "fixed"?

I believe i read somewhere that "Fixed" = 1msec Attack / 50msec release (I Think)

But of course the unit does not actually have numbers on attack and release so it would be hard to tell where to put them!

Not that this info is really super important because i believe the ultimate goal should be great sound and not go by numbers but i was just looking at the unit today and the thought popped in my head so i was just wondering if anyone had any info on that!

Thanks!

-Jordan
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Nut

Maybe I should Say that i did find this post. But it is for the CL2A which is a little different so I'm not sure if the info would be exactly the same for the Cl1b

"When it is working in the fixed mode, no timing circuit is involved and attack/release time is determined by the inherent constants of the opto element.
When manual mode is selected, there are two timing systems involved: the timing from the sidechain and from the opto element.
The timing circuit is faster than the opto element and this can lead to overshooting.
This of course depends of the ratio control and the amount of compression.
But with a high ratio, fast attack and a high amount of compression, it will overshoot.
So you can’t get the same behaviour in manual as in fixed."
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

That is my experience too. Always liked and used fixed mode more...
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

The information would be the same for the CL1B. There is a difference between the units in the optical element, which makes it sound a little different, but the fixed/manual behavior is the same.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search