The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spectra Sonics V610 Comp/Limiters
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Spectra Sonics V610 Comp/Limiters

Does anyone have any feedback about these things? A pair isn't very cheap and there is very little user feedback online about these things. I am considering a trade that would involve a pair but it doesn't seem that there is a whole lot of info out there.
Old 3rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Bump

Me too I'm interested in these. I have heard of guys using them in mastering also.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

There is a studio in upstate NY I have worked at with a pair. I used them in an EP mix there some time back and wondered if they were broken. They were very dirty sounding - crunchy and sorta lo-fi. They were very cool for the job but more as an effect than simply a comp or limiter deal.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I should add that the pair did not sound the same and the pots were not totally reliable, which added to my curiosity if they were healthy or not. Either way, I used one on an acoustic guitar and it was really cool.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Addict

Spectra Sonic V610's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Does anyone have any feedback about these things? A pair isn't very cheap and there is very little user feedback online about these things. I am considering a trade that would involve a pair but it doesn't seem that there is a whole lot of info out there.

The V610's are super fast (think almost like a look ahead compressor). We tend to use them in front of another compressor like our 33609 for instance on drum O/H's. The v610's are fast enough to catch the transients and let the slower compressor do it's thing more efficiently.

We purchased our pair from VK. We had a problem with one of the LED light strips. Bill Cheney/Spectra Sonics handled the repair at no cost.

Happy customer here.

/Tim

www.tracehorse.com

Last edited by Deuce 225; 4th August 2017 at 01:43 AM..
Old 4th August 2017
Bill has done a cool update/further improvement of the classic, a lot of people don't really know how to use them. Those who do seem to love them. Two that come to mind right away are Pete Lyman and Matt Ross Spang. Both great engineers, just sayin'...

Bill really cares and is fanatical about being true and honest to the original spectra line, and makes things as close as possible to the classics [spot on].

Happy Recording!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Don't they have both a compression and a separate peak limiting circuit in them?
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I assisted on a session where we used them on some room mics. They were pretty crunchy and explosive, the kind of thing lots of people want on room mics.
Old 6th August 2017
We had one at my studio for a while. It was as has been described above: crunchy, dirty, very fast. I had difficulty dialing it in to a reliable-yet-subtle setting; it's so sensitive to input and so fast that it often behaves erratically. Of course, that very same trait makes it a super fun destruction box, so when I used it, it would typically either be as a special effect or as some sorta parallel mangler.
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

It's definitely unique. Compression starts at -40dBu and increases incrementally above that. I've been using it in front of a preamp - you can actually use it standalone because the output has 40dB of gain. The Threshold light holds the key to the 3 modes of operation. The 610 is not a one trick box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search