The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Quiet air conditioner for studio?
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
get a split air conditioner, they're more money but they are very quiet and work great. I've had one for about 8 years now in my control room.
did you install it yourself? how hard is it?
I've been reading a lot about mini splits and in order for the warranty to be valid, the mini split has to be installed by a licensed HVAC person professionally. I've called to get many estimates but they want $1,500-1,800 here in Chicago to get the job done in 2 hours. If I had the money I would do it in a heartbeat but due to the circumstances I think the only solution for me would be to get a portable air conditioner, my only question would be how much difference is from 38 dba to 46 dba?
Old 23rd May 2011
Here for the gear

i had a room with a similar issue. we had geothermal heating/cooling but the isolation from the mechanical room wasn't the best. usually i'd end up turning the AC down, getting nice and comfy and then turning it off and recording. back and forth. its stupid i realize. but, unless you are doing loud drums or distorted guitars, even the quietest wall mount will be too noisy to leave on during tracking. especially during vox. but i didnt' exactly have any alternative.

as my day job i install heating/cooling systems, even the quietest ECM fans will be noisy enough to be a problem.

If you were going as far as some have suggested and building a chamber for isolation, you would be much better off simply oversizing the ductwork by 50% and lining it with 1" fibreglass. same affect, less cost and size. half the problem is the velocity noise of the air. by oversizing the duct it will allow the same amount of air to come out at a lower velocity.

also, make sure to have flex duct attached to the unit to de-couple it from the walls/ceiling.

we have done this in a studio install before, works very well.

best,
-Eric
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by netomtz88 View Post
I would like some feedback please
I do not recommend this. They are not quiet at all, and you have to dump the water out every
day sometimes, and the water tanks in these can get moldy if not frequently washed out. Now
if noise doesn't matter and you need a portable like that, buy one that has no tank, and sends
moisture out the window. That suggestion above of a split air conditioner is great. Small unit in
a window, which runs out to a larger unit outside below it that houses the loud motor. It is not
completely silent, but it is a lot quieter than typical window models. Google those for more info.
Old 25th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by netomtz88 View Post
did you install it yourself? how hard is it?
I've been reading a lot about mini splits and in order for the warranty to be valid, the mini split has to be installed by a licensed HVAC person professionally. I've called to get many estimates but they want $1,500-1,800 here in Chicago to get the job done in 2 hours. If I had the money I would do it in a heartbeat but due to the circumstances I think the only solution for me would be to get a portable air conditioner, my only question would be how much difference is from 38 dba to 46 dba?
If you're talking about what you think the difference will be, between a room a/c unit and split, it's gigantic. My friend installed it, it's pain but I can't imagine being without it. I'm actually going to get one more this year for my live room
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, with portable room AC's it's a law of diminishing returns. Had one in a rehearsal space.

For one, their rated btu numbers don't come close to a window unit or split unit. A 12,000 btu portable probably cools about as good as a 5,000 btu window unit, if not worse.

The portable unit gets hot. The compressor, heat exchanger, it's all in that unit. Even exhausting the hot air through a wall/window, you can still put your hand on the front of the AC unit and feel it's warmth, and that's heating the room up! Also, the exh hose gets hot. I went to home depot and got sleeved duct insulation to wrap around the the exh hose. it helps.

Then there is the case of sucking outside air in. and if it's a hot day, you're sucking hot outside air in. If the portable unit only has 1 hose, then that means it's sucking air from inside the room (then out the exh hose), which creates a low pressure room (vacuum) as that air has to be replaced, and it comes from outside. If it has 2 hoses, then that means one of the hoses sucks the intake from outside, there will be no pressure drop in your room.

All of this inefficiency makes the portable units seem less than 1/2 as effective for cooling than the equivalent window unit or split unit. Plus they are loud and you have to drain the water tray all the time. About all they can do better (than a fan) is cool you down if you sit right in front of it.

Really, don't waste your time with the portable units.
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

There's another way to go with this as well (depending on what you might consider to be important):

You might want to consider the idea of just getting a ridiculously powerful unit without much regard as to how bloody loud it is!

...Ya know, one with 12 times the BTU some "expert" HVAC guy would call "overkill".

A unit like that will spend a good amount of time just sitting on its ass waiting to be called upon to cool things down again.

...Then when you're rolling (or doing something else where it would be critical), just switch it off, so it doesn't surprise you by interrupting the proceedings.

I mean hell, what bloody difference does it make how loud it might be, when it's not even running?

You just might find this to actually be cheaper than one of those expensive and inefficient so-called "quiet" ones which in practical use you'd just have to turn off anyway (and sweat your 'nards off).
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Just get the Sharp portable that is "Library quiet" (38 dB). You can exhaust it right into the drywall (which will vent up to the attic).
this would work well for my "room within a room" isolated control room- I can vent into the interstitial space that is surrounded by a cool concrete wall and floor kept cool because it's underground. I work, heat up the concrete slowly, then leave and it cools down- thermal mass, baby!
Old 9th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbongo View Post
I'm moving to a new space and need Aircon, most of the sites I've looked at don't mention how loud these units are. Can anyone recommend a really quiet wall mounted split type airconditioner?

bb
We have many sucess case for studio. http://www.silentairconditioning.co.uk/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search