The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody mixing Albums on digital consoles? If so, whats your setup? Consoles
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody mixing Albums on digital consoles? If so, whats your setup?

Hi all,

Everybody seems to be talking about analog boards all the to e so I wonder:

Do Digital mixer boards get used at all on Commercial releases (count indie in) for mixdown of primarily musical projects (maybe film music too)? Or are they "relegated" to live and/or post production & broadcast basically?

Is anybody using a digital console to mix albums? Or are plugins+ DAW always 1st choice, even when it comes to working fast?

If you are using digital mixers, what is your set up-work flow, do you still go hybrid with analog (doing a double ADDA conversion) or do you also use plugins before maybe using digital console channels?

I wonder if plugins are necessarily better than channel processing on decent digital consoles these days? Or is it the DAW flexibility which always wins hands down?

Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

.... Guess the answer is...
...."yeah man everybody is mixing on a Digital console, c'mon man!" ???
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

The only digital console I would even consider in 2017 is the Axiom MT. It would have to be too cheap to pass up. Worked on an Oxford once. Those are very nice as well.
Old 22nd July 2017
Generally speaking, No. Of course there will always be a few exceptions.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

I would quite happily mix on a DM2000.
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Im mixing in a DM2000. Procesing with Nebula and Accua plugins, high end ADDA converters and some analog gear.
Old 24th July 2017
I believe I read somewhere the newest James Taylor record was mixed on a DM2000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
Im mixing in a DM2000. Procesing with Nebula and Accua plugins, high end ADDA converters and some analog gear.
Interesting...
So do you process with Acudtica plugs in sour daw then send (how? Adat?) the Channels to the DM2000 which does what exactly? Summing and? Automation maybe? Do you use any of the DM2000 Processing and what do you think of it? So you put your Analog in Sends/Inserts of the DM2000?
Thanks
Old 24th July 2017
They're not uncommon in the film world - where you might have multiple Pro Tools rigs, one running the score, one for dialogue etc. Eg Euphonix System 5.

Although even there, it seems like the DAW controller is taking over. Abbey Road's Penthouse studio used to have a Neve Capricorn in the early 2000s (where they mixed Lord of the Rings), and I believe they replaced it with another digital desk. Now it's got an Avid S6 apparently.

I can't think of a commercial studio off the top of my head that runs a digital console - when computers weren't so powerful they were pretty useful, now I'm not sure what a digital console would offer that a DAW plus controller wouldn't - and the DAW/controller setup has a number of advantages (integration, delay compensation, scaleability, familiarity etc).

In the live world - very different of course.
Old 24th July 2017
Michael Wagener ran a Sony DMX-R100 for quite a long time. I'm sure he used it on a whole bunch of successful commercial releases. He replaced it with a SSL AWS900 as few years ago if my memory is right.

I think digital desks in studio work are quickly being wedged between a rock and a hard place. 64 bit processing and control surface protocols like EUCON now allow users to combine a lot of computer processing with large format control surfaces like the Avid S6. There has also been a whole heap of reasonably cost effective analogue consoles with quite intricately implemented DAW-layer automation (SSL's delta fader and sigma for example,) hitting the marking in recent years. Both seem to quite neatly bridge the gap between digital wizardry and analogue-touchy-feely-doohickies.

Peter Gabriel had a Sony OXF-R3 until 2013 when it stopped working... he sold it on eBay with the proceeds going to charity. I'm sure it notched up some commercial releases!
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Interesting...
So do you process with Acudtica plugs in sour daw then send (how? Adat?) the Channels to the DM2000 which does what exactly? Summing and? Automation maybe? Do you use any of the DM2000 Processing and what do you think of it? So you put your Analog in Sends/Inserts of the DM2000?
Thanks
I send the audio to the DM2000 via adat. The audio is procesed in the DAW so the DM2k sum, route busses and the aux 1-4 to two external reverbs (M7 & M300). The channel eq and comp are workable for little touches here and there. The automation is very reliable in the DM2k but I do almost all the auto in the daw. Also, I put a dither in all the DAW outputs. The audio returns to the DAW via adat for bounce.

I have the external converters attched to the DAW so all the inserts go in the DAW. Previusly I had the converters attached to the DM2k but the last works better for my workflow.

I know it is a little complicated but it works for me. Let me know if you need more details.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

i do use a digital mixing board for album mixing:

studer vista 1

the board feels way more accessible than any plugin running on a computer plus it's got hundrets of knobs, adda conversion (if needed), multiple (actually, almost any) digital i/os, filters, dynamics, efx already built in.

before the studer, i used dm2000, dmx-r100 or analog mci, amek, neve, ssl
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I send the audio to the DM2000 via adat. The audio is procesed in the DAW so the DM2k sum, route busses and the aux 1-4 to two external reverbs (M7 & M300). The channel eq and comp are workable for little touches here and there. The automation is very reliable in the DM2k but I do almost all the auto in the daw. Also, I put a dither in all the DAW outputs. The audio returns to the DAW via adat for bounce.

I have the external converters attched to the DAW so all the inserts go in the DAW. Previusly I had the converters attached to the DM2k but the last works better for my workflow.

I know it is a little complicated but it works for me. Let me know if you need more details.
Hi! Thanks.
Still, there's nothing really that you couldn't do without the DM, (can't you route buses to reverb from daw??) so I wonder, why you use it?
I adk cos I was going to do a setup similar to yours, but do not see the point of adding a Console really...unless I use it's eq/dynamics at least, but I guess Acustica + plugs sound better

What you think, is a digital console redundant?
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Addict

There is nothing you can't do in a DAW. Just a few years ago, mixing in the DAW didn't sound right for me . Also, you can listen the live signal without computer latency and I use the control room section. The eqs and comp work fine for little adjusts but they are not mojo tools. The mojo come from analog and Nebula plugins.

I like to work in a desk, with my hands. I'd preffer to work in a analog desk but the recall is a must in my case. So I will keep the DM2k for now.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search