The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have you heard recently about Mr. Leo Schaal of Schaal Audio in Germany? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Nut
Have you heard recently about Mr. Leo Schaal of Schaal Audio in Germany?

Hi Dear Fellas,

I'm sorry for ruining your day with my private problem, but I got stucked and need some help now.

Half year ago, in March I sent a DECCA modded M49 with two new AC701K tubes to Mr. Leo Schaal in Germany, to build it back to the original tube state. And I paid him for the job already. In the last 6 weeks I don't find him at all. Is he still in business? Or closed his shop? Or any family or health problems maybe involved? He does not replying my emails, not answering my calls.

Does anybody have an idea, what is going on there..?!
Old 15th September 2017
Here for the gear
It's not that recent. But I bought a PSU from schaal for my M269 about a year ago. Nice to do business with and top notch product. The noise floor in my microphone went way down.

best regards,
Johannes
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Nut
Be aware with Schaal Audio!

I also bought PSUs and cables from him with no problem. But this time he has disappeared. Since March he has my expensive Neumann M49 microphone, the two new AC701 and I completely prepaid him. And he is refusing any communications with me, for six weeks. It's simply inacceptable! What do you suggest, how to deal with it now?
Old 16th September 2017
Send him a fax: ++49 (0)39403/169977
Hope it helps !

R.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Nut
I can send him a fax later today. Maybe that could work, but I seriously doubt it... :-(
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Addict

I have contacted him this past week from Argentina and everything was fine. I bought u67 cables.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Nut
Still no luck for me. I don't find him anywhere. If some of his friends read this, please tell him that Gabor desperately needs a reply.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

I see that he has an eBay site, Schaal Audio. He has items for sale that still have time left on the auction. He still seems to be doing business, just not your business. The last feedback was left on 12 Sep, 2017. Maybe contact him through the eBay site if you are being ignored through other avenues.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

He lists these telephone numbers on the eBay site, 0049/39403/169977.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Nut
Thank you Paul, I try to reach him on eBay as well. The phone number is the same as the one I have. I'm really tired of this.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear
Tell him you will take action unless you receive a response.
Old 20th September 2017
Wow I'm so sorry to hear ... seems like this is common with mic repair guys ...
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Leo's a good guy but he travels a lot from my communications with him.

At times it he responds within hours, others weeks at a time.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

That's a bummer. I had him make me a custom cable a few months back for my RSM190 and he was super responsive and professional the whole way through the transaction. I got the cable quickly and it's working great.

Hope you get this resolved.

-Mike
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear
Hopefully you won’t need to contact the police.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Maniac

I have just contacted Mr Schaal via email to order a new PSU for my KM 54 and a cable. I did mention this thread in my email, hopefully he will react soon. I've had nothing but a great experience in my previous business with Mr Schaal (last order was November 2016) and his products are of the highest quality. I find quite strange that he would keep a mic and not respond, hopefully this is just a misunderstanding...
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Nut
Mr. Schaal is back!

Mr. Schaal responded and made it clear for me. He is struggling with some bad cold that prevented him from working at all. He started to send me the items on order, and soon he will finish the M49 rebuild for me.
Old 7th October 2017
Here for the gear

A few months ago he sent me two unique, custom made, massive, 5 pin connectors for AKG C28 mics without me even paying them (cca 145 EUR,don't remember)
I wanted to pay him before he start to make them so i asked him about payment procedure.
He did not answered to my e-mail for a few weeks and than one day the connectors arrived.
Then he sent me data for payment and I paid him ofcourse.

We had nice and professional comunication.
Old 10th December 2018
Here for the gear

Mr. Leo Schaal is not answering

I had some Stuff made bei Mr. Schaal. He is a very sympathetic and honest Person. He has renewed an KM 54 tube mike, has build a support for my three Tube Mikes. I asked him for some help, but he didnt answer. Something serious must have happened. The best is, to try to phone or to write a letter to the named family without surname, so everybody could open it. I have a bad feeling, I hope nothing has happened.
Greetings
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Nut
Hi Dear All!

I was the one to start this thread and I’m happy to report that all is fine now with Mr. Schaal. He delivered me all the stuff I ordered, in great working order. Earlier he was struggling with some flu thing and as always, was busy taking care of his kids. Recently I received a great, new U67 PSU from him, that makes my U67 reissue sound even closer to a vintage one. I think that he was a bit overloaded by jobs and enquiries before Christmas, but I’m shure that he will reply to all emails. He is a great engineer and nice guy. He is just very busy nowadays. Don’t be afraid to buy anything from him, he is keen in delivering all orders on time.

Cheers!
Tranny
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Really bad news and so rude that the OP would air his dirty laundry here on GS.

He became impatient and came into this thread to whine.

Really bad news.
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I would hardly call 6 weeks of trying to get in touch without a response "impatient." And I would consider asking if anybody knew if somebody I had sent an M49 and a bunch of cash to in another country had disappeared, become ill, or died, to be completely reasonable.

There's no dirty laundry here. Just an attempt to get in touch with a business that had refused to communicate with the original poster for SIX WEEKS. If you don't want people asking if you are dead or have left town, then answer your phone and return your email.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

To be accurate, the first post stated that the mic had been sent six months before the post and it had been six weeks since he could get any contact from his tech. Doesn’t seem too trigger-happy on posting, considering the investment involved.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Hello there... Just to pick up on this - How are people's experience with the U67 PSU? I am contemplating buying one or a Drefahl PSU for a mic we have been refurbishing..
Anyone have experience with either or both?
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Might I suggest contacting David Bock about the U67 PS. David is REALLY fussy about power supplies and created units for the U47s at Capitol Records. I’d trust his supply beyond any of the others on the market. It’s genuinely one of his special areas of expertise.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
Might I suggest contacting David Bock about the U67 PS. David is REALLY fussy about power supplies and created units for the U47s at Capitol Records. I’d trust his supply beyond any of the others on the market. It’s genuinely one of his special areas of expertise.
Thanks for that.
I am in the UK so would prefer to buy from Europe ideally. There's a couple of options here with the Schaal PSU being slightly more affordable than the Drefahl one - both seem great though.

Any user experiences of either of these would be great! Thank you
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, I guess David isn’t exactly local for you. I’m sorry I don’t know more about the two you’re considering. But here’s something to keep in mind. I’ve found that vintage Neumann mics are more sensitive to PS foibles than most. The reason I suggested David in the first place is that his supplies are sonically indistinguishable from the originals. That isn’t the case with a lot of aftermarket supplies. If the supply isn’t right, the mic will never sound like it should. So choose carefully and demand absolute fealty to the original.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
Yeah, I guess David isn’t exactly local for you. I’m sorry I don’t know more about the two you’re considering. But here’s something to keep in mind. I’ve found that vintage Neumann mics are more sensitive to PS foibles than most. The reason I suggested David in the first place is that his supplies are sonically indistinguishable from the originals. That isn’t the case with a lot of aftermarket supplies. If the supply isn’t right, the mic will never sound like it should. So choose carefully and demand absolute fealty to the original.
That's great advice. Thank you.
I'm going to look into it all further!
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Nut
PSU for U67

Schaal PSU is a very good sounding, modern PSU, with lots of safety features, taking care of your investment.

Andreas Grösser's PSU is the most similar to the original, vintage U67 PSU. Same architecture as the original, same vintage look. I think that this is the one for you... :-)
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut

Just wanted to chime in with my personal experience on this subject.

I ended up ordering some U67 PSU/cables from Leo's eBay shop.

We waited a little while but they were built to order and were properly soak tested prior to shipping.
Shipping was really fair - I wish I had bought direct from him rather than eBay.

The actual PSU's are fantastic. Really nicely built plus they sound brilliant. Extremely low noise, and I couldn't be happier with them.
Thoroughly recommended.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search