The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 Be sound
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Maniac

Focal Twin6 Be sound

Hi Slutz,

For the past 2-3 months I've been testing monitors and eventually settled on the Focal Twins. I thought everything was going pretty smooth until I realised that mixing was kind of easier on the Solo6's.

The solo6's hit you right in the face and feel precise compared to the twins where it's less obvious. Right now they're setup horizontally on my desk, low drivers on the inside. Slightly angled inwards. Room is treated, but still a 'converted bedroom'.

Does anybody else feel the same way or have any tips/suggestions on placement? I just feel that everything sounds a bit too good.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear
The Twin6Be and the Solo6Be are designed for slightly different applications as far as I can tell. It seems to me that the Twin6 is ideally placed up above a console meter bridge in a medium to large control room with a slightly further listening position than the bedroom desktop friendly Solo6. I think console vs desk reflections had a lot to do with the design differences in driver types and orientation. A friend of mine who lives up the street has a pair of the Twin6Be but he also has them up behind a large control surface area, just in front of the angled acoustic isolation glass that looks in on his live room from the mix position in the control room. It's a really nice sounding setup, and it's interesting that I would describe the setup as sounding the way you describe the Solo6 in your situation. I was surprised at the clarity from a 3-way plus passive radiator design with the same size woofer and mid-woofer on opposite sides of an inverted-dome, rigid tweeter.
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Maniac

Many users (me included) feel the twins sound better when placed vertically. I think the stereo image in horizontal sounds pretty weird, almost phasey. You could try placing them vertically and see if you like them better that way.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Many users (me included) feel the twins sound better when placed vertically. I think the stereo image in horizontal sounds pretty weird, almost phasey. You could try placing them vertically and see if you like them better that way.
I think this has to do with context. Because they're 3-way with the mid-woofer and woofer on each side of the tweeter, they require a bit of breathing room. I think the idea of the radiator design is also to deaden the cabinet resonances a bit in compensation for a reflective surface.
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Maniac

I've been experimenting with the positioning today and I may have improved the situation. The stereo image feels more connected. I also turned the bass contour to +2.

I noticed that putting them on mopads (..i know) and finetuning the positioning, makes them sound tighter. Maybe it's all in my head, but I noticed that I could have been listening to them the wrong way, trying to compare them to the 6's.

Listening to them right now sounds completely different, I noticed that the stereo image is not only wide, but everything is 'laid out' in front you. The kick/bass has enormous clarity. The solo6's were surgical, these are more musical/truthful. Time will tell if these are the right tools for me/my room.

Vertical (lows on the bottom) sounds a bit narrower but I think even more precise than horizontal, maybe I'm used to how they sound horizontally. They feel flatter that way in terms of bass response. Being surrounded by the music is an amazing experience.

I believe that they will sound even better placed on a console in a nicely treated control room.

Last edited by jasonro; 2nd September 2017 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Re-tweaked
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

I went through the same thing. The twins feel good, it's nice to crank music through them, nice for tracking. But I also found it a lot easier to mix on the solos. The bass was a bit light on the solos, that was my main criticism, but mixing the mids and highs were spot on.
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm using an Adam Sub8 with the crossover around 80hz and the volume a tiny bit past zero.

I totally understand the burn-in time now too, they sound really great after 300 hours. The highs become clear and the muddy/tubby low-end becomes tight and focused.

Compared to the Solo's, I'm hearing so many things that I didn't noticed before like reverb spaces, sound-localisation, distortion, a new meaning to clarity and music in general and the hard work that goes in getting the details right.

Mixing on the Solo's is easier, perhaps due to the single cones. I will need more time on the twins to confirm that. This is the first time that I've switched to a 3-way type monitor, so there could be a slight learning curve.

They sound really cool when they're cranked up, holy ****.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

It took me a long time to get my Twins set up properly. I have a 22'x12' room. I originally just stuck them horizontally on speakers stands and did the old Equilateral triangle, setup. I did added a Dynoaudio 10" sub to my setup as I wanted to get a bit more low end response in the room. Even though my room is very well treated acoustically I was never quite happy with the way the Twins sounded.

Then I used REW software and analyzed my room. This was very tedious and takes a lot of patience to do right but worth the time invested. If you look at the photo of my studio you will see the Twins are vertical and very close to my listening position. This would never have been my first choice of locating them but a good 10 hours worth of testing, moving monitors horizontal/verticle, furniture, etc, this location gave me the flattest response. The Dynoaudio sub ended up just to the right of my sitting position. Another place I would never have just place it.

The graph showing the before (tan) and after (red) give you an idea of how much better these monitors can perform when placed properly . Combined with the small 10" sub it's very flat sounding.

I really believe your not going to get the best out of these monitors without a good deal of testing with an analyzer program and a bit of effort in acoustical treatment. Believe me. They can sound great in a small room when placed properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Twin6 Be sound-20621158_10213097011127503_5227474818190790466_n.jpg   Focal Twin6 Be sound-graphs.jpg  
Old 6th September 2017
WAD
Gear Maniac

Focal Twins sound really bad to me. Especially when you put them up against speakers like ATC SCM25! I know the ATC's are in a completely different price bracket but still - the Twins sounded like they had carpets in front of them. Unity Audio 'The Rock' would be a better option.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dft3670 View Post
It took me a long time to get my Twins set up properly. I have a 22'x12' room. I originally just stuck them horizontally on speakers stands and did the old Equilateral triangle, setup. I did added a Dynoaudio 10" sub to my setup as I wanted to get a bit more low end response in the room. Even though my room is very well treated acoustically I was never quite happy with the way the Twins sounded.

Then I used REW software and analyzed my room. This was very tedious and takes a lot of patience to do right but worth the time invested. If you look at the photo of my studio you will see the Twins are vertical and very close to my listening position. This would never have been my first choice of locating them but a good 10 hours worth of testing, moving monitors horizontal/verticle, furniture, etc, this location gave me the flattest response. The Dynoaudio sub ended up just to the right of my sitting position. Another place I would never have just place it.

The graph showing the before (tan) and after (red) give you an idea of how much better these monitors can perform when placed properly . Combined with the small 10" sub it's very flat sounding.

I really believe your not going to get the best out of these monitors without a good deal of testing with an analyzer program and a bit of effort in acoustical treatment. Believe me. They can sound great in a small room when placed properly.
I agree that the positioning with these speakers is a very tedious process.. I have been fine-tuning ever since our last post. I'm having them vertically on my desk right now. The graph shows a huge improvement, I should give the REW software a go..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I found out that at -10 they sound way better btw
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search