The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware De-essers in 2017 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
Thanks, for getting back, and this is pretty good news! I was about to blow double the price for two used and really discounted Derressers......

Still, the Derressers have the HF limiting mode and the LP and HP filters - there you go, I am still undecided.
The DBX's has a HF limiting mode as well
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

I am not the owner of this link but the BSS DPR402 is probably the most unrated tool ever it has an amazing hardware de-esser and it;s a comp/limiter too.
plus you can get them so cheap as well - they were $2K when they were new

https://reverb.com/ca/item/5858662-b...ser-nice-shape
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Addict

Derresser = Excellent
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
The Empirical Labs Derresser does what you want. It limits the HF based on the ratio of HF to LF, rather than the HF level. This keeps the signal from becoming proportionally too bright, and provides de-essing no matter what the level. Also great for getting rid of squeaks on acoustic guitars.
Agree totally whilst I'll add with the LilFreq Eight Band Equaliser you can move the Derr-Esser up into a Different Frequency chain or have it at the end, you'll also get an amazing detailed 8 band EQ with sharp pints re Q and a 1073 emulation mode Eq that sounds full and lush, there's also a limit and a few other options not offered on the 500 module, circuitry seems the same idea, though here you add a Mike E for a dual channel strip production unit. Very different two 19" racks to one 500 series module though man does it work well!

Good luck!
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I am not the owner of this link but the BSS DPR402 is probably the most unrated tool ever it has an amazing hardware de-esser and it;s a comp/limiter too.
plus you can get them so cheap as well - they were $2K when they were new

https://reverb.com/ca/item/5858662-b...ser-nice-shape
Yes that BSS unit and the DS-201 by Drawmer also have Filtering techniques, seems both are Studio and Live staples in production, possibly be aware the opal series by BSS is a different thing altogether etc.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

I still like my Drawmer MX50 but I recently started taking the time to automate (volume trim) the sections that I feel need de-essing. Sounds better to me.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
I still like my Drawmer MX50 but I recently started taking the time to automate (volume trim) the sections that I feel need de-essing. Sounds better to me.
sadly, this is still the most natural sounding way to do de-essing.
for me at least.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

I kept trying plug in de-essers that were by all rights quality ones (Waves, UAD), but kept getting frustrated that they weren’t giving me what I wanted.

I finally picked up a HW 902, and on first try was like, (twists knobs) “oh, that’s it”.

Better engineers can probably get better results from plugs than me, but that was my experience FWIW.
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I kept trying plug in de-essers that were by all rights quality ones (Waves, UAD), but kept getting frustrated that they weren’t giving me what I wanted.

I finally picked up a HW 902, and on first try was like, (twists knobs) “oh, that’s it”.

Better engineers can probably get better results from plugs than me, but that was my experience FWIW.
Agree, Do not know what the problem with plugin deessers is but I never get them to work satisfactorily. I plug in a DBX and problem solved in 2 seconds.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

try spl: they got a different twist than most (all?) others.

or the tc eq station got a 2 band de-esser; very cool as well
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
sadly, this is still the most natural sounding way to do de-essing.
for me at least.
Me too before I hit the 1973 for a final round of smoothing speaking of which "OEK soothe" is pretty damn good (oops it's a plug in).
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
I've got four DBX 520 modules which are the 500 series version of the classic DBX 902, it works very well, it's a set and forget kind of modules because it doesn't use threshold but engaging GR when the selected frequency range selected, say everything above 2.5Khz exceeds the level of everything below 2.Khz, so it responds the same for all parts of songs with very dynamic vocals.

So I use a Fabfilter Pro-DS followed by an Izotope RX6 De-esser which are working very well together before the analog chain and a DBX 520 on the last part of the analog chain, so far I'm very happy with this setup!
Still working for you, how’d you make out?
This subject seems to be persistently significant in our world. Maybe a 2018 bump is in order.

I continue to hear so many tracks (my own included) that after mastering eq etc tweaks, could have benefited from a dab more vocal de ess.

The 902 may be in my future but, although this thread was about HW, it may be reasonable to demo the new Weiss. Curious about it.

That said, it’s seemingly better to catch most of the offenders before they’re printed. Hence, technique (ideally) and HW on the front line.
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Maniac

The BSS mentioned above is good bang for the buck & also the DBX 900 series.

The best de-esser I've used is the one in the Manley Vox Box.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I’m curious about the Etec dbtl20 high and low freq limiter.

It is designed with vinyl cutting in mind.

Any idea how good it is in a mastering situation?
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
I’m curious about the Etec dbtl20 high and low freq limiter.

It is designed with vinyl cutting in mind.

Any idea how good it is in a mastering situation?
Nobody used it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search