The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Issues with KH O800's crossover + ATC scm20asl pro mk2??
Old 6th September 2017
Here for the gear

Issues with KH O800's crossover + ATC scm20asl pro mk2??

In turns of monitoring fidelity/accuracy, are there any problems with running a set of ATC SCM 20ASL Pro MKII monitors with a Klein & Hummel O800 sub? Setup would be in stereo.

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o800_manual_e_519209_version_0410_1.pdf/$File/o800_manual_e_519209_version_0410_1.pdf

The O800 sub features "electronically balanced high-pass outputs" (Integrated active Linkwitz-Riley frequency crossover; 90 Hz; Slope - 24 dB/oct).

My question is: will the sub's integrated crossover cause any issues or sound degradation when using ATC scm20asl Mk2 monitors with it?

Thank you!
Old 7th September 2017
It may work ok but there are better methods. Since the SCM20 has its own 12 db/oct rolloff starting at 80 hz you may have some issues time aligning the sub for optimal frequency response. A lower extending box would better accommodate the 90 hz filtering between the two systems.

Best case would be to run the SCM20 full range, feeding a summed mono signal through a discreet crossover into the sub direct input (which, to my understanding, bypasses the 90 hz cross). This would give you the flexibility to create an optimal time alignment situation between subs and tops. I have a cheap dbx crossover on my subs but soon upgrading to a minidsp unit. Minidsp would be best case as you could designate the crossover to a near duplicate of the physical rolloff of the SCM20 (which should come in around a 80 hz/12 db/oct).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search