The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8801 Channel Strip Channel Strip Plugins
Old 29th July 2017
Here for the gear

Neve 8801 Channel Strip

Hi Guys,

I was looking for those of you who either have the Neve 8801 Channel Strip or extensive use with it to get some advice.

To quote the source:
The 8801’s signal path consists of our extremely high-quality Neve mic preamp, high and low pass filters, four bands of highly musical equalization, a compressor, gate, dynamics side chain and an insert point.

This box seems like a "1 stop shop" containing a mic pre, filters, eq, compressor, gate, etc. If so, why then do some opt for individual pieces that obviously will end up costing a lot more.

Seems to me that if the 8801 Channel Strip does everything up to a high quality level, it would be a good investment for considerably less money.

Thoughts?

Mark
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

What exactly are you asking?
Old 30th July 2017
Here for the gear

Some choose a channel strip like this for example. Others choose to have individual pieces for each piece of gear.How does this channel strip stack up against individual pieces?

Spending XXX $ vs 3X that just to have individual pieces that do the same thing seems to be cost prohibited for those on a budget.

Do you have this piece of gear, or have used it is my question to you. If so, how did all the components in this piece work for you?
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Addict

I did some research of this unit back in the day. Had this in bookmarks: Hallelujah - Single // Sheila Deck | Hallelujah. Find new Rock releases.

All tracks in that song are recorded via 8801.

If anyone else has any sound clips, maybe share?
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

Having a channelstrip with all necessary tools sometimes comes handy. Press a button and there you go instead of reaching for patchchords and checking what piece is not yet used and fits the job. It helps the workflow.

Other than that the 8801 is pretty much ok. I like the pre, filters are good, the EQ is usable but there are better ones out there, esp. the HF band. The compressor lacks a flexible attack control which makes it barely usable for me. All in all the 8801 is on the neutral side. If you´re looking for colour or mojo then look somewhere else.
Old 30th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
I did some research of this unit back in the day. Had this in bookmarks: Hallelujah - Single // Sheila Deck | Hallelujah. Find new Rock releases.

All tracks in that song are recorded via 8801.

If anyone else has any sound clips, maybe share?
Hi Mark,

Thank you for taking time to reply and send the link to check out. However, when I tried to access the link, it said "Forbidden".

Mark
Old 30th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Having a channelstrip with all necessary tools sometimes comes handy. Press a button and there you go instead of reaching for patchchords and checking what piece is not yet used and fits the job. It helps the workflow.

Other than that the 8801 is pretty much ok. I like the pre, filters are good, the EQ is usable but there are better ones out there, esp. the HF band. The compressor lacks a flexible attack control which makes it barely usable for me. All in all the 8801 is on the neutral side. If you´re looking for colour or mojo then look somewhere else.

Thanks Jensenmann for the information.
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDslammer View Post
Hi Mark,

Thank you for taking time to reply and send the link to check out. However, when I tried to access the link, it said "Forbidden".

Mark
That is weird. It works here. Maybe try a different browser? I'm using Chrome in Windows 10.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search