The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES 16 LS-ADAT card, is it worth it ? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th July 2017
Here for the gear

AES 16 LS-ADAT card, is it worth it ?

Hi guys, I was wondering how to effectively use the LS-ADAT channels. I would like to use two channels at 192 for monitoring so to avoid wasting two channels on my aurora 16. How is that done ? Are there ADAT to analog cables ? Or is there any interface that can do that ? Is it even worth it ?

Thanks
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

How is your Aurora currently connected? Is it the primary interface, or connected to your computer via another interface, or Lynx AES card?
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Ah, I get it. You have a 16e and are wondering about the daughter card.

Assuming you have an empty slot on your Aurora, you would need an LT-ADAT card for the Aurora, or be connected to another Adat compatible interface for monitoring.
Old 20th July 2017
Here for the gear

Ok, but that kind of defeats the purpose ... I wanted to get the ADAT daughter card on a separated fashion from the aurora to avoid wasting I/O on the Aurora for the monitoring. I guess I'm going to need to get another Aurora 16 and another AES or maybe a lynx 2x2 converter card to get dedicated I/O for monitoring.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcreatorx View Post
Ok, but that kind of defeats the purpose ... I wanted to get the ADAT daughter card on a separated fashion from the aurora to avoid wasting I/O on the Aurora for the monitoring. I guess I'm going to need to get another Aurora 16 and another AES or maybe a lynx 2x2 converter card to get dedicated I/O for monitoring.
So you just want to monitor out from the aes-16e card via Adat out? Yes, that would work, providing your monitor controller can connect via Adat. You are gaining additional I/O with the 16e daughter-card. It's been several years since I had that setup, but it should be fine. You would just set up routing in the Lynx mixer.

You might want to drop a line to Paul at Lynx. He can confirm. Just let him know what you are trying to achieve.
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys, I was wondering how to effectively use the LS-ADAT channels. I would like to use two channels at 192 for monitoring so to avoid wasting two channels on my aurora 16. How is that done ? Are there ADAT to analog cables ? Or is there any interface that can do that ? Is it even worth it ?

Thanks
I believe the adat daughtercard will add more digital hardware I/O channels, so you'll need another converter to use them. if you went this route, you could add a Hilo, or any other 2-channel converter with it. Nevertheless, you need another DA converter if you want to monitor without using channels on the primary converter.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceVandergraph View Post
I believe the adat daughtercard will add more digital hardware I/O channels, so you'll need another converter to use them. if you went this route, you could add a Hilo, or any other 2-channel converter with it. Nevertheless, you need another DA converter if you want to monitor without using channels on the primary converter.
Yes, thank you! that's what I was trying to get at, you've explained it much more clearly than I did!

I was using a Hilo with my Aurora/16e/LS-Adat when I had that setup.
Old 20th July 2017
Here for the gear

So to make sure the D/A conversion matches the Aurora at 192 I should get a Hilo right ?
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So to make sure the D/A conversion matches the Aurora at 192 I should get a Hilo right ?

No, Hilo won't work via ADAT @192kHz. That's one of the limitations of the Hilo, with only one optical spdif/adat port.

You would either need something that can convert adat from the daughtercard to AES/EBU first, or look at other options, such as another Aurora 8 with the LT-ADAT card, for example. Unfortunately, it can get expensive quickly.

From the manual:

Hilo’s Optical inputs and outputs can be used for either stereo SPDIF operation, or 8 channel ADAT operation (at 48 kHz). Hilo also supports the S/MUX protocol for ADAT Light pipe operation at higher sample rates.

The ADAT Ports support 4-channels at sample rates of 88.2/96 kHz. Sample rates of 176.4/192kHz are not supported for ADAT S/MUX.

https://ftp.lynxstudio.com/go/wp-con...0227-Press.pdf
Old 20th July 2017
Here for the gear

Too bad. I think it's just better to ditch the LS-ADAT and get another Aurora then. Using the LT-ADAT on another Aurora would be still wasting the IO in that Aurora to get ADAT out when you can just get another AES16e and get the 192 on all regular channels of the Aurora. I think I'll just ditch the LS-ADAT card.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search