The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Wiring + Mic Cables
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Studio Wiring + Mic Cables

Do you guys have any Mic Cable preference and Studio wiring cable preference? I hear a lot of different opinions.

Is Mogami still the best available cable possible? I believe 95% of all big traditional professional studios are/were made with Mogami cables?

I am checking for:
- Mic Cables - Pro Co Exelliness and Mogami Gold Studio.
- Studio Wiring - Mogami, Belden and others.

Thanks a lot!
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear
Mogami may be all that you need. However, I've also started using Grimm TPR. That and others may be worth checking out.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of Van Damme cable.

Van Damme - Range - Full Range
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks! Any other opinion?

Cheers
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

wire and cable myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffmusic View Post
Is Mogami still the best available cable possible?
what evidence do you have to support that claim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jffmusic View Post
I believe 95% of all big traditional professional studios are/were made with Mogami cables?
95% of all big traditional professional studios are out of business.
do you suppose Oceanway/United pulled out the Belden and installed Mogami?
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Maniac

I have spoke with an old technician that claims he wired many studios including A&M studios and he says that those big studios worked with Mogami. That's why he considers Mogami the best at least at that point. I have heard other people think Mogami is not. I still think that you can get the best sound at those kind of studios. Big Studios are out of business not because of quality but because of cost and what one can do at home today.

To start with, that's why I'm asking, I'm not 100% which one is the best or what is the difference. Do you consider Belden a better choice?

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear
Do you have a budget? There's also stuff like Vovox or the reference Grimm TPM.

Good AES cables will serve you for both analog and digital. When I asked Mogami and the people here, a lot of them were using 110 cables for all their runs. So no need to differentiate in the future and better SQ according to a few. Grimm TPR also works as AES.

Also, if you are getting your studio wired, I'd use this opportunity to make sure your power is top notch. Dedicated 20 amp lines for audio gear, balanced power, and isolation transformers etc. That makes much more difference than cables. I use a Torus isolation transformer that works very well with audio gear.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

I found problems with sources, musicans, my lack of knowledge or ability or hearing or with instruments or amps or the room ... but after quality wiring, which cable i used was a lesser problem than any of the others. So if i ever get to the point where the rest is perfect, i will care about which quality cable makes more difference. I still got ca. 10 years before i'll be a pensionist.
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
I found problems with sources, musicans, my lack of knowledge or ability or hearing or with instruments or amps or the room ... but after quality wiring, which cable i used was a lesser problem than any of the others. So if i ever get to the point where the rest is perfect, i will care about which quality cable makes more difference. I still got ca. 10 years before i'll be a pensionist.

Great !

Anyway...... the most cable in my studio are 'Monster-cable' and cable from the german company 'Sommer-cable'.
Both are perfect. Never ever problems.

R.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

jffmusic, given you are a 10 year member here at the forum I'm sure you know of the many cable threads posted over the years in which good advice still holds true today. Figure out your exact needs first . . . How much mic cable do you need? - How much balanced line level cable do you need? Will that line level cable be moved frequently / handled a lot / have stuff roll over it or will it sit in place (to figure out best shielding option)? Can you use multipair snake instead of individual cables to keep down the spagetti mess and save further?

For both Mic and balanced line level cable, ALL the guys / brands that actually make cable (not the relabelers) will have decent spec'ed great cable at fairly low prices, especially in bulk. As for just shopping a brand, it depends on the exact cable you get from them as to it's performance. All cable will have data sheets online with it's specs so it's not about the brand as much as it's about the specific cable you pick. You pick the right cable for it's intended job.

General guidelines are that for balanced line level cable that won't be moved much, use a foil shield as it shields better and costs less. Specs to pay attention to are a Capacitance of less that 15 Pf/ft (per foot). If it's speced at Pf/M (per Meter) than do some quick dirty math and divide by 3. High capacitance in a balanced line level cable when the length footage starts adding up tends to kill high frequencies. If you need to run AES / EBU digital signal on a copper balanced line level cable look for the 110 ohms impedance spec. Sometimes they call this "digital cable". I've posted more detailed guidelines in past cable threads over the years so that may of further help along with many other members here sharing some common sense info.

Mic cable is a bit trickier to go by specs as you are looking for some traits that don't show up in the specs such as the ability to survive repeated rough handling / coiling / uncoiling / and have low handling noise in use. To acomplish this they add filler material to the cable and use either braided or stranded copper wire shielding.

The old threads will have specific cable numbers that have worked well for others to shorten your canidate list and beware of the huge amount of snake oil and marketing that goes with cables (there is plenty of that in the old threads too).

Given you are in the US, if interested give me a PM as I've got some extra cable from my bulk buys that may save you some money (other members in the classifieds here will have extra cable too). Even buying retail, good speced - great performance cable from one of the many actual cable makers doesn't have to cost much.
Old 18th September 2017
This^^^

As stated above, there are lots of good quality cable makers. FWIW I used Van Damme in my build.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

One option is using AES-rated cable throughout. At least you'll know what the actual capacitance is...
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Addict
Pretty happy with my van damme wiring.
Used it in all the studio wiring and for mic cables.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Mogami is great.

I'm a big fan of Canare cable as well, and have used that for a bunch of my cables.

Belden is also great cable.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of those. Haven't had any experience with Grimm or Van Damme but I'm sure they're great too.

-Mike
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Head
Canare star quad
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Guru
Why not get some cables from Redco? They will build you a cable and use whatever you specify (Gotham, Canare, Mogami, etc). At the very least you will have some very usable cables and a bit of knowledge.....
Old 25th September 2017
Mostly canare, mogami, and redco here. Haven’t had a problem with any. Redco is great bang for buck, canare is nice because you have a lot of colors to pick from color coding.
Old 25th September 2017
Mogami AES digital is used here. Their audio cables are low pass filters. They also make it in snakes. 3080 is a great all around cable. The 3173 is amazing. That 18 awg long distance AES cable makes an incredible mic cable. Try it and hear it for yourself.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear
I had to stop using the 3173 for analog runs. I found there was this edge to the sound. Speedskater had related it to the SCIN effect and drain wire. I didn't find that to be the case with the smaller 2549 or the Grimm TPR (also 110). I did a lot of comparisons with just vocals and tv dialogue to zero in.

I might give the 3173 a shot again one of these days. Even Mogami recommended the 3173 for their best analog performance.
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm deciding for snake cables 4 channels, 8 channels and 16 channels. For inside wiring of the studio.

Mogami, Belden, Redco or maybe Canare...

What would be the best option?

Thanks!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear
I went back yesterday and brought out my 3173. First had a listen to it without any comparisons. Since the last time few months ago, I couldn't find the annoying quality in the highs. Still very extended sounding. Since that time, I had added a Torus isolation transformer and switched over to shielded cables for everything, USB, ethernet, power cables. Got rid of switching power supplies for almost all equipment in the room. All LPS. I don't know if that helped the 3173 or not. It sounded clean and extended.

Then I switched back to the TPR, the background sounded cleaner and darker. The image became 3D again. I went back and checked my notes from the testing a few months back and my results were consistent from back then regardless of the equipment changes. The TPR is more holographic with a quieter background. The 3173 comes across as a bit shouty and flat 2D in its image. Also, subjectively, the TPR sounds more musical and engaging to listen to. Noticeable on vocals. Also, easier on my ears. Just as extended as the 3173 but better.

TPR comes in snakes as well. Anyways, it was fun to give it a shot. TPR gets my vote. YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search