The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 or Genelec 8340A? Help!
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Head

ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 or Genelec 8340A or Amphion? Help!

So as the post states, I need help deciding between the ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 or Genelec 8340A monitors. I will be pairing these either way with a Sub as I mix and produce mainly electronic synthpop music and really need the low end. I'd pair the ATCs with a Subwoofer Pros 12 Sub and the Genelecs with the Genelec 10" Sub. The Genelec 8350A is also an option for me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by anaudiopro; 18th July 2017 at 07:59 PM..
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

ATC is more oriented towards engineers, Genelec more towards musicians. For mixing purposes ATC is gorgeous, but I also like its musicality. To my ears Genelecs are too velvety. Depends what flavour you like...honey-vanilla or mint.

,Andrei
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Head

What if we throw Amphion into the mix as an option? Say the One18s or even Two18s?
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSanctum View Post
What if we throw Amphion into the mix as an option? Say the One18s or even Two18s?
I don't see why you would that. I have the old 20s with Vifa tweeters and I can't find words how good and versatile this are. People who have the mkII say they're even more amazing. The 20s are probably in Top5 of best nearfields money can buy, beautiful built, engineering, support, the RollsRoyce of monitors. I was also interested in Amphions, beautiful support there too, but I'm not so sure about built quality, I've heard of many broken tweeters in one of their models, and to me it sounds like bad engineering. It could be something minor, I don't know, but as a RollsRoyce, when you get ATC it lasts and delivers, whatever model you may pick. If you feel adventurous and paying less you should check the Amphions, there are many who swear by them. Contact Amphion(and again, they really do provide great support) and arrange to demo some of their models at your location, you probably have to pay just the shipping fees. Cheers!
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
I don't see why you would that. I have the old 20s with Vifa tweeters and I can't find words how good and versatile this are. People who have the mkII say they're even more amazing. The 20s are probably in Top5 of best nearfields money can buy, beautiful built, engineering, support, the RollsRoyce of monitors. I was also interested in Amphions, beautiful support there too, but I'm not so sure about built quality, I've heard of many broken tweeters in one of their models, and to me it sounds like bad engineering. It could be something minor, I don't know, but as a RollsRoyce, when you get ATC it lasts and delivers, whatever model you may pick. If you feel adventurous and paying less you should check the Amphions, there are many who swear by them. Contact Amphion(and again, they really do provide great support) and arrange to demo some of their models at your location, you probably have to pay just the shipping fees. Cheers!
Oh man, I hate to hear that Amphion might be having issues. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Two18s. I really hope this isn't true and is not an issue.
Old 18th July 2017
for $6k im sure its not a common thing with the two18. Im sure youll love them.
Even though im rooting for atc and biased because i have the scm45s :-)
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh man, I hate to hear that Amphion might be having issues. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Two18s. I really hope this isn't true and is not an issue.
You should "hope" based on facts, because it's about your money, so maybe investigate a little. Someone from L.A. reported this. All things considered I'm sure you won't have to worry about fixing whatever problem might come up due to Amphion excellent support.

Best,
Andrei
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
You should "hope" based on facts, because it's about your money, so maybe investigate a little. Someone from L.A. reported this. All things considered I'm sure you won't have to worry about fixing whatever problem might come up due to Amphion excellent support.

Best,
Andrei
I'm sorry, but your "facts" simply might not be true. If you'd like to cite all your specific sources I'm all ears... Thanks.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry, but your "facts" simply might not be true. If you'd like to cite all your specific sources I'm all ears... Thanks.
Amphion... Beautiful

Some reports here, as well. I can't cite or prove anything, I've heard from people in L.A. surprised of how many Amphions were in service for tweeter related issues. You have to investigate this for yourself if interested. Cheers!
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

For mixing I prefer the ATCs. I have some 20s for sale in classified ads. If you can afford the 45s their awesome too.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Addict

You should add Three18 to equasion. Destroying competition.

Last edited by veks; 22nd July 2017 at 07:58 PM..
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Head

Go to the following thread to see what I went with:

Mind officially blown by Amphion!

Amphion FTW!
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Nut
I say both! My Amphion One18's and ATC 20 mk2's are both awesome, neither one will get in the way of getting work done.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think it's advertising from the OP. Just someone excited about their new purchase.

I don't believe the OP has mentioned what they came from speaker-wise. Someone "advertising" would not post such poor frequency response graphs (both in the low-end and the overall FR -- just look at the top left full response.) I'd guess the OP is just new to a better quality speaker over what he had before with all the superlatives.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Your buddy is wrong. Ethan was being kind. There were massive dips in the high frequency range and odd behaviour (and this is based on the trend of the graph). The deviation in the low end (lol "no smoothing" -- for evaluation, no one smooths the graphs on the low end because it is unnecessary to get a bearing; both the vari-acoustic smoothing and psycho-acoustic smoothing don't either) deviated by a massive amount of at least +-5dB with odd dips (small Q). It's pretty easy to get these areas as a smooth response (even if the overall curvature is not the target curve) so what you are doing wrong (or wrong with your room) is hard to gather.

And yes, I've used REW. Extensively.
I also see you've pulled your poor graph. Can't double check now but remember seeing comb filtering too in your graph.

You're excited about new speakers. Great. But your graph does not show an even response or a "professional" or "extremely dialed in" level of room. Can we blame the speakers or the room? -- probably the room so I'm not laying it at Amphions feet for the FR.

And your "barely working" sub is fully working. Room reinforcement is not giving you a whole octave below the Amphion's specs. That's the sub (possibly with too high a crossover and partially out of phase which is making the odd dips.)
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Your buddy is wrong. Ethan was being kind. There were massive dips in the high frequency range and odd behaviour (and this is based on the trend of the graph). The deviation in the low end (lol "no smoothing" -- for evaluation, no one smooths the graphs on the low end because it is unnecessary to get a bearing; both the vari-acoustic smoothing and psycho-acoustic smoothing don't either) deviated by a massive amount of at least +-5dB with odd dips (small Q). It's pretty easy to get these areas as a smooth response (even if the overall curvature is not the target curve) so what you are doing wrong (or wrong with your room) is hard to gather.

And yes, I've used REW. Extensively.
I also see you've pulled your poor graph. Can't double check now but remember seeing comb filtering too in your graph.

You're excited about new speakers. Great. But your graph does not show an even response or a "professional" or "extremely dialed in" level of room. Can we blame the speakers or the room? -- probably the room so I'm not laying it at Amphions feet for the FR.

And your "barely working" sub is fully working. Room reinforcement is not giving you a whole octave below the Amphion's specs. That's the sub (possibly with too high a crossover and partially out of phase which is making the odd dips.)
I am not going to argue with you. Agree to disagree. 20-400 is extremely smooth. You're wrong, this statement: "That's the sub (possibly with too high a crossover and partially out of phase which is making the odd dips.) reinforces just how wrong you are to me. I know what my sub is set at, and the crossover is at 50 Hz, level almost all the way down! And to insult someone with a PhD in acoustics is just laughable. Your tongue in cheek "know it all" approach is glaring too. It's a given though that there's a handful of you on every group that can't resist the need to troll and poke and refuse to be wrong. I'll let Ethan know that you don't think he knows what he is doing and is "just being nice". Have a nice day.

P.S. I actually "pulled my graph" to post an even more improved one in the next few days with slight speaker adjustments and treatment tweaks. Don't even feel the need at this point with this banter.

Have a nice day.
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I can confirm that StudioSanctum does not work for Amphion and has not been paid to talk up their product. He is just an excited new user. I talked to him a few days ago. He was on the hunt for some new monitors and tried out several sets and ended up liking the Amphions best.

@ StudioSanctum , can I say "I told you so"?
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post
I can confirm that StudioSanctum does not work for Amphion and has not been paid to talk up their product. He is just an excited new user. I talked to him a few days ago. He was on the hunt for some new monitors and tried out several sets and ended up liking the Amphions best.

@ StudioSanctum , can I say "I told you so"?
LOL, you sure did, Sam! Some interesting cats on here. I'm beginning to wonder if Amphion's competition hasn't sent out some trolls LOL. Thanks for chiming in man! You were bang on in your assessment of the Amphions. Their quality is surpassing anything I might have imagined.
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear

Don't these "I prefer this speaker" posts really mean "I prefer this speaker in my room"? And the ones that say "that's completely WRONG" are really saying "what??? that speaker sounds awful in my room"?

Beyond some basic design parameters, I really don't see how everyone can be so sure about what's right and what's wrong about speaker A vs B without discussing the room first. Whether a speaker wins a shoot out or not is more about the room/speaker interaction than the speaker itself. This is my experience with ATC nationally-over and over and over (and over).

To get a perspective on what a speaker sounds like, demo without room. Go outside and play them in open space! No reflections, no walls, just stands. Then put them in a room- and you'll get a small indication of what your room does.

Brad
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search