The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aside from NS-10s, what are the most popular nearfields in hi-end studios? Studio Monitors
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Aside from NS-10s, what are the most popular nearfields in hi-end studios?

I think the NS-10s are the most popular nearfield of all time, no? What is the 2nd most popular? Just curious....
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

I would say that varies with region and country. In LA and Nashville, we have a a lot of studios with ATC. I saw Teddy from Barefoot and he and I were talking that we see each other's speakers in studios frequently in those two markets. In other places, like Austin, there was a lot of Pelonis sold. In Europe, I think you still find a lot of Genelec. So I don't think this is a universal thing. I think you have to narrow it down to "in LA" or "In Frankfurt". Etc.

Brad
Old 20th July 2017
Amphion, Genelec, ATC. I own and love my Amphions.
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbinti View Post
What is the 2nd most popular?
Various variations of horrortones (Aura- Avan- Ref- etc.).
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Based on all the studio's I have visited and also based on online information, I would say the ProAc Studio 100 is absolutely in the running for the "most popular studio monitor besides the NS-10" award.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Seeing lots of ATCs. I love my SCM25As. Changed the way I mix in a good way.
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Here in Argentina it's Focal Twins and Genelec mains, almost every big studio. (+ns10s)
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Probably Genelec 1031 or 1032 as they were always paired with Ns10s in commercial facilities throughout the 90s and early 2000s (still the case in many facilities).
Old 22nd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Escobar View Post
Amphion, Genelec, ATC. I own and love my Amphions.
Amphion are VERY popular at the moment..but by no means the most common! Give it 10 years maybe.

For "full range nearfield" (most studios I've worked in have NS10s, nearfields, mains), Genelec are most common on the two continents I've worked on. Probably because at one point there wasn't a great deal of competition for affordable but full range?

Focal are pretty common these days too (personally can't stand them but many love them).

I'm not really sure there's a fullrange nearfield as ubiquitous as the NS10 though.
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

I'd honestly be very surprised if the NS10 is still the most popular monitor used around. Genelecs are certainly up there in an awful lot of studios.
Old 22nd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
I'd honestly be very surprised if the NS10 is still the most popular monitor used around. Genelecs are certainly up there in an awful lot of studios.
They're almost always found in commercial studios.

Of course, the number of owner/operator and private rooms is more significant.

The OP did say "of all time" which means that even if in recent years they're not as common, it probably doesn't affect things that much!

Also means any monitor launched in the last few years (like the aforementioned amphions) is out.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Addict

Seems everyone has their own wishful thinking and motivation.
Barefoot is by far the most popular nearfield in recent years.
I see this monitor at almost any studio I get to work at, MM27 is the widest spread with the MM45 catching up recently. Working with some electronic music artists I find the MM35 and the recent Footprint01 making inroads. The lucky enough to get their order delivered. Seems the 01 are so popular supply do not match the demand.
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Seeing lots of ATCs. I love my SCM25As. Changed the way I mix in a good way.

Used to see a lot of studios with ATC and Genelec in both the states and in England. I also used to see a lot of huge soffit mounted jbl speakers...which almost never got turned on until the mix was done and really it was only to impress the clients.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Addict

Avantones would look nice beside Ns10. And some Sony monochromatic television.
Old 22nd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Seems everyone has their own wishful thinking and motivation.
Barefoot is by far the most popular nearfield in recent years.
I see this monitor at almost any studio I get to work at, MM27 is the widest spread with the MM45 catching up recently. Working with some electronic music artists I find the MM35 and the recent Footprint01 making inroads. The lucky enough to get their order delivered. Seems the 01 are so popular supply do not match the demand.
I think THAT's wishful thinking as well!

Barefoot are great, but far from ubiquitous in the way the OP is asking. Would be great to have them as a "standard" though!
Old 23rd July 2017
The same Japanese guy who created the NS10's created the Yamaha HS5 monitor which has more bass and less harsh top end than the original NS10's. I use them in my studio everyday.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS5
Old 23rd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
The same Japanese guy who created the NS10's created the Yamaha HS5 monitor which has more bass and less harsh top end than the original NS10's. I use them in my studio everyday.

I've had HS5s (I was selling them for a friend)...I actually quite liked them for what they were.

Which isn't anything like an NS10...and like I said above, the question on the thread is "what is the next most common monitor". I'm yet to see HS5s in any mid-high end commercial room.
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

I still see ProAcs and Mackie 824s in a lot of studios here in the U.K., but they're generally all struggling for money (!!) so I always take my own...
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear
Pretty much every studio I work in has NS-10s and a set of Genelecs. Usually the 10 series. I like the 80 series Genelecs better, but the 10 series are also great! I also see a lot of Aura/Avantones.

Standard really seems to be Yamahas + Detail monitors. Sometimes I see Focal or Barefoots
Old 31st July 2017
I think the 10xx serie from Genelec is about to become one of the classics and are starting to come back from the mid -00s bashing. I personally like the 1031 the best, hifi and detailed.
Old 31st July 2017
I'm noticing more people using neumann monitors, but I still see NS10's, genelec and ATC's a lot, in england you'll see more PMC even KEF hifi speakers, there aren't that many high end studios left though...
Old 31st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
That was Akira Nakamura, who also designed the MSP5 Studio and, as his last speaker before retirement, the MSP7 Studio (which I am contemplating buying) and the NS-1000 which I use regularly as midfields. I didn't know he designed the HS5.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Maniac

aside NS10 and Mixcubes, Tannoy NFM / DMT belongs here I think
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search