The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IGS Tubecore 3U tubes experience Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th August 2017
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
IGS Tubecore 3U tubes experience

Want to try the 5670 and 6386 tubes into my Tubecore 3U,
any experiences?
I read that 6386 tubes can't really mess with the calibration on previous units,
I have one of latest releases, bought this year.

5670 tubes are not expensive, but there are some many NOS choices...
Thanks for sharing!
Old 13th August 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
Want to try the 5670 and 6386 tubes into my Tubecore 3U,
any experiences?
I read that 6386 tubes can't really mess with the calibration on previous units,
I have one of latest releases, bought this year.

5670 tubes are not expensive, but there are some many NOS choices...
Thanks for sharing!
I am still using the factory installed tubes so I will be interested to read your thoughts if you do make a change

Are you not liking the factory tubes ? Or just want to experiment ?
Old 13th August 2017
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
I love the unit so far,
just want to experiment :-)
Old 29th December 2017
  #4
Old 12th February 2018
  #5
Gear Head
 

Got my Tubecore 3u second hand. I assume it's the stock tubes. I love this unit and have no desire to change tubes at the time.

Combover Mastering
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
JGM
Lives for gear
 

I know this is a dormant thread, but I would appreciate any feedback any of you tubecore owners can offer re how you use the unit, how it sounds, and types of sources you use it on.
Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
jerkrecords's Avatar
 

I love mine.
i've used both 6N1P and 5670's in it and for me it's a bit of a toss-up.
both sound great - i stuck with the 6N1P's since it i liked it those from the get-go. I am tending to use the mix knobs set at 20 to 22 on a full mix. Let's the thing punch more. Want to hear it on something heavy? sure you do.
On this track it's the last thing on the 2-mix:

Marion | THUNDERWORM

-pete
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
I know this is a dormant thread, but I would appreciate any feedback any of you tubecore owners can offer re how you use the unit, how it sounds, and types of sources you use it on.
Thanks.
Had it 2 years now and I will keep it till I die. I always use my 3U on the mix bus
I am also going to do more tracking with on my vocals and maybe acoustic guitar
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords View Post
I love mine.
i've used both 6N1P and 5670's in it and for me it's a bit of a toss-up.
both sound great - i stuck with the 6N1P's since it i liked it those from the get-go. I am tending to use the mix knobs set at 20 to 22 on a full mix. Let's the thing punch more. Want to hear it on something heavy? sure you do.
On this track it's the last thing on the 2-mix:

Marion | THUNDERWORM

-pete
Thanks for the post. Not really my type of music, but I can hear that punch. I even hear a smoothness and glue in that mix.
Now I want one even more.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Had it 2 years now and I will keep it till I die. I always use my 3U on the mix bus
I am also going to do more tracking with on my vocals and maybe acoustic guitar
Thanks for sharing.

I don't really see a lot of talk about IGS gear. Are they like some secret weapons?

@anyone. Do you have any other IGS gear?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I don't really see a lot of talk about IGS gear. Are they like some secret weapons?

@anyone. Do you have any other IGS gear?

Thanks
No the Tubecore 3U Mastering Comp is the only piece I own IMO it is an outstanding value in a variable mu type comp , but agree not well known
I chose it over the Manley Vari Mu and the A Designs Nail which were the other two Mix Bus comps I was looking at.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
jerkrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No the Tubecore 3U Mastering Comp is the only piece I own IMO it is an outstanding value in a variable mu type comp , but agree not well known
I chose it over the Manley Vari Mu and the A Designs Nail which were the other two Mix Bus comps I was looking at.
ha...
that track above was mixed into 2 comps in series on the 2-mix:
first a Nail taking just a bit off the top and adding it's nice sparkle that it does even when not in GR, then right into the Tubecore standing on the mix pretty good... with the mix knobs dialed back a bit.

my Tubecore actually belonged to the Blasting Room originally... so if J. Livermore chimes in he could tell you more.

-p

Last edited by jerkrecords; 2 weeks ago at 04:09 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Thanks all for responses.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

i have several IGS pieces, love them all...


i flipped tubes in my 3U... its dark and thick...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
Has anyone tried IGS full sized LA2A clone?

I think it's called the One Levelling Amplifier, it's a 19" rack unit and looks to be very solid and professional

I never hear anyone ever mention it here on GS.

I was considering ordering one as a step up from a Warm or Stam clone.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords View Post
my Tubecore actually belonged to the Blasting Room originally... so if J. Livermore chimes in he could tell you more.

-p
Actually Jason and I already talked about the 3U when I visited the studio
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Has anyone tried IGS full sized LA2A clone?

I think it's called the One Levelling Amplifier, it's a 19" rack unit and looks to be very solid and professional

I never hear anyone ever mention it here on GS.

I was considering ordering one as a step up from a Warm or Stam clone.
i have 2 of the 500 One Leveling Amp's..... they are pretty nice for tracking.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
i have 2 of the 500 One Leveling Amp's..... they are pretty nice for tracking.
What chassis do you use them in?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
What chassis do you use them in?

Thanks
the IGS chassis.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
the IGS chassis.
Thanks.

Have you ever compared it to a real LA2A or LA2A clone like the STAM or Warm?

Thanks
tht
Old 2 weeks ago
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Thanks.

Have you ever compared it to a real LA2A or LA2A clone like the STAM or Warm?

Thanks
tht
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
Thanks for the feedback.

I suspected as much.

I think I'll have to save the extra dosh and get a real LA2A otherwise I don't think the itch is going to get properly scratched!
Old 3 days ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
You mean the historical unit superior.
Could you expand? Official comparison gives incredibly tight freq. response following.
Old 3 days ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voivodinevampyr View Post
You mean the historical unit superior.
Could you expand? Official comparison gives incredibly tight freq. response following.
no..... its all pretty clear what is what.... no need to hash it out.
Old 3 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
no..... its all pretty clear what is what.... no need to hash it out.
The lesson is always "pretty clear" to the teacher, ,,, " it does not compare" could hardly be more ambiguous. ( one could assume from that vague statement, that you mean the IGS is so good the LA2A "does not compare " as easily as assuming the other way around. Asking for clarification is not really hashing it out.

Last edited by KevWind; 2 days ago at 03:14 PM..
Old 3 days ago
  #26
Gear Nut
 

The original IGS Level One question was about the full-size rack unit. The "does not compare" response was about the 500-series version. Maybe they're the same, maybe not.
Old 2 days ago
  #27
So as to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The lesson is always "pretty clear" to the teacher, ,,, " it does not compare" could hardly be more ambiguous. ( one could just as easily assume from that vague statement, that you mean the IGS is so good the LA2A "does not compare " as easily as assuming the other way around. Asking for clarification is not really hashing it out.
Totally, Kev -we were already 2 in this thread to read it in the sense of IGSunit ‘[wo[n’t compare’ .
& am a v. happy user of Igor-designed gear
Old 2 days ago
  #28
Nothing against you

We could reasonably think it was in keeping with previous posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
i have several IGS pieces, love them all...


i flipped tubes in my 3U... its dark and thick...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump