The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pye
Old 23rd July 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 
Pops's Avatar
Pye

Hello.

I've just been offered a Pye compressor. I'm not too clued up about them apart from them being quite rare and sought after.

I know that they have quite a few different models, but can anyone give me some info on what they could be worth, and their sound?

Thanks.

P.S. Here's a picture of the same model:
Attached Thumbnails
Pye-img_4204.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2017
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
I've heard them on a vintage recording panel I was on at Webster University. They do the super old school squishy thing really well if you push them a little. I'd test them out, because most techs aren't going to be familiar, so if something's not right it coulde become a hassle.
Old 24th July 2017
  #3
Gear Head
 
Pops's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I've heard them on a vintage recording panel I was on at Webster University. They do the super old school squishy thing really well if you push them a little. I'd test them out, because most techs aren't going to be familiar, so if something's not right it coulde become a hassle.
Thanks.

It's fully serviced and works perfectly. Even has xlr connectors put in the back. Years of life in it. Did you dig the sound?
Old 24th July 2017
  #4
Gear Head
 

I have a pair of them in my rack. Secret weapon in my opinion. What is the price tag? They are not very common.
Old 24th July 2017
  #5
Gear Head
 
Pops's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmjay View Post
I have a pair of them in my rack. Secret weapon in my opinion. What is the price tag? They are not very common.
Hi.

They were not cheap, put it that way. But I had some gear to swap too.

What do you use them on as your secret weapon?
Old 24th July 2017
  #6
Gear Head
 

I have had great results with them across a drum sub group, and with bass. Can be fantastic with vocals too. Are your ones modded for switchable stereo / dual mono?
Old 24th July 2017
  #7
Gear Head
 
Pops's Avatar
Yeah, got a link switch on the back.
Old 24th July 2017
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

try them on acoustic guitar. magic.

i have four in my console, i use them mainly for bass and guitars. haven't really figured out how to make them work on drums yet.
Old 24th July 2017
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Thanks.

It's fully serviced and works perfectly. Even has xlr connectors put in the back. Years of life in it. Did you dig the sound?
I did
Old 25th July 2017
  #10
Gear Head
 

PM me if you need a copy of the manual.
Old 11th February 2018
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdom View Post
haven't really figured out how to make them work on drums yet.
On drums

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump