The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microtech Gefell M71 Capsule Cutting Out. Condenser Microphones
Old 25th July 2017
Here for the gear

Microtech Gefell M71 Capsule Cutting Out.

Hi.

I have a problem with my 71 were the capsule cuts out, presumably above a certain SPL, usually triggered by plosives or air/wind on the diaphragm.

After 20 years in storage the mic didn't work at all, but after leaving it out over a period it started to gradually come back to life. I suspect it's the capsule but it may well be within the circuitry.

Here's a link to a video showing the problem, the first part is me explaining the mics condition etc. but if you go to 4:27 there's examples of the mic cutting out. I'd massively appreciate any help with working out what the problem is and the cost of a fix.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBcwkdoE-GE

Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru

I have sent you a PM.

I have also forwarded the link to your video to the Service Dept. at Microtech Gefell in Germany as this is a good video and should help them estimate the repair costs.

The data sheet for the mic. is HERE - although this is the UM70 head, rather than the M71 head, the spec. for cardioid should be the same.

I hope this helps.
Old 25th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have sent you a PM.

I have also forwarded the link to your video to the Service Dept. at Microtech Gefell in Germany as this is a good video and should help them estimate the repair costs.

The data sheet for the mic. is HERE - although this is the UM70 head, rather than the M71 head, the spec. for cardioid should be the same.

I hope this helps.
Cheers John. I've PM'd you.
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harry View Post
Cheers John. I've PM'd you.

Seen it and replied
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Guru

Gefell found the video excellent for finding what was wrong and I have sent you an e-mail with all the details.

The loose XLR was, of course, normal (Neumann Berlin do the same) as it helps to make better contact with the cable connector.
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Guru

this helped mine to stay together ...
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech Gefell M71 Capsule Cutting Out.-gefell-screw.jpg  
Old 29th July 2017
I see it's on ebay. I recently got a mint, newish one on there for less than £600. If that helps with pricing a sale.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi community. It seems I have the same problem with my U71. Could somebody sent me the companys replay and find out if theres a solution? Thanks in advance.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzeid View Post
Hi community. It seems I have the same problem with my U71. Could somebody sent me the companys replay and find out if theres a solution? Thanks in advance.
What problem?

A loose XLR is normal (like all Neumann mics).

If it's something else please say exactly what it is and I can ask Gefell.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harry View Post
Hi.

I have a problem with my 71 were the capsule cuts out, presumably above a certain SPL, usually triggered by plosives or air/wind on the diaphragm.

After 20 years in storage the mic didn't work at all, but after leaving it out over a period it started to gradually come back to life. I suspect it's the capsule but it may well be within the circuitry.

Here's a link to a video showing the problem, the first part is me explaining the mics condition etc. but if you go to 4:27 there's examples of the mic cutting out. I'd massively appreciate any help with working out what the problem is and the cost of a fix.

YouTube

I understood the problem was the capsule cuts out, as in the video. Same problem here.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzeid View Post
I understood the problem was the capsule cuts out, as in the video. Same problem here.
Then it needs to go back to Gefell for checking.

Contact the Gefell Distributor in your country who will advise you.

Gefell microphones can only be repaired in the factory as Gefell will not release parts to other people. But you do get the assurance that the mic. is back to full spec. as they put it back in the anechoic chamber to re-measure against its original specs.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Guru

see Post #6 .. the Capsule and the powersupply are a compression fitting .. when it loses it's good connection you need to make the connection better .. you can send it in or you can get a Screw !!! haha, thats sounds very wrong !! get a Screw !! lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search