The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pmc TB2 vs two two
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Nut

Pmc TB2 vs two two

These TB2 are now old speakers but I'm wondering if anybody has upgraded them?

There are a couple modifications which could be done either separately or all at once. I've not seen any threads on these.

1) dxt tweeter upgrade - this is the same renowned tweeter used in the new kii audio speakers which cost almost 10000 euros.

2.) Hypex plate amp with digital crossover.

If anybody has tried these I'd like to know how it sounds and whether it can compete with pmc two two speakers which basically seem like the same as TB2 except with better tweeters and the digital electronics, and they cost alot more.
Old 20th August 2017
This review will tell you a lot. I heard both monitors and the TwoTwo's are a step up from the old ones.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pmc-twotwo-5-6
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Nut

The review says
Quote:
In switching between the TwoTwo 6 and TB2, it became clear to me that both speakers share similar tonality and bass extension
So the question is, if you simply fitted a better tweeter to the TB2 and then fitted a plate amplifier with digital crossover, could you get similar results for a much lower cost??
Old 20th August 2017
Read the review a little slower to pick up more info

The entire TwoTwo range is redesigned from the ground-up, employing brand-new bespoke new drive units, Class-D.....
The different cabinets also impose different ATL lengths, 1.5m for the TwoTwo 5 and 1.6m for the TwoTwo 6, with a correspond......
there was no doubt that the TwoTwo 6 was very obviously revealing mix details and subtleties that were eluding the TB2.

it's not just a tweeter update.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Nut

Have the tb2 ll’s. Really like them, was thinking of upgrading to the twotwo 6’s.
Anyone have more info on upgrading or has done the upgrade and is happy they did?
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Head

I used to have a pair of TB2 active with the flying mole amps. Quite nice but I found them difficult in the mids, which may partly have been due to not so great room. Went to LB1 for a while, with an amp, was a step up in general. Finally I upgraded to AML2 which is quite another level. But just then, the two two 5 and 6 came out, which I heard as well. The 6 sounded much clearer in the midrange than the TB2, more balanced overall, more revealing. Not as musical as the AML but perhaps more neutral. Very impressive for the size and weight.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Just to chime in.

I really don't know which exactly TB2 model I have.

It says TB2-A, on the back, but, my tweeter is soft dome (as in "+" TB2 models), my speakers are black (is in "s" models), and they are activated with flying mole amps, which said they were 100W per channel.

I always had trouble with not enough bass, and low mid, upper bass ringing kind to sound of them, I was never truly satisfied, the way I was when I first heard the similar model in another studio (I'm not sure if it was with Mole amps, or the newer PMC amps).

A year ago, one of moles died, and I gave them to my service guy to try to repair them. He was trying , the guy is genius, and ultimately he wanted to rebuild,and make a new quality amp inside the flying mole case. While discussing that with me, he said "You don't need a lot of power, they are 30W per channel". I was like "Wait a minute, they are not, they are 100W per channel". Than he said "Maybe the peak power is hardly 100W, but they are 30W per channel, trust me". And he said "I can rebuild,make a better one, or I could just find some nice small external amp and bypass them completely"

I wanted him to rebuild and make the new amps, but it was taking a lot of time, so I cut that, and decided for the dedicated amp. He brought me some old Denon amp, and he said it's 80W per channel, but the peak power is 160W per channel. I read that PMC TB2's needs a lot of power to play well, and people here on GS are saying they had more success with driving them with more powerfull amps, like more than 100w per channel, so I was worried that 80W per channel is not enough and was bragging to my guy not trusting him that the Moles are actually 30W per channel.

On Flying Moles (allegedly 100W per channel), I kept the the volume on the amps themselves @70% of the power to match my Adams A7x at the middle (zero) position, right now with the external amp, I'm keeping the amp's volume knob at like 30% and it's matching the volume of the Adams, that being said, my external 80W amp is almost three time more powerful then Flying Mole "100W" amps...

And the most important thing, the sound. They don't sound honky, the way they used to sound with the Moles, and the bass is way more bigger, I was struggling to hear lower octaves before with the Moles, right now, all I can hear is nice creamy mids, mids and powerful bass.

That being said, Flying Moles are garbage, they don't deliver 100W per channel like they advertise, they hardly deliver 30W per channel, they are cold sounding and can't drive the TB2s the way they need. This 80W hi fi Denon amp is smoking them.

I'll try even more powerful 120w per channel amp tomorrow, to see what happens. But I would recommend to all the people that have the Flying Mole versions to bypass them and to drive the speakers with something more powerful, anything will be better.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear
Ok I have TB2S+ and have grown to love them - they dont have the flattest frew response but time based response is excellant. However there is one MASSIVE advantage of the newere two twos - FRONT PORTS !!! for the transmission line. If you have a small room the back ports on the TB2s+ are a massive pain - they need a lot of room to breath - that in my experience is what makes them sound amazing not the amp (IVE hasd them in big and small rooms). The only way I got them to work well in a small room was to put about 2 feet of bass panels directly behind them on the wall.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
TB2S+... don't have the flattest freq response but time based response is excellent. However there is one MASSIVE advantage of the newer two twos - FRONT PORTS !!! for the transmission line. If you have a small room the back ports on the TB2s+ are a massive pain - they need a lot of room to breathe
+1 on this ^^

I switched to Amphion One15s in my small studio for exactly this reason and moved the TB2s to the living room for listening/mastering where they sound superb, especially with the low-end response.

It sounds like PMC have solved the obvious problem with tricky placement of a rear-ported transmission-line design in a small space with the Two Twos by putting the port at the front.

Interestingly, PMC have obviously decided that the market is better suited to only active designs in their nearfield range, which I think is a shame, given their pedigree with classic passive models like the TB2.

I prefer passive designs simply because I like to choose my own amplification and have some nice amps already available here, so it works out cheaper, notwithstanding the cost of some good speaker cable.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 28th February 2018 at 07:02 PM..
Old 8th February 2019
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
+1 on this ^^

I switched to Amphion One15s in my small studio for exactly this reason and moved the TB2s to the living room for listening/mastering where they sound superb, especially with the low-end response.

It sounds like PMC have solved the obvious problem with tricky placement of a rear-ported transmission-line design in a small space with the Two Twos by putting the port at the front.

Interestingly, PMC have obviously decided that the market is better suited to only active designs in their nearfield range, which I think is a shame, given their pedigree with classic passive models like the TB2.

I prefer passive designs simply because I like to choose my own amplification and have some nice amps already available here, so it works out cheaper, notwithstanding the cost of some good speaker cable.
I agree and keep a set of the passive TB2+ in my line up as well
with a high-quality amp, it does shine.

great for High-end multi-purpose audio usages, edits, etc
jack of all trades - but not a master in any specific area.

price per value of a set used is very hard to beat,
for a nice work/check/ reference tool...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search