The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Older vs Newer Distressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Would it be safe to "assume" that the UAD Distressor was modeled after the newest version of hardware unit?
Old 22nd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Would it be safe to "assume" that the UAD Distressor was modeled after the newest version of hardware unit?
I wouldn't say that at all... Only they know.
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneficial View Post
Anyone else have an experience with older vs newer Distressors and notice a difference sound wise? I'm almost ready to finally get one after many years of wanting one and would rather get a new one, but this thread has me wondering if there really is something more special about the sound of the older units due to the components used.
I know this isn’t quite a technical answer but it is worth as much of not more: I recently sold a El8 (not the x) which sounded awesome. Manufactured in 2015. Bought a new x version of the same year and it is a massive downgrade. I wish I knew why exactly but other than the obvious additional features the guts look the same - all I know is this one sounds considerably thinner than my old distrsssor. I used to be able to get such wide soundstage and this one just feels dead. And I trust my ears and my gut. And again it’s quite considerable. Not much help I know but fact is, they do sound quite different from unit to unit. If I were to buy another I’d sell this one to make SURE I got a matched pair I could stereo link. Very disappointed being this is my desert island peice of gear
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
This is from the new product alert thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post
UA’s team of DSP experts started with a complete circuit trace and component study of Dave Derr's selected golden unit. Simultaneously, the team analyzed three more Distressors representing the lifetime of the product

...and it left me wondering what that golden unit is.
Old 24th November 2017
Motown legend

Golden units are typically the hand-wired prototypes that manufactured units are checked against. I remember that the Waves SSL plug-ins were designed against SSL's golden units. It is the ideal way to make a plug-in.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you Bob
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

ok, got it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search