The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tim Campbell CT12 vs Telefunken CK12 ?
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Tim Campbell CT12 vs Telefunken CK12 ?

Hi everyone. I'm getting parts to build a C12 clone, and was wondering if anyone had ever compared Tim Cambell's CT12 to a Telefunken CK12 ? The Telefunken is more than twice the price of Tim's capsule, but they claim they used the original AKG blueprints to make their own. So I was wonedring if anyone got a real-life situation of the 2 different capsules in the same microphone ?

Thanks fellas !
Old 20th August 2017
Avgatzeblouz, to address one aspect of your post, Josephson, MBHO, Beezneez, Telefunken, Upton, Heiserman, OPR and myself all build our capsules after the same mechanical dimensions of the original AKG CK12. It's all the other small aspects of our manufacturing processes and our aesthetics that account for the differences in timbre you hear.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
Avgatzeblouz, to address one aspect of your post, Josephson, MBHO, Beezneez, Telefunken, Upton, Heiserman, OPR and myself all build our capsules after the same mechanical dimensions of the original AKG CK12. It's all the other small aspects of our manufacturing processes and our aesthetics that account for the differences in timbre you hear.
Seems like a good answer to me.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yes it is, And that is the best answer a manufacturer can give to help me while remaining respectful to the other manufacturers. The CK12 chase must be the toughest one for the manufacturers and for the users. If I were rich, I would get them all and then make an educated decision.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

In any case it's nice he listed all those who make a ... um... real copy.

But finding someone who A/B-ed the Campbell and the Tele in the same circuit, through a high end chain and under reliable test conditions, now that may not be so simple.
Well, you never know.

Hey, there may be a magazine who could perform a CK12 test.
If all the makers are willing to lend a capsule for testing ...
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
In any case it's nice he listed all those who make a ... um... real copy.

But finding someone who A/B-ed the Campbell and the Tele in the same circuit, through a high end chain and under reliable test conditions, now that may not be so simple.
Well, you never know.

Hey, there may be a magazine who could perform a CK12 test.
If all the makers are willing to lend a capsule for testing ...
Yes, I know my question was a long shot... The magazine with sound samples would be awesome.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Send Tim an email and discuss what your looking for he will do his best to explain if he can get you there! I have a Haun here but if I were looking for a C12 Capsule there are only 2 guys who I would be talking to
Tim & Shannon Rhodes!
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Nut

Many companies make fine recreations, but Tim's capsules are widely regarded as the definitive CK12 capsule. I just got one in the mail last week, after a 3 month wait time. I am eager to put it to use.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

I have three C414s with 'brass ring' capsules. One is an original CK12, one is a CK12 reskinned by Tim, and one is a CT12. I use them all interchangeably and have never noticed a difference in sound.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

I use the FLEA 12 which has the Tim capsule as standard issue. Outstanding authentic C12 sound for days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search