The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Electronic M3000 vs Reverb 4000
Old 30th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I would say that M4000 and PCM92 cover pretty much all bases.
A lot of bases, yes, but not all.

There are still things that I would want an Eventide Hxxx unit for - and others that require a Bricasti M7 (or two).

Of the four, the one that is furthest from being equalled by current plug-in offerings is the M7, IMO, but all four still justify their space in a rack IMO.
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
A lot of bases, yes, but not all.

There are still things that I would want an Eventide Hxxx unit for - and others that require a Bricasti M7 (or two).

Of the four, the one that is furthest from being equalled by current plug-in offerings is the M7, IMO, but all four still justify their space in a rack IMO.

H8000 more for pronounced effects (my all time fav digital box) and I use M7 as not main reverb machine (contrary to GS majority IMO) since its early days, but in reality Lex plugins + Lex HW + M4000 provide all reverbs needed (talking rock, pop, electronica genres here). Two Lex 300L are continuously on duty in my synths setup, so I don't even consider them separate from synths.
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
H8000 more for pronounced effects (my all time fav digital box) and I use M7 as not main reverb machine (contrary to GS majority IMO) since its early days, but in reality Lex plugins + Lex HW + M4000 provide all reverbs needed (talking rock, pop, electronica genres here). Two Lex 300L are continuously on duty in my synths setup, so I don't even consider them separate from synths.
Interesting comments - and I largely agree about the H8000 and its antecedents. The reverb they do tends toward exciting/otherworldly and effect-like, rather than naturalistic, at least as compared to others we are discussing. That's not a bad thing necessarily, just part of their nature and heritage. And of course they do many things other than reverb, and that really where they shine IMO.

That aside, I'd be interested to hear more about what you are using the M7 for. It's a powerful system, but I think you're right that most look to it for its naturalism in creation of 'spaces'.
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry for the necro here, but I just noticed that on SW, the Reverb 4000 is now only $1299?

That is a 50% price cut from before, no?
Old 18th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Sorry for the necro here, but I just noticed that on SW, the Reverb 4000 is now only $1299?

That is a 50% price cut from before, no?
Shhhhh. I am saving to buy.

Yeah, been seeing a few of these around at $1k. It's a good time to grab some vintage reverbs.
Old 27th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Sorry for the necro here, but I just noticed that on SW, the Reverb 4000 is now only $1299? That is a 50% price cut from before, no?
Unbelievable price for this amazing machine. Just bought it!
Old 15th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi All

Apologies for the thread necro, but there seem to be a few 4000 owners here. I recently came by one, and have been very much enjoying it over/along-side my plugin staples, and the extemely useable Icon editor software. Even got Icon to work from Win 10 by following instructions in another thread.

My unit is v1.01 and giving in to my complete-ist side, I bought a blank 2MB SRAM card to attempt to update to the final v1.11 firmware and obtain some of the later presets from M5000.

So, the SRAM card works great for saving and loading banks. However there's no way I can get it to do the "Dump binary file to card" function in Icon for prepping the card to update the 4000 firmware. I get "Dumping binary file to card failed. Data transmission timed out." every time. Have tried old Icon versions on old OS machines too.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe that my old 1.01 firmware doesn't include this capability for dumping the binary file to the card. Either that or the card I bought is not compatible. But formating it and saving banks works great on the 4000.

Has anyone done the firmware update with this method?
Would anyone with later firmware unit and Icon s/w be willing to have me send them my card and try doing the dump to card for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I can’t help you because I can’t open the Icon editor software, so I don’t know which is my R4000 firmware version.

You have mentioned that you even got the Icon to work from Windows 10 by following the instructions in another thread. Do you remember what thread it was or at least a clue to find it? I participated in a long thread called “TC Electronic Reverb 4000 not recognized by Windows 10” but couldn’t get a solution despite the advice of some members.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by potscrubber View Post
Hi All

Apologies for the thread necro, but there seem to be a few 4000 owners here. I recently came by one, and have been very much enjoying it over/along-side my plugin staples, and the extemely useable Icon editor software. Even got Icon to work from Win 10 by following instructions in another thread.

My unit is v1.01 and giving in to my complete-ist side, I bought a blank 2MB SRAM card to attempt to update to the final v1.11 firmware and obtain some of the later presets from M5000.

So, the SRAM card works great for saving and loading banks. However there's no way I can get it to do the "Dump binary file to card" function in Icon for prepping the card to update the 4000 firmware. I get "Dumping binary file to card failed. Data transmission timed out." every time. Have tried old Icon versions on old OS machines too.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe that my old 1.01 firmware doesn't include this capability for dumping the binary file to the card. Either that or the card I bought is not compatible. But formating it and saving banks works great on the 4000.

Has anyone done the firmware update with this method?
Would anyone with later firmware unit and Icon s/w be willing to have me send them my card and try doing the dump to card for me?

Thanks in advance!
What version of Icon are you running? I'm on v.8_4_00_30457 on Windows 10 64 Bit.

My firmware version (Briefly shown on the hardware unit's startup screen, SteelyDani) is v.1.11. I can't remember whether it was pre-installed on my unit, or whether I updated it, but it definitely wasn't via PCMCIA card.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
I can’t help you because I can’t open the Icon editor software, so I don’t know which is my R4000 firmware version.

You have mentioned that you even got the Icon to work from Windows 10 by following the instructions in another thread. Do you remember what thread it was or at least a clue to find it? I participated in a long thread called “TC Electronic Reverb 4000 not recognized by Windows 10” but couldn’t get a solution despite the advice of some members.
Hi - yeah it was post 17 by yannod917 that got me going. I read that thread first before my first attempt. Also my mb is somewhat old (P67BG / i7 2600) which may be helping me. Sorry I can't improve on michal's suggestions.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13769 View Post
What version of Icon are you running? I'm on v.8_4_00_30457 on Windows 10 64 Bit.

My firmware version (Briefly shown on the hardware unit's startup screen, SteelyDani) is v.1.11. I can't remember whether it was pre-installed on my unit, or whether I updated it, but it definitely wasn't via PCMCIA card.
Yeah I'm working with 8_4_00_30457 on Windows 10 64 Bit too. But I also tried it with 6.2 on an old XP machine, and an old OSX Lion machine, and 3.3 on the XP too! The Dump to Card progress bar never moves off 0% on any of them, which makes me think that maybe R4K v1.01 doesn't know what the heck it's being asked to do!
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah I'm working with 8_4_00_30457 on Windows 10 64 Bit too. But I also tried it with 6.2 on an old XP machine, and an old OSX Lion machine, and 3.3 on the XP too! The Dump to Card progress bar never moves off 0% on any of them, which makes me think that maybe R4K v1.01 doesn't know what the heck it's being asked to do!
Maybe.

Is it not possible to update firmware via Icon? (I can't remember)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13769 View Post
Maybe.

Is it not possible to update firmware via Icon? (I can't remember)
Well, there are several TC sources that describe the process to do it (which I followed), so I guess so...
Old 16th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

To be honest, I prefer Relab VSR S24 to both - I sold TC 4000 after getting it. It's a 1/1 stereo emulation of VSS6.1 which is only available in TC 6000, and it's just stunning. Large Warm Hall preset is my favourite reverb preset ever written.
Old 16th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds View Post
FUD?
Fow weevewb.........
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

VSR S24 is my to go for all subtle voice overs commercials spaces. It’s here but not in a way and create a very nice space around the voice.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

I'm considering buying a used R4000 but have some questions:

Does the latest version of the Icon application work with Windows-10?

Does the R4000 have a global 'Wet' setting, so that all presets can be set to output only the effect signal?

One very annoying thing about the TC-Fireworx is that if it is turned off with the front power switch and the studio is then powered down, when the main power is switched back on the Fireworx turns itself back on too. Drives me mad. Does the R4000 suffer from the same thing?

Last edited by fenderchris; 29th August 2019 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 29th August 2019 | Show parent
GBP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
To be honest, I prefer Relab VSR S24 to both - I sold TC 4000 after getting it. It's a 1/1 stereo emulation of VSS6.1 which is only available in TC 6000, and it's just stunning. Large Warm Hall preset is my favourite reverb preset ever written.
Having read your opinion I requested a further ilok demo (used it up some time ago),in order to compare the relab VSR S24 and my TC 4000. I took on board your opinion including your favourite preset and conclusion, whilst looking forward to perhaps releasing some money to buy something else...
Nah doesn’t compare, not sure how you were able to come to that conclusion to justify or substantiate. Each to their own I suppose, that’s why we like different music. To add a like does not make it right or even so, for what do we really truly know? R4000 smashes VSR S24 in my opinion
GBP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderchris View Post
I'm considering buying a used M4000 but have some questions:

Does the M4000 have a global 'Wet' setting, so that all presets can be set to output only the effect signal?

One very annoying thing about the TC-Fireworx is that if it is turned off with the front power switch and the studio is then powered down, when the main power is switched back on the Fireworx turns itself back on too. Drives me mad. Does the M4000 suffer from the same thing?
Windows 10 not sure as I use icon on Mac 12.6

‘Wet’ setting, not sure as not there or have not used, but there is certainly a global ‘bypass’. Pretty sure there should well be or solo the return. Thinking about it I am sure there is a dry amount and and separate wet. Pretty professional so don’t worry!

R4000 not M4000 (there isn’t one as far as I am aware) front power switch... yes on both the reverb 4000 and m3000 they will turn themselves back on..
Only way is to use the switches on the back or use an extension lead with it's own dedicated on/off switch. I agree with you it is annoying and something to do with the EU and their safety measures.

Hope that helps for you
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
Windows 10 not sure as I use icon on Mac 12.6

‘Wet’ setting, not sure as not there or have not used, but there is certainly a global ‘bypass’. Pretty sure there should well be or solo the return. Thinking about it I am sure there is a dry amount and and separate wet. Pretty professional so don’t worry!

R4000 not M4000 (there isn’t one as far as I am aware) front power switch... yes on both the reverb 4000 and m3000 they will turn themselves back on..
Only way is to use the switches on the back or use an extension lead with it's own dedicated on/off switch. I agree with you it is annoying and something to do with the EU and their safety measures.

Hope that helps for you
Thanks for the rep!y. Yes, R4000 not M4000.

Original post corrected.
Old 31st August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderchris View Post
I'm considering buying a used R4000 but have some questions:

Does the R4000 have a global 'Wet' setting, so that all presets can be set to output only the effect signal?
TC Electronic Reverb 4000 not recognized by Windows 10

Yes.
Old 1st September 2019 | Show parent
GBP
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi All
Even got Icon to work from Win 10 by following instructions !
Guess all is good ?
📝 Reply